Notices

new to sobriety

Old 12-14-2014, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to sobriety

Hi everyone,
As the title of my post suggests I'm new to this site as well as new to recovery. My addiction is primarily prescription pain killers however in recent months i have used just about anything to feel comfortably numb. A bit of history about me i had never drank too much through my teens and id occasionally experimented with various drugs but never felt an addiction. When i was 17 i was diagnosed with endometriosis. This condition left me in chronic pain for years which i was prescribed oxcycontin for. I had never heard of this drug before but i was overwhelmingly happy with the way it controlled my pain. After a while i was getting depressed as much condition worsened and i was taking the meds to numb not only the physical pain but the emotional pain as well. At 23 years old my condition had become so severe that i had to have a hysterectomy. The pain continued and so did my depression which resulted in me popping pills like they were lollies. In october of this year my condition worsened again and resulted in the removal of my ovaries as well. Obviously as a result of this i will never be able to have children which at 24 years old is a lot to accept. Over the course of the past two years i have numbed myself with oxcys, vallium, alcohol and basically anything that will stop me feeling any of these overwhelming emotions associated with grief. I am now at a point where i want to appreciate the aspects of my health that i do have and make the most of my life. I am only young and have a lot to be thankful for. My last hurdle of this health battle is my addiction to pain medication. I have tried for the last week to go cold turkey and the withdrawals were hell and i had a relapse just yesterday. I am really just reaching out for any help i can get because i dont want to live my life as a souless shell anymore. I have so much more to give but these pills are taking all of the good and happiness out of me. If anyone has any advice or experience in this area i would love any tips that are available. I have tried giving up so many times but the overwhelming depression that comes over me always makes me relapse. Im scared i will never feel happy again without the high i get from these pills. I know if i dont do stop this time around these pills will be the death of me. Please help.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Billie and welcome to SR. I am very sorry for all you have gone through, partiicularly at such a young age. I think the best thing for you to do is talk to your Dr. about this. You may need medical help to withdraw from the pain meds.

We have a very supportive group of folks here so stick around, read and post.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Billie

Nice to meet you
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Billie!!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Billie...there are doctors that specialize in pain mangment without drugs...but it can be trying, especially at first. It definitely can be done though, and you will find lots of support here.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Billie, to SR. Glad you found us. This is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can absolutely get off them. There is a way out! You may need medical intervention, to get past the early days. Getting past those early days is the key. Bite the bullet and ask for help from a medical professional who is trained in addiction.

I never had children, and my life has been perfectly fine! Yours will be too. There are many women who never have children.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Billie.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So glad you found us Billie - you're not alone with this.

I remember thinking I'd never enjoy anything again without drinking. I had made it a part of every phase of my life - for many years. It seemed impossible to let go, but it was bringing me only misery and danger. You can get free of the pills, Billie. Please stay with us and keep posting. Never give up.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Billie

So glad you found us.

You will find tons of support here.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Billy!