Notices

Quitting smoking. Am I having fun yet?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am just being pissy. I really do appreciate the support
Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

When I quit the last time my benchmark for success was no body count, no bloody axes, and no public defenders telling me to plea out.

If you haven't killed anyone and you haven't lit up, you are a success story.

Deep breaths, surf the urges, and remember the urge to smoke goes away whether you light up or not.

Rooting for you.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
When I quit the last time my benchmark for success was no body count, no bloody axes, and no public defenders telling me to plea out.

If you haven't killed anyone and you haven't lit up, you are a success story.

Deep breaths, surf the urges, and remember the urge to smoke goes away whether you light up or not.

Rooting for you.
LMAO and oh so true
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I'm impressed! You are doing so good! Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I was especially raw yesterday. My recovery meeting got on my nerves and I almost reached across the table and slapped my sister right in the face at dinner. Poor thing couldn't say anything right in my mind in ANY conversation. For most of the day I felt like I wanted to jump right out of my skin....

At about 10 p.m last night I realized I had not put my patch on yesterday. I was down to the 7 mg's and ready to make the leap anyways...I just did it unknowingly.

So here I am...nicotine free...finally. I pray I'm not quite as miserable today as I was yesterday. I'm sure my sis does too.

Right here with ya buddy.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I quit smoking about 6 years ago now. It does get easier, one day youll just realise youve not thought about it all day........the difference for me with smoking is its like the addiction never happened, I never ever think about it, but even when I had a couple of years sober I still thought about being an alcoholic and didnt let go of the addiction in the same way.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

NuDawn -

I had the same experience yesterday, where I forgot to put on a 7 mg patch, and so was nic-free. It's kind of an interesting experience to go through the "on edge" feeling and only realize afterward why... shows that it is likely easier to go through (just a bit of the crankiness) than we anticipate. If I had planned to make that the first day without a patch, I surely would have had all kinds of fear and tension around it & had all kinds of related obsession. As it worked out, it was just sort of an "off" day...but no big deal...

Hang in there - the nicotine part is only a three day thing, so you're down one and two to go...

I'm on day 37 of not actually smoking cigs. I appreciated the step down of the patch. I was going to do it for two months, but if I already have a day out of the way, might stop it now...
Old 11-14-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
NuDawn -

I had the same experience yesterday, where I forgot to put on a 7 mg patch, and so was nic-free. It's kind of an interesting experience to go through the "on edge" feeling and only realize afterward why... shows that it is likely easier to go through (just a bit of the crankiness) than we anticipate. If I had planned to make that the first day without a patch, I surely would have had all kinds of fear and tension around it & had all kinds of related obsession. As it worked out, it was just sort of an "off" day...but no big deal...

Hang in there - the nicotine part is only a three day thing, so you're down one and two to go...

I'm on day 37 of not actually smoking cigs. I appreciated the step down of the patch. I was going to do it for two months, but if I already have a day out of the way, might stop it now...
4 years ago I went through the whole wean down as "box suggested" and was nicotine free for probably 4 or 5 months. When I "picked up"...? Oh man was that stupid...but ...relapse always is now isn't it. I made the "decision" to go buy smokes in order to "not feel" as I didn't think the situation "warranted feeling" (ya...isn't that messed up?). I remember grabbing my keys to go to store and seriously...the angel popped up on one shoulder and stopped me "hey..c'mon..seriously..do you REALLY want to do this? Don't. Don't Don't".

And then the other little red guy popped up on the other.. "go ..run...run ..go to the store now...do it..do it...do it". Bizarre.

So ya..picked up that pack a smokes and opened some wine..and fell back into more addiction madness. I seriously have been wearing the 21 mg patch off and on for the past four years ...with smoking bouts in between.

I have FINALLY weaned down and off.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

(Hey, Nuu, I loved the Ab Fab ep with Patsy and her nicotine patches...)

Smoking is the biggest beatch of all, isn't it? Just ordered one of those vape things off ebay (a good one)...

For me, I need something to do with my hands. I gave up for six months once by knitting all the time...I sure learnt how to knit properly, lol.

If I couldn't knit, I ripped up paper instead. Didn't work out, in the end
Old 11-14-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I found there were 2 days that were horrible and two days that were bad so there is an end. No fun but possible
Old 11-14-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

OK, decided I'd "follow directions" and finish the 2 month "weaning process." I felt suddenly unsafe, diverging from the plan. I think that planning is a critical construct for me in early sobriety - I'm the girl who has charts for things, and little typed lists with boxes - it makes me feel in control. Now, mind you, I never actually finish any of the charts or lists (although I often DO complete the intention they are marking). The piles of paper in my house are rife with half completed charts and lists. Still, the "super-structure" of a plan helps me not feel so adrift, as though I just need to follow instructions and will succeed. The accidental patch quit yesterday just left me all aflutter and confused.

