Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 2

Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Deal!
Good morning everyone. Let's do this today. It's a beautiful day to wake up
Old 10-23-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday Day 11, Woke up early and ready to go, Called Kim and woke her up rather then her normal alarm clock waking her up, Had a great chat and made plans for her to come back to the cabin November 6. I decided it is a no work day Im heading out with Dakota and not really sure where we will end up or what we are going to do but it will be fun and it will be alcohol free. Have a Great Day Enjoy being sober
Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

The post a while back about "playing the tape forward" has really stuck with me the last few days. That's the best advice I have heard in a long time. I think I often know the possible consequences of my actions but tend to dismiss them. Playing the tape forward really makes me address the things that I know will happen rather than thinking of consequences as "what-ifs". So thank you to the person who posted that. I can't look back to see right now because I am at work and in a hurry.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone

Not much to report here, still motoring on and (like a lot of us) using Netflix, knitting and sweets to keep me going
Old 10-23-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

AllieKat. That was Findingtheway. I like this too. It works.

The problem I have now is just dealing with thoughts and anxiety. Especially when I lay down to sleep. There's a level of discomfort. I have to switch my thought patterns when this happens. Positivity. I can kinda see now why I drank. Why other people drink. It's an easy out. But its so stupid. Too many consequences. Pushing on! Enjoy a sober day everyone.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Welcome tommy and changel!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Day Three for me Octoberites! Should be a nice day here too.

We can do this together!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

3 weeks sober today. Thanks for the support guys! Couldn't have done it alone.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Day 2.

Slept poorly but am feeling much better. Mostly just a little overwhelmed. Lots of self doubt about my ability to do this, despite what I know is best for me.

Anyway, I know I won't drink today. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

"Being a high functioning alcoholic takes a TON of work... powering through and seeming normal when you're wrestling an addiction is a herculean feat. If you've managed to do that for so long, you can manage to quit. It's uncomfortable and unpleasant sometimes but so is going to work with a secret hangover."

Yes. This!! Can't even count how many times I've powered through with a hangover. People used to think I didn't get hangovers. Oh no, I sure did!! I just wouldn't let on that I had one. Ugh! So glad I'm not doing that anymore.

NCG
Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FutureNow View Post
Anyway, I know I won't drink today. Thanks.
You've nailed it! Just don't drink TODAY! Took me quite awhile to wrap my thoughts around it, but it IS really that easy.

You've got it! Just build on top.

We're here to help!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Best of luck today, awesome class of October.
Continuing my journey today. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Could someone please just hit me over the head with something heavy so I can stay asleep until this cold goes away?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Checking in. Been busy this morning getting some loose ends wrapped up with a few volunteer duties, booking appointments, and such. Need to go read and catch up.

My daughter and I had a good talk yesterday and we are happy now. Hugged it out. She is very stressed with high school. It is a very challenging program at our school, and she had a falling out with some friends on top of that. The falling out is no great loss from my perspective, but it hurts her nonetheless. Booked her to see her therapist. I think that will help her, which will help me. A nice neutral party to advise her.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

There are several new folks over last few days.....welcome everyone! The weekend can be especially challenging (is for me) so a thread starts on Thursday and goes through the weekend.... It is the weekender thread for Oct. 24-26 started by weasel. It's a nice place to check out for a little extra encouragement.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
now's the time

Job interview today, fingers crossed. It's just the very first screening interview, but still glad to have a lead.

Three weeks ago I had an interview and I had to decide: which is worse... coming in obviously hung over, or having a beer before the interview so that I'm not shaky? I ended up having a beer. Insanity.

Very pleased to be drinking my coffee and researching the company in preparation rather than worrying about the visibility of my habit. I even got a frickin' manicure. If it doesn't go well, I'll be able to know that it wasn't because of my self neglect/abuse.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Room for someone new? I'll be upfront that alcohol has caused me problems here and there but heroin is my battle. I haven't used since oct 19th so 5 days of cold turkey detox has been a nightmare. There's a temptation coming up to use tomorrow or Saturday and I'm hoping to get through that without ending up at day 1 again.

So maybe I can hop in here?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Amester,

Just hopped in myself. Welcome. Everyone is super supportive.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, and all the new people - I just had a late one at work, and the tradition is to go out for a beer after... I was tempted, they persuaded and cajoled... but i went home!!! I didnt really level with them, wasnt honest, but told a white lie to get me out of the situation... I am sitting here, putting invites to my sons 8th borthday party in enveloppes... am i am still sober... another day 5 done. Hoep I can make it through the weekend, and holiday next week, big drinking times. But bollix to it, I will not drink.

Big love to you all and strenght in you struggles... thanks for being here x
Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
now's the time

Welcome Amester Maybe it would help to sit down now and put together a schedule of sober things to do for the weekend? That helps me a lot... last weekend I went out Saturday night and really was tempted to drink, but I was able to control myself because I had already decided on a full day on Sunday starting early in the morning. Then instead of "but drinking would make this more fun" it became "which is more fun — 2 hours of drinking now, or 8 hours of fun things tomorrow?" and that was some pretty straightforward math.