# 41 (permalink)  

I suppose...
Old 09-26-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Do your best

sorry blank post
Old 09-26-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I certainly am. Just not drinking now, so symptom-free.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Gratefully.......
Wouldn't trade a thing for the journey

Old 09-26-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I believe I have an addictive personality, and also that alcohol is my DOC, so Im addicted to it
Old 09-26-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yes. Definitely. No doubt in my mind. I don't really like the word - I believe the PC term is alcohol challenged.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

The PC term is "alcoholic". the PC crowd love terms that have no real meaning and are confusing

a drunk or lush are the non PC terms
Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SadieJack View Post
When you go to AA, don't you announce yourself as an alcoholic? You don't say, "Hi, my name is Joe and I'm a heavy drinker"
Like at the door as you walk in?

Not everybody goes to AA.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Yes. Although I think 'alcohol dependent' sounds slightly nicer
Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Know i am just wondering on what newbies think ?
What's your answer?
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Only if I go to an AA meeting.

I consider myself as having a drinking problem. I have a problem with drinking, it seems deep-seated, and it seems to be uncontrollable right now. I do not know what the future holds, but I don't plan on drinking today, and tomorrow is looking pretty good as well.

The term 'alcoholic', as others have stated above me, has far too many buggaboos associated with it, and makes people have, I believe, a wrong-headed and false view and belief of the person.

Also, and here is where I REALLY depart from others- I'm an optimist, and I don't believe/hope that someday, this will not be the issue it is now- whether by science, medicine, psychology, or something else. Will that day be next Monday? Next year? Next decade? I doubt it, and I don't know.

I have a problem with alcohol (not the other way around- alcohol isn't at fault- I am), I choose, daily, not to drink, and I (generally do not struggle with that on a day-by-day basis. For now, I am okay with that.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

I just want to say im more than grateful your all the replies

i knew i would get diffrent answers as we are all diffrent but it is interesting as this thread grows how this thread has struck a chord with so many in some way shape or form good bad indiffrent etc

we all identify the issue the problem the label in our own ways and i hope the replies keep coming this thread was never intended to cause offence if it helps i really dont like the term alki
Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

My medical chart states " chronic alcoholism" and I will not dispute my doctor...YES I am an alcoholic. I hope I will be a "recovering" alcoholic the rest of my life as opposed to a practicing alcoholic.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Yes and no. It's tough to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

I was completely addicted to pot for quite a few years in my teens and early 20s. I would go bonkers if I couldn't get hold of it and tear my room apart looking for roaches when I ran out. However, it started giving me extreme panic attacks and even though I kept going for a while, I stopped eventually. It wasn't easy at first, but 10+ years later I don't think about it at all and I don't miss it. I've smoked pot maybe 5 times since I quit (cause I was drunk and being stupid), and didn't have a good time. Am I a pot addict? No. Not anymore.

Am I an alcoholic? Yes - right now I do consider myself an alcoholic.

Does that mean that I'll be able to have a drink or two in a few years? Knowing me and my history, I wouldn't want to find out. For me, part of being an alcoholic is the physical and psychological addiction that plagues you day in and day out. I think that someday I might be able to say to myself: I'm not an alcoholic. I'm just someone who chooses not to drink.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Avice View Post
Yes and no. It's tough to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

I was completely addicted to pot for quite a few years in my teens and early 20s. I would go bonkers if I couldn't get hold of it and tear my room apart looking for roaches when I ran out. However, it started giving me extreme panic attacks and even though I kept going for a while, I stopped eventually. It wasn't easy at first, but 10+ years later I don't think about it at all and I don't miss it. I've smoked pot maybe 5 times since I quit (cause I was drunk and being stupid), and didn't have a good time. Am I a pot addict? No. Not anymore.

Am I an alcoholic? Yes - right now I do consider myself an alcoholic.

Does that mean that I'll be able to have a drink or two in a few years? Knowing me and my history, I wouldn't want to find out. For me, part of being an alcoholic is the physical and psychological addiction that plagues you day in and day out. I think that someday I might be able to say to myself: I'm not an alcoholic. I'm just someone who chooses not to drink.

Does that make sense?
You're complicated

...I get you though!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm now a "non drinker"!!

Not sure what I was before, "alcoholic", "problem drinker", they're just labels, the reality was myself and alcohol needed to part ways on a permanent basis!!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Avice-

Makes sense to me.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
Only if I go to an AA meeting.

I consider myself as having a drinking problem. I have a problem with drinking, it seems deep-seated, and it seems to be uncontrollable right now. I do not know what the future holds, but I don't plan on drinking today, and tomorrow is looking pretty good as well.

The term 'alcoholic', as others have stated above me, has far too many buggaboos associated with it, and makes people have, I believe, a wrong-headed and false view and belief of the person.

Also, and here is where I REALLY depart from others- I'm an optimist, and I don't believe/hope that someday, this will not be the issue it is now- whether by science, medicine, psychology, or something else. Will that day be next Monday? Next year? Next decade? I doubt it, and I don't know.

I have a problem with alcohol (not the other way around- alcohol isn't at fault- I am), I choose, daily, not to drink, and I (generally do not struggle with that on a day-by-day basis. For now, I am okay with that.
I have a problem with alcohol (not the other way around- alcohol isn't at fault- I am)

I find that quite tragic actually. To imply that you have a fault because your body and mind doesn't cope with the ingestion of a DRUG. Does the fact that there was prohibition in the US not mean anything to you? Alcohol was banned because of the devastating effect it was having on society. Alcohol is still wrecking havoc on society. Look in the hospitals, look in the prisons, look at the people living in the gutter....

...but you think you are at fault. You think the body that mother nature/god/the universe/your creator gave to you....a biological wonder is faulty.....and a fermented, liquid drug is not at fault. Interesting.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Recovering alcoholic sits just fine with me.
God help me the day i forget it.
G
Old 09-26-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

When I drink, I drink until I'm drunk. There's no other reason for me to drink so, yes I'm an alcoholic.