Notices

Quitting smoking. Am I having fun yet?

Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Quitting smoking. Am I having fun yet?

This is more fun than a barrel of Monkeys. Guess who is to blame? Yup the usual suspect ME! Others have made it and I will to but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish I had your willpower.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done MIR keep your fine work friend
Old 10-30-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by least View Post
I wish I had your willpower.
Haven't made it yet
Old 10-30-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish you success in your quest. Doing any patches, gum, etc, or just quit?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Arrrgh. Day 22 for me without smoking, and I had a rush of desperate wanting just an hour ago. Dealing with some physical pain, and typically use cigarettes to soften that.

Not smoking though. I LOVE not worrying about the smell following me around like a shadow of shame... I only have to wash my hair every couple of days now, and can wear clothes more than once before I wash them! I can smell every nuance of the world (which is great sometimes, and really disturbing at others).

Like we all did with our drinking, I spent a tremendous amount of time and energy smoking...making sure I had them, leaving what I was doing to go outside and smoke, ridding my person of the smell, extra laundry, extra trips to town, extra time scheduled between things so I could stand in some parking lot and smoke before I got to my destination.

With the weather changing, I am grateful multiple times a day that I'm not outside, huddled in the freezing cold and smoking!

You can do this MIR!!! I've always been the stubborn smoker...always.... I didn't think this was possible, but the momentum of recovery is pulling me along. Power to you!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PS. That sounded awfully chirpy, and that's not how I feel. I don't like it either. I miss smoking. I miss the way I could resolve feelings with it. I miss the way it made me not care so much about things (I'm not being sarcastic, I actually miss that). I don't like it, but there's an overarching "doing the right thing for myself" that is holding me up. And it is getting easier most every day (with the occasional exception), just like quitting alcohol...
Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Did the patch routine so actually I haven't smoked for a long time but now the patches are done and the demon nicotine wants me back big time. More than anything I am so mad that I am suffering and can only blame myself
Old 10-30-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Well off to sleep hopefully tomorrow will be better because today has been pretty bad but I have not had any nicotine so I have been successful
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good timing on thread. Tomorrow is my D-day. Have worked towards it for several weeks......

WE can do this MI and HC!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do it, MI! It's hard, but it was easier for me when I was sober. I couldn't drink without smoking. Don't be too hard on yourself. I found the lozenges finally did the trick when I was ready. I'd tried it all, it all works to some degree, but the lozenges did it in the end. Good luck, you'll love the freedom! It's worth it!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Still on the straight and narrow but this morning was hard and I am pretty wigged out in general.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Hang in there MIR! Of course, you know the benefits are so amazing. For me, this was harder than stopping drinking. I stopped about 3 years ago, and did so on a camping trip for 5 days. I simply didn't bring any. So holed up on an island in Northern Ontario for 5 days was probably not the best idea...but it stuck. Apparently I was pretty grumpy.

I will say that after about 2 months it was a distant memory for me. I admire your strength and efforts to truly get healthy!

There are so many good reasons to quit. Good luck to all of you out there trying to stop.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Still on the straight and narrow but this morning was hard and I am pretty wigged out in general.
And let us know how today goes! Hang in there!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm NOT a happy camper but I'm a nicotine free unhappy camper. Suffered too much now to break I hope
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

Keep going MI!

I switched to vaping several months ago and I have weaned down to a pretty weak juice but I haven't broken free yet.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
now's the time

Ugh. I'm aiming to quit too. Monday's my day... eep. Not looking forward to it but definitely sick of smoking.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Go for it!! You can do it!!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I quit 20 years ago, after a few attempts.

I did the weaning thing for months - probably similar to the patch.

When I finally stopped, I had a few days of intense emotions and no coping tool. Stay the course, my friend. After a couple weeks you'll be Golden.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's been 5 years here. For the first year, the only thing standing between me and smoking was a pack of cigarettes BUT it was so fffing hard getting there, no way was I going back. I'd been smoking since I was a teen. I took Chantix for a month. It was very expensive and I was an ogre! I never slipped and now I would not even consider smoking. I'd like to get to feel the same way about booze, but I'm not there yet.