And yes, all relapse, whether cigs or booze or fill-in-the-blank does involve an almost audible dialog between the little shoulder beings from cartoons. And the decision to GO! is always sudden and very very decided. Once the GO! happens, my little angelic shoulder friend has been toppled and muted with duct tape. I'm a very rebellious and confident relapser.

But today I was running and - how weird is this - was not out of breath. I'm feeling pretty delighted with the decision not to put any more smoke in my lungs (from either source...). The nicotine addiction is a whole nother category, not particularly troublesome at the moment. I don't want to stick with it for more than the two months though, mostly because the patches cost money and offer no pleasure whatsoever (I know that non-smokers still don't understand the pleasure associated with smoking, but I sure feel it. It was always worth the money to me - and in Alaska, cigs cost!). But the patches...boring...no value...

Look at you MIR - all being supportive from the other side!! Yaay!! You did it!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
And yes, all relapse, whether cigs or booze or fill-in-the-blank does involve an almost audible dialog between the little shoulder beings from cartoons. And the decision to GO! is always sudden and very very decided. Once the GO! happens, my little angelic shoulder friend has been toppled and muted with duct tape. I'm a very rebellious and confident relapser.
I hear that. Man, that was a good chuckle. Thank you.

Okay...I'm right beside you Alaska..you freaking ran outside today? But yes, I find running is awesome affirmation of what we are doing!

And Janie..haven't seen that episode. MUST seek and find.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

MIR - you are my inspiration, not for the first time I need to quit smoking, have made one pack last about 3 days, but am worried about the grumpy period (just started a new job) and gaining weight.

You have been through more, in the last year, than I ever have, yet here you are quitting smoking.

I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I keep checking here and reading. The time is coming, and I know I will be welcome in my grumpy mood here.

Thank you, my friend. You've helped me out in so many ways, and I trust you to tell me how it really is, and to be there for me when I finally put the last damned cigarette out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
MIR - you are my inspiration, not for the first time I need to quit smoking, have made one pack last about 3 days, but am worried about the grumpy period (just started a new job) and gaining weight.

You have been through more, in the last year, than I ever have, yet here you are quitting smoking.

I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I keep checking here and reading. The time is coming, and I know I will be welcome in my grumpy mood here.

Thank you, my friend. You've helped me out in so many ways, and I trust you to tell me how it really is, and to be there for me when I finally put the last damned cigarette out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Thanks for the kind words and I have never sugar coated things. Day 1 bad, day 2 really bad, day 3 really bad, day 4 bad, day 5 I think I can do this.

Oh lord I am so hungry it is insane. I am going to look like Jahba the hut but first things first. I still am not a happy camper but things are getting better
Old 11-14-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

MIR- Thanks for being real, as always

I've been wearing a fitbit, making my daily step goals. If I can do that AND quit smoking without smacking someone upside the head, I will have it made.

I've done it before, made it 3 months, a year, 3 years, yet went back. Slap me silly, as I want to make the next quit the LAST one!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-15-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I was especially raw yesterday. My recovery meeting got on my nerves and I almost reached across the table and slapped my sister right in the face at dinner. Poor thing couldn't say anything right in my mind in ANY conversation. For most of the day I felt like I wanted to jump right out of my skin....

At about 10 p.m last night I realized I had not put my patch on yesterday. I was down to the 7 mg's and ready to make the leap anyways...I just did it unknowingly.

So here I am...nicotine free...finally. I pray I'm not quite as miserable today as I was yesterday. I'm sure my sis does too.

Right here with ya buddy.
I think it best if we get locked in our rooms and they slide pizzas under the door
Old 11-15-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Nuu, there's a short clip in here, 2 mins in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcRYQHz4JAY
Old 11-15-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I think it best if we get locked in our rooms and they slide pizzas under the door
Oh yes...I so agree. Day 3 now and this should be last day of final nicotine expulsion sputterings. My sister had an out of town friend overnight last night. The friend gets on my nerves at the best of times...

Over morning coffee, I was wishing a truck would burst through living room and squash her.

Yes.. I'm horrid.

And Janie...the AB FAB Rehab vid was fantastic!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

This old commercial always summed up the process well for me...

NicoDerm Commercial - YouTube
Old 11-15-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Oh yes...I so agree. Day 3 now and this should be last day of final nicotine expulsion sputterings. My sister had an out of town friend overnight last night. The friend gets on my nerves at the best of times...

Over morning coffee, I was wishing a truck would burst through living room and squash her.

Yes.. I'm horrid.

And Janie...the AB FAB Rehab vid was fantastic!
Horrid but very funny