View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
AncientMariner

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Seems to me, many of us are offended by and ashamed of our medical diagnosis.

Alcoholism or Alcohol Dependence.

I can't think of any other diagnosis that so many people are so deeply offended and ashamed of.

Does anyone know anyone with a different physical or mental affliction who will simply not "own" their diagnosis??

I can think of people who are legally blind, none too happy about it, but still, I have never met one yet who walks around saying in a round sense "how dare you put that offensive label on me. Nothing wrong with my eyes at all. I am more than my eyes you know"

I own what i am, because I have researched the medical and scientific research.

After that, all offence and shame melted away.
Ashamed of our medical diagnosis? I don't have a medical diagnosis.

To class alcohol abuse in the same category as actual physical maladies such as your injured eyes example is an insult to those with physical disabilities, injuries or diseases.

I can imagine someone getting a shock on being told they have cancer. But I just can't imagine the same scenario with someone who has a drink problem....the doctor walks into the waiting room, 'I'm afraid it's bad news..' 'what is it doctor???' 'I'm afraid you have....alcoholism!!!' 'what??? no!! surely not! that can't be?' 'yes it is, sorry. It's just shown up in the radiofibulator thingy'

I think it's that mentality that keeps a lot of people drinking. 'oh I'm an alcoholic, that's what I am. I'll keep drinking so'

Do heroin addicts have a mental illness too? or are they addicted to a drug? How about potheads? mental illness?