Notices

Stay sober here Weekender Thread! Dec 5-7

Old 12-06-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Yay Brynn! Way to go. That's great. This thread keeps me sane and grounded on weekends.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Waking up without a hangover and no regrets is the best, brynn. You can do it. Keep posting and reading on this site. You will be so happy if you do.

Good Saturday night going on here. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be happy staying home on a Saturday night without a bottle of wine . But I couldn't be more content. Got a busy Sunday planned so I'm happy being home with my dogs tonight. The gingerbread with lemon sauce was delightful. Lots to be thankful for. Newbies: hang in there, it's good to feel good.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Waking up without a hangover and no regrets is the best, brynn. You can do it. Keep posting and reading on this site. You will be so happy if you do.

Good Saturday night going on here. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be happy staying home on a Saturday night without a bottle of wine . But I couldn't be more content. Got a busy Sunday planned so I'm happy being home with my dogs tonight. The gingerbread with lemon sauce was delightful. Lots to be thankful for. Newbies: hang in there, it's good to feel good.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Can' t really save this for Sunday morning

Old 12-06-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Checking in here. Got one project done and sent off, so my mind is a bit more at ease. Didn't go to the botanical gardens tonight, but picked up toriani syrup at world market and then cruised the mall. I had no idea the mall was such a zoo at 8p at night (I generally avoid the mall), but I suppose it is a Saturday and Christmas is coming up.

Ruby2-I am sorry you have felt scattered. I think you had an attack cat when you were lying down. *sending hugs*

Jerri-I just loved the groot video. Thank you!! I am looking forward to guardians of the galaxy being released on video Tuesday. I've been really wanting to see it again.

Mariahgayle-we saw the penguins of madagascar movie as well. I wasn't that impressed and thought it was as good as the specials they have on nickelodeon. Unfortunately, most of the movie was devoid of any adult humor. I'm glad the movie didn't ruin the day for you and the little one.

Brynn-hang in there. It will get better. It may take a bit of time, but it gets better and life is so much better without the alcohol.

Weasel-congrats on 4000 posts! That is wonderful!

Mesaman-I am trying to place where in Colorado you are (used to live there, but have been all over the state with different cycling tours). I have been enjoying the photos. Thank you!

I didn't cook anything tonight since I finished the project around 5:45p. Husband made flat-out pizzas with spinach, goat cheese and provolone. I need to make turkey noodle soup with the leftover turkey from thanksgiving tomorrow. Hearing about the sweet potatoes made me think about this sweet potato chili I made awhile back. Husband loved it. I should make it again.

Received these loose leaf teas I ordered today (got 6 different types). I am so excited to try them. I have peace of mind tea steeping right now.
I hope everyone is doing great.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

I went to my first party since getting sober. Was a bit apprehensive about seeing folks from work. Turned out well. I am missed and appreciated. But they are happy for me that I no longer have to go through the bs I had to endure. And envious that I escaped the lunacy of 'that' place. The horror stories of things still going on. Yeah, I'm good. I didn't even notice people drinking - amazing. Yeah, that was the most amazing thing about it. I didn't think of it till now. It was just being with people and mingling with no concern about drinking.
And I'm still a funny guy My friend let me strum his $1800 mandolin for a bit. A little out of my price range. It was great to see folks I haven't seen for a while and get encouragement and congrats for not drinking. I'm still a celebrity there (work) for good reasons and one wrong reason. It's nice to be missed. They all think a big mistake was made letting me go. But it was a political move and had to be done. And I'm glad.

So, almost a year of not drinking and I felt very comfortable. No desire to drink. The wife told me to behave before I left. And the host said no drinking for you when they started 'making things'. Good night out. Normal sleep. And waking up without having to wait an hour to see straight.
Yeah, Baby, Yeah!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Strategery, what a great name for a tea. It just sounds soothing. Thanks for the hug. Unfortunately, being scattered seems to be my natural state. I've discovered I'm the type that makes lists to remember things and then forgets the list somewhere.

I made the chicken curry and discovered why it said it was a good intro curry for children. It is rather bland. Good enough but boring. So maybe my actual children will eat it.

It's time for me to turn in. The longer I'm sober the more I'm shifting back to my pre alcoholic sleep patterns which is night owl. More energy at night. It just makes it that much harder to get up in the morning. See you all in the morning.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Brain, how great! It sounds like a really affirming, positive night. Congrats on almost a year. Your anniversary is coming up soon, isn't it?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Thought I'd pop in and say hi/good night to all! Had a successful Saturday, stayed busy and ordered pizza for dinner with the family. Will be good to wake up in the morning hangover free. Stay strong everyone!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

great to hear MCAL880 - waking up clear headed is just the beginning.

