Notices

Stay sober here Weekender Thread! Dec 5-7

Old 12-06-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Great job finding the ginger. We are trying to find a box of pencils we bought at Target. Today is the ultimate reminder of why I wanted to redo the kitchen. I want to stick things in the oven and sit at a table listening to a tv, with my show on, or do a crossword puzzle, or post on here. Still a ways to go.

I will make the chicken curry with sweet potatoes and coconut milk but that is stove top. I bought a turkey breast on special and the oven is preheating.

Ever vigilant at the grocery store! As we were walking out a woman was standing there handing out samples of Baileys Irish Cream. None for me, thank you very much, but she gave Miss Ruby a candy cane. Walk on by!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Oh good grief!!! I passed 4000 and didnt notice! Well... Happy 4000 to me!

I would say three quarters were posted in fear... loneliness... anxiety... desperation... just plain trying to understand.

The last quarter has been sober and finding the right words to convey to others that they can live an alcohol free life. Possible isn't just for the other guy but for them too!!!

K
Old 12-06-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!! mine is going to fast as usual!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Oh good grief!!! I passed 4000 and didnt notice! Well... Happy 4000 to me!

I would say three quarters were posted in fear... loneliness... anxiety... desperation... just plain trying to understand.

The last quarter has been sober and finding the right words to convey to others that they can live an alcohol free life. Possible isn't just for the other guy but for them too!!!

K

thank you!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

is that the Tampon emoticon?

I have a 3 day weekend, but have to go to the dentist on Monday AM.
Ruby I love sitting in my kitchen on a counterstool with the granite island. I have a small tv on the counter...love it with a huge picture window that looks out on the Japanese maple I planted and the deer circling to eat whatever....my washer and dryer is also in the in the kitchen in a closet, so a lot goes on in here. the range is a slide in, double oven, but the big oven is LOW, pulling out a 20 lb. turkey with liquid nearly broke my back, it was heavy and ackward. I improvised with a small step stool to place the roaster on after I pulled it out to lift it to the top of the range.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

All Tuckered Out

Good stuff goin' on in here today...

Well done, Weas! Exactly the way my dear ole Mom liked her Steaks: Well Done.

We got a Xmas Tree, and are checking out the Light Strands now. Time to upgrade to LEDs. Half the Strands are dead. Is there an Engineer in da House?

Good Solar streaming in yesterday. Speaking of Kitchens, see our Kitchen Counter view below. I even washed the Window, but you'd never know it.

While Da Wife was off buying Candles from the local Mennonite Gals at the Craft Fair she went to, I cruised off to another Town for Lunch. Found a really good Himalayan Joint and hit their Buffet. Mighty tasty! So, Mission Accomplished, Mr. Phelps. I wanted to try a new Joint.

While we were listening to some Guano-kickin' Music on the Radio, another Song by Tanya Tucker made me think of this one she did circa 1978. Broke out of her Genre back then; not unlike Taylor Swift and others do today.

She done Buddy Holly proud on this one me thinks...

I came up with a superb 5 line Limerick that rhymes off her name, but it's not really fit for this Forum.

'Not Fade Away' ~ Tanya Tucker

-----

-----
Old 12-06-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Fandy, I want your kitchen. And some of your rice pudding. I love rice pudding but no one around here will eat it. So I could say "more for me" but I don't want to eat it all. Maybe it could be an ice cream substitute.

Weasel, congratulations on 4,000!!!!

Well, turkey roasting on hiatus as kids asked for frozen people. I'm a crock at cooking. All this stuff and I give them frozen pizza. Some day I will be the mom in the apron and skirt and heels, smiling as I put the nutritious meal on the table. But it would have to be for my fantasy family since my kids would turn their noses up at it and then stray away from the table. Well, progress not perfection. I'm not passed out.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Another lazy weekend going on here...gonna throw a steak on the grill in a little while.

fandy, your kitchen sounds nice. I want granite counter tops.

Got a hike planned for the morning and a party tomorrow night. I think the focus will be more on food than drink. Sunday was never my night to drink anyway with work on Monday. If it gets uncomfortable I can leave but I'm not anticipating a problem. (But ya never know!)

Ruby, good job being 2 places at once this morning.

OK - getting hungry and that steak sounds good. See you all later.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

How about a checkin for the newbies??? It's the middle of the weekend and a tough time for some. We are here.

