Notices

Are you a Alcoholic ?

Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Seems to me, many of us are offended by and ashamed of our medical diagnosis.

Alcoholism or Alcohol Dependence.

I can't think of any other diagnosis that so many people are so deeply offended and ashamed of.

Does anyone know anyone with a different physical or mental affliction who will simply not "own" their diagnosis??

I can think of people who are legally blind, none too happy about it, but still, I have never met one yet who walks around saying in a round sense "how dare you put that offensive label on me. Nothing wrong with my eyes at all. I am more than my eyes you know"

I own what i am, because I have researched the medical and scientific research.

After that, all offence and shame melted away.
Ashamed of our medical diagnosis? I don't have a medical diagnosis.

To class alcohol abuse in the same category as actual physical maladies such as your injured eyes example is an insult to those with physical disabilities, injuries or diseases.

I can imagine someone getting a shock on being told they have cancer. But I just can't imagine the same scenario with someone who has a drink problem....the doctor walks into the waiting room, 'I'm afraid it's bad news..' 'what is it doctor???' 'I'm afraid you have....alcoholism!!!' 'what??? no!! surely not! that can't be?' 'yes it is, sorry. It's just shown up in the radiofibulator thingy'

I think it's that mentality that keeps a lot of people drinking. 'oh I'm an alcoholic, that's what I am. I'll keep drinking so'

Do heroin addicts have a mental illness too? or are they addicted to a drug? How about potheads? mental illness?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Wow, lots of emotions for what I thought was just a simple question.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post

Do heroin addicts have a mental illness too? or are they addicted to a drug? How about potheads? mental illness?
I can see why you call yourself 'ancient' mariner.

Essentially yes, if a person is living a sane, wholesome life, happy and contented........ They don't abuse drugs or booze do they?

Booze and drugs are self medication for a range of underlying mental issues.

I see you still cling to the old school thinking that we are just bad people who need to strengthen our morals.

Times have changed my ancient friend. Medical science now understands a lot about what drives people to self medicate.

It's not just about "addiction " to a substance...... It's about what drives people to seek shelter in booze and drugs in the first place.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I'm in remission.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yes I am.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

It took me having to identify myself as an alcoholic in order for me to understand how far off normal my drinking actually was! No heavy drinker i have ever known would consider rehab, come to SR, or ever call themselves an alcoholic.

I used to call myself an alcoholic when i was really drunk for most of my drinking career, the word meant nothing to me at all apart from confirming to me the hopelessness of my drinking and allowing me to feel how i really wanted to feel.

It was only when i went to AA that the word alcoholic became a positive word, where there was hope. Terms like recovered alcoholic were bandied around and i wanted to be one of them.

I wasn't alcohol dependent till the very end of my drinking, had i been i might have found another way to get sober earlier on through another method but unfortunately i was getting the treatment for an alcohol abuser when i was alcohol dependent and didn't even know it at that stage.

I think the word alcoholic doesn't matter as long as one knows what it means and can then accept that is what they are rather than just thinking that most people at some point have a problem with alcohol which is utter rubbish and called denial.

For example what does alcoholic mean to me:

1. If i have one drink i am likely to have 10, even if i don't have 10 on the first/fiftieth night it's coming
2. When i drink i will feel like crap for a while afterwards. My emotions will be all over the place, my anxiety levels will rise, i will be more impatient, intolerant etc. I will feel weak, my self esteem will go through the floor, i will feel like a failure.
3. If i drink i will crave more when i stop drinking, more than crave i will obsess over it making myself unhappy at the prospect of drinking again or not drinking again.

You know stuff like that and more. If i really know that will happen, really know without any doubt in my mind or any inkling of a belief that things may be different next time then i am in a good position to not want to drink but in my experience to put oneself in that position requires a huge change in perception and a personality change/polish.

So in answer to the question am i an alcoholic? Yes i am. Why do i use the word alcoholic? It's the most widely used word that i have come across to describe me in the recovery arena. Am i an alcoholic out in public or in normal life? No i am someone who just doesn't drink alcohol.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I think I might be, but I hesitate saying the word out loud.

:-/
Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

For me, this might be one of the best topics I've seen on SR--thank you for starting it!

At times I've thought I might be an alcoholic and at other times I've convinced myself that I'm just a problem drinker--labels are difficult.

So after reading all the great posts here--I think I'll say yes I am an alcoholic, but I am currently in "remission", while my brain is slowly (alas, very slowly) healing.

As far as addiction being a mental illness--I think the science is very clear that addicted brains have significant physical differences from non-addicted brains. The question now is does the brain ever heal either partially or completely and how long it takes if ever.

The Science of Addiction: Drugs, Brains, and Behavior
Alcoholics' Brains Recover Quickly After Detox

When out with the wife or others- I also don't use the A word, I'm just a non-drinker.

Whitepawn

BTW--Try asking folks with schizophrenia if they have schizophrenia--this is a medical diagnosis that is probably denied even more than alcoholism.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I'm a longtime alcohol abuser. Scratch that -- I WAS a longtime alcohol abuser!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

This is a loaded question. I typed a few responses and deleted them. Greater society has a lot of long term implications for the label Alcoholic. Unless you are a celebrity, a lot of people have to worry about the effect of this label on job and career prospects. So while I'd be fine using it for myself, I wouldn't be announcing it to business contacts. It is never predictable how people will perceive you with this label.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Not sure it matters, after all it's just a word. Personally I would say I'm a problem drinker, ie; my drinking causes problems and I should stop, but that's harder than I expected it would be due to the fact I drink to deal with issues of various sorts. I definitely have 'symptoms' that are associated with alcoholics.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Greater society has a lot of long term implications for the label Alcoholic...
That is a good point, if I did use it to label myself I wouldn't be quite so eager to use it in public. Neither would it be a term I would use for anybody else unless they were comfortable with it themselves.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I have been greatly affected by my alcoholism. All areas of my life. I have no career anymore and not sure what I am gonna do. But I have finally truly accepted that I am an alcoholic and may have to honest explain all the firings, arrests, and financial problems.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Yes indeed I am.