Thanks Ruby - after xmas/before NYE

Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Night. Going to bed sober for the first time in a year and a half!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

way to go brynn! make it the last first time please.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

It was a good day – busy and got a lot accomplished – but the AV was pretty active today (more so than usual), just popping in at odd moments. Anyway, I was pretty well pooped out and hubby drug me off for a nap around 5. Shoulda stayed up, or gotten up sooner. ‘Cause here I am all wide awake and wishing I wasn’t. I’ve been trying to establish a more regular sleep pattern. This doesn’t help. Arrrghhh!

Strategery – I didn’t see Guardians when it came out in theaters. But I’m already thinking about watching it again. It’s full of great one-liners, and profound in sneaky ways. Love movies like that. I really like it that Groot was going to be able to “Grow Back”, gives me hope. I am Groot!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Up late for me... Felt good to open my eyes to the sun up already. Lazy but not sluggish. Just savoring moments.

The read this morning of what the weekender sober team did once I was fast asleep touched me. The real hope and encouragement from each of you. And I am sure many who don't post. Awesome!!

Waiting for the Trach easy Sunday morning music to start.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good morning Sobrinators!

Stayed up later than normal watching my Buckeyes demolish Wisconsin for the B1G Ten Championship. Might be a playoff berth, as well, but that early loss to Va Tech is hanging around our necks, so I think we might be an outlier. Either way it was a great season.

Congrats Brynn! You have started down the road to a better place. Stick with it. It's tough at first, but keep reading and posting. Especially in this thread, to remind yourself that happiness without alcohol is attainable!

For all the Newbies: We all have to walk this road, but none of us has to walk it alone!

Old 12-07-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

This is my 6th sober weekend and for now, I feel safe and content holing up with H both Friday and Saturday nights watching movies, drinking herbal tea and going to bed early. I actually have felt a little shakier about drinking than I did in the first weeks so I'm taking steps to avoid temptation.

Did some cleaning and Xmas decorating yesterday. Went to yoga, downloaded a meditation app, gave my dog some love. He tore his acl Thursday and will have surgery this week.
Also took care of a lot of Xmas shopping via my dear friend Amazon.

Today, Step class, DD and grandson coming for a visit, relaxing evening and early to bed.

As an aside... The quality of my sleep is improving, but really? Will I never again sleep more than 6 hours???
Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Sunday morning and still sober! 3rd weekend in a row. I doubt I've done that since I was a teenager. Although this cold has me still feeling like garbage, but still better than a massive hangover.

I've tried to get sober a ton of times, but this is the first time I really meant it. I thought I meant it the last few times, but I was just lying to myself and everyone else. I finally am getting to the point where I don't want to drink.

Last night my wife ran out for a few hours. Normally she'd take the keys for the other car too so I couldn't get out. She didn't this time. I could have snuck out without her knowing, but I just didn't want to. She's starting to believe that it is different this time.

Now all I need is a remedy to clear out my sinuses. I think eggs with tons of hot sauce will do it
Old 12-07-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Mornin' All.

Listening to Hootie right now. Thanks, Non.

I got another 6 solid hours after my late nite rambling. So, feeling pretty well rested.

Thinking about a bowl of oatmeal and then bundle up for a walk. It's mid-40s here. I think I'll go walk the sun up.

Later!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Day 6 here and I'm a little shocked I'm getting through, but I'll take it. I can't believe I'm looking forward to Monday but that's ok today. Enjoyed a great dinner last night, first time in a LONG time I've both prepared and ate a big meal! Usually just get it started while guzzling beer and end up passing out or too drunk to want food when it's done. It was nice.

Now, on to pancakes and bacon. Without my stomach turning over from the smell!

I will not drink today!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Sunday. I try to attend an 8 a.m. AA meeting which is a meeting which is more like meeting friends for coffee and sets a nice happy tone for the day. And I have become friends with one of the women there so she is someone I am comfortable reaching out to for support in real life if I need it.

That's great Jerri, Bernie, JayEl, Keno, that you are here this morning. That makes me happy to see. So often I see someone join the thread on Friday and we don't hear from them and you hope they made it but don't know. Stick close if you need to. Keep us posted. Sunday sometimes gets quiet on the thread but we are always here.

Bernie, I have no answer on the sleep thing. My sleep is better but I'm still only getting about six hours. I am a night owl so I push the limit at night and then have to get up at six. Or like this morning, my darling son got up at 5 and proceeded to wake me and my daughter at six. He's nine and a bit rambunctious. A quiet house in the morning is a lonely house in the morning.

Jay I used to do the cooking and not eat. I have gained weight since quitting since I finally started taking care of myself. And the ice cream cure for cravings has contributed to the weight.

Kero, that's great that things worked out. And that your wife left the keys. That is a big thing.

Bernie, good to keep on guard if you are feeling shakier. I found it helped to double up on my efforts and I posted on and read here more than less. Once the memory of physical misery faded those stupid thoughts started that "hey, I wasn't SO bad" and I entertained thoughts that I could moderate but past experience and practice told me that I just couldn't.

Ok. My besetting sin is procrastination and I have to get dressed for this meeting before the sitter arrives. I will see you all later.