How about you? Are you doing ok?
Old 12-06-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders, hope everyone is well!!

I'm just in from my Xmas work night out, that's my 2nd since getting Sober and it was a million times better than the 1st due to me being pretty relaxed about the whole thing this time around, I drove there, we had a great meal, hung around for some conversation and drove home, tomorrow morning there will be no hangover once again, I'm now a part of the other non drinkers in the group, the designated driver crew, even though I was the only person in my car!!

Looking forward to catching up on some SR threads before bedtime, a cup of green tea and then looking forward to Sunday!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Thanks for the shout out to newbies. I've caught myself reading off and on all day but avoiding threads. Probably not the brightest plan.

I'm wrapping up day 5. Not doing great, but physically feel good and looking forward to saying I had a sober weekend. My husband still isn't seeing the big picture, but this is mine and I can do it.

I will not drink today.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Today was not a bad day.

I informed my mother how very annoying she can be. Her reply was "I know, well you can be equally as annoying" and we had a bit of a giggle over it. I am glad I am finally learning how to deal with her and her "ways" with a bit of humour. My therapist said I had better learn how to do this or I will spend all my time getting angry. She's in her 60s. She is unlikely to change at this stage. So the only one who can change here is me.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

PK in the house! It sounds like a nice party. Better when food is the star.

Happyandfree, it was easier to be in two places than I would thought it would be.

Yes, I want to hear how everyone is doing. I'm having a tough night myself. I've felt scattered all day. Then I picked up a Christmas catalog at my mother's yesterday. Vermont Country Store, which has old time kind of gifts. Typewriter for the one you love? Wool socks? Fancy bacon? LIQUEUR FILLED DARK CHOCOLATES AND CAKES. Those goodies stood out like they were outlined in flashing neon and I imagined that sharp clean taste. Whew.

Time to focus on getting my sobbing whining little miss Ruby in bed. Apparently she is having one of those days too. If you so much as look at her cross eyed she bursts into tears. She can't find adhesive tape. That has led to an extended period of crying.

Ah, so I am checking in. It's been tough but I'm ok.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hi JayEl! Hang in there. I'm having a day myself but it's coming to a close, I'm sober and ice cream cures everything. Reaching out was so helpful to me in the beginning and remains super important.

Tetra, now that made me laugh. That's great that you talked to your mom and had a giggle about it. It's healing.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Busy, good day.....took little Grandson to the theater to watch Penguins of Madagascar & ended up leaving after about an hour....He didn't like it & neither did I....we went for ice cream then I took him to the dollar store to buy some gifts for his Mom, Dad & baby Brother. He is a bright light in my life & I am grateful to have spent time with him today. Home now, under my warming blanket with the fireplace on grateful for that too.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Omg...no ice cream in the house! I forgot to get some today. But I quickly remedied the problem by making a gingerbread. It's in the oven as we speak. I'll get the ice cream tomorrow. Which would taste great on the gingerbread. ...
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Happyandfree, I'm glad you remedied the crisis situation. Gingerbread sounds good. I'm about to work on the chicken coconut sweet potato curry.

Bernie, I hope you are doing well today.

MariahGayle, my mom brings my kids to the dollar store. It's a great treat for them. I will bet he had more fun with that than the movie.

Ok. Time for the cooking.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

A gentle reminder to the newer folks that nighttime, especially a weekend night can make people feel a little squirrely. I often found myself at home where I knew it was the best place for me to be but my mind often felt like it left the house and it was out there wandering around. When I felt like that...and still do feel like that at times....the best thing for me to do is to crawl in to my warm bed with a book, magazine, or a word puzzle. Stay strong tonight and see you in the morning for that cup of coffee
Old 12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
A gentle reminder to the newer folks that nighttime, especially a weekend night can make people feel a little squirrely. I often found myself at home where I knew it was the best place for me to be but my mind often felt like it left the house and it was out there wandering around. When I felt like that...and still do feel like that at times....the best thing for me to do is to crawl in to my warm bed with a book, magazine, or a word puzzle. Stay strong tonight and see you in the morning for that cup of coffee
Thanks from a newbie...first day and still sober.
I'm so looking forward to waking up tomorrow without a hangover and without regrets. That's my focus right now.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Those Mornings grow on you, Brynn, and become real keepers worth continuing...