Notices

Quitting smoking. Am I having fun yet?

Old 11-15-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Pizza under the door? Oh yeah, I can do that

I have yet to put down the final cigarette, but darned if all of you aren't in the back of my mind saying "c'mon, Amy - you're in good company and they will understand the grumpies"...sigh.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-15-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Quit for you not for anyone else. It took me 30 yes to be ready
Old 11-15-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks, MIR

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

How are you getting on MIR? I managed to stop for over a year but started up a few months ago, stupid stupid stupid! I found it very very very hard but am wanting to stop again very soon, dreading it though! X
Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I too am curious MIR. I went back to 7 mg patch after a week of too thin of a skin and cravings for violence lol...still on it.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

That's great you just went back to a patch Nudawn and not a full packet! When I first started back up I didn't enjoy them at all, still don't as much really, but I struggle hugely with giving up hate the weight gain but hate smoking too! I'm feeling pretty strong being sober now so want to get rid of other things holding me down X
Old 11-25-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
That's great you just went back to a patch Nudawn and not a full packet! When I first started back up I didn't enjoy them at all, still don't as much really, but I struggle hugely with giving up hate the weight gain but hate smoking too! I'm feeling pretty strong being sober now so want to get rid of other things holding me down X
I didn't gain any weight Peace...
Um...I might have had I not put that 7 mg back on though.
The "void" within suddenly got voracious.
You might have missed my "cookie" post lol
Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I'll have a look for the cookie post Yep got to admit that the weight gain was mostly due to the constant eating of cookies and cakes and sweeties instead of smoking lol. I don't think I've managed to grow out of the oral stage of infancy as I seem to need something in my mouth at all times lol ! X
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
I don't think I've managed to grow out of the oral stage of infancy as I seem to need something in my mouth at all times lol ! X
I understand.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Just saw this. Good for you. Keep on keepin on.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm off the patch entirely now - for more than a week!!

Yes, there is a lot of attention to food (including the habit of baking a tray of chocolate chip & walnut cookies with my coffee after work in the evening...). Managing to hold the exact same weight, but only through food journaling and regular walking - concerned that food is becoming unusually important to me. But - I'm remaining kind, engaged at work (always my big concern), & hopeful...

I'm not in a romantic relationship right now, which offers less emotional challenges than is typical for me. I also just started chemo, so I feel like crap anyway, and so the non-smoking & end of nicotine patches is just rolling into my general flulike symptoms.

I feel good about quitting before I started flooding my body with medical chemicals; I imagine that there are limits to the amount of toxins I can handle at once, even if I a a toxicity master (as are we all).

It hurts behind my eyes - I think that is nicotine withdrawal, but it could be the other stuff...
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
I'm off the patch entirely now - for more than a week!!

Yes, there is a lot of attention to food (including the habit of baking a tray of chocolate chip & walnut cookies with my coffee after work in the evening...). Managing to hold the exact same weight, but only through food journaling and regular walking - concerned that food is becoming unusually important to me. But - I'm remaining kind, engaged at work (always my big concern), & hopeful...

I'm not in a romantic relationship right now, which offers less emotional challenges than is typical for me. I also just started chemo, so I feel like crap anyway, and so the non-smoking & end of nicotine patches is just rolling into my general flulike symptoms.

I feel good about quitting before I started flooding my body with medical chemicals; I imagine that there are limits to the amount of toxins I can handle at once, even if I a a toxicity master (as are we all).

It hurts behind my eyes - I think that is nicotine withdrawal, but it could be the other stuff...
You are a total Rock star Heartcore going through chemo and stopping smoking, I hope you kick both those devils butts and feel much much better soon, big hug X
Old 11-26-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

suring the edges

Hey i like the feel of the following quote. . surfing urges/ edges . I should be able to do this ....hell inside me , safer than "out there as "
Smashed sometimes but why i s'm oke is the north shore ... dancing helps a lot.

Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
When I quit the last time my benchmark for success was no body count, no bloody axes, and no public defenders telling me to plea out.

If you haven't killed anyone and you haven't lit up, you are a success story.

Deep breaths, surf the urges, and remember the urge to smoke goes away whether you light up or not.

Rooting for you.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Oops ...learning to express in words does not always come out the way i intend. Not getting smashed on alcohol ...but i felt smashed by the crack lover. So anyways.. i think i will just stop thinking about feeling smashed with insults by one who needed to make sure i didn't get in the way of whatever doc he wants to use and look after myself. To clearly get on with the happy life i want. Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Reporting in and being thankful I'm not smoking. Still not out of the woods yet. Having major problems with triggers like after meals, with coffee, in the car, as a reward.

Nicotine free and trudging the road to happy destiny
Old 11-27-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Reporting in and being thankful I'm not smoking. Still not out of the woods yet. Having major problems with triggers like after meals, with coffee, in the car, as a reward.

Nicotine free and trudging the road to happy destiny
Hey well done MIR good to hear you are still winning X
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

It took me a while, but I finally put down the last cigarette this morning. Reading through this thread again, to remind myself that it's not fun, it can be downright miserable, but it is not impossible.

Thanks again for starting this thread, MIRecovery!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy