Notices

Are you a Alcoholic ?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Alcoholic, drunk, chronic beverage mismanager -- semantics, man. Some people really seem to care a lot about labeling things. You can call it sixteen-potato-elevator if it makes you feel better.

I just know that if I drink, things start falling apart, so I don't drink, and things are (mostly) not falling apart.

yeah, definitely sounds like sixteen-potato-elevator . .
Old 09-26-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Do your best

And sorry i havnt thanked anyone yet its so no one thinks i favor one comment over the other

not that i have to explain but when the thread is done il thank each and every one of you

for now im really enjoying the big broad spectrum of answers keep em coming
Old 09-26-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
I have a problem with alcohol (not the other way around- alcohol isn't at fault- I am)

I find that quite tragic actually. To imply that you have a fault because your body and mind doesn't cope with the ingestion of a DRUG. Does the fact that there was prohibition in the US not mean anything to you? Alcohol was banned because of the devastating effect it was having on society. Alcohol is still wrecking havoc on society. Look in the hospitals, look in the prisons, look at the people living in the gutter....

...but you think you are at fault. You think the body that mother nature/god/the universe/your creator gave to you....a biological wonder is faulty.....and a fermented, liquid drug is not at fault. Interesting.
I would never blame anything in my life or anybody else's life on alcohol. i don't know if that's part of one of the many definitions of alcoholism..but like i said before i'm not an alcoholic

giving that power to something inanimate...do you stop to think how illogical that is?

there are other major problems in life that have nothing to do with alcohol
It's not a blame game its just human behavior..alcohol is an innocent bystander
Old 09-26-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
I would never blame anything in my life or anybody else's life on alcohol. i don't know if that's part of one of the many definitions of alcoholism..but like i said before i'm not an alcoholic

giving that power to something inanimate...do you stop to think how illogical that is?

there are other major problems in life that have nothing to do with alcohol
It's not a blame game its just human behavior..alcohol is an innocent bystander
Your point is not very clear.

You do realise that the line in italics is not part of my message, don't you? It's in italics because I highlighted that part of someone else's message. I think you've joined the two messages and confused yourself...
Old 09-26-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AncientMariner View Post
Your point is not very clear.

You do realise that the line in italics is not part of my message, don't you? It's in italics because I highlighted that part of someone else's message. I think you've joined the two messages and confused yourself...
my point is clear and it was you that is implying that alcohol is the problem..not the person...not hobbers
Old 09-26-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

my point is clear and it was you that is implying that alcohol is the problem..not the person...not hobbers
Ah I tried to give you credit by thinking what you said derived from a misunderstanding of the two texts. But you simply failed to see my point.....Nevermind.

I didn't imply anything. I clearly stated that the previous poster was not to blame...he/she is designed perfectly. I clearly stated that alcohol is a drug that causes havoc on society. I clearly stated that I find it tragic that the previous poster is lamenting the fact that he is to blame, as opposed to alcohol.

Where did I try to 'imply' anything...

If you can't see that society has brainwashed is into thinking that consuming a poison (which it clearly is) is normal and social (which it clearly is not) then we clearly disagree on that point.

If you find that logical or not, that's up to you. Clearly my point and my exchange with the previous poster was standing up for him/her as a human being, when to me it seemed like he/she was putting him/her self down or berating him/herself for not being able to consume a poison.

What's your motivation? To drag me into a neurotic exchange by any chance?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Yes I am an alcoholic.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

You can call me what you want. I am what I am but mostly I'm me.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

you were standing up for your dogmatic belief..don't try to to tell me you were standing up for him as a human being.. just spare me that...why do you think he needs standing up for?

why don't you just let him be then..i really just wanted to understand how someone can logically come to such a point of view....no hidden motivation...i didn't misunderstand your text..so don't pull that one either....no worries...i;m not going to bother with you anymore
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

you were standing up for your dogmatic belief..don't try to to tell me you were standing up for him as a human being.. just spare me that...why do you think he needs standing up for?

why don't you just let him be then..i really just wanted to understand how someone can logically come to such a point of view....no hidden motivation...i didn't misunderstand your text..so don't pull that one either....no worries...i;m not going to bother with you anymore
I think your the one standing up for your dogmatic belief. Your projecting that on to me....

good luck growing up.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Know i am just wondering on what newbies think ?
Am I an alcoholic?

No, I'm not.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I wonder if when you started this thread you really just wanted to see how many people accept that they are addicted to or have a problem with alcohol. Thereby labeling themselves "alcoholics". I don't think everyone who has accepted that they have a problem with alcohol likes to label themselves an "alcoholic".

You can call me whatever you want. All I know is that I don't want to drink alcohol because I have an addiction problem with it. I'm addicted to alcohol. So, if that's the definition of "alcoholic" then I'm an alcoholic. I shy away from that label, but it is what it is. No doubt in my mind that I cannot moderate, and if I have 1 sip of alcohol my mind will go bonkers.

It's such a strong label, isn't it?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Yes I think I'm an alcoholic. I don't have an off switch and I've spent way to much time obsessing about another drink.

That's just how I feel about my addiction.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic, but I am no longer a drunk.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
: YES. :

...AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!!!

Bunnez
I'm adding to mine.

My name is Jill, and I'm an alcoholic.

I was smart, cunning, cute and drunk.

Now, I am smart, cunning, cute and Sober.

So watch out.

Bunnez
Old 09-26-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just want to thank you all for your imput on this thread

Thanks
Old 09-26-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Seems to me, many of us are offended by and ashamed of our medical diagnosis.

Alcoholism or Alcohol Dependence.

I can't think of any other diagnosis that so many people are so deeply offended and ashamed of.

Does anyone know anyone with a different physical or mental affliction who will simply not "own" their diagnosis??

I can think of people who are legally blind, none too happy about it, but still, I have never met one yet who walks around saying in a round sense "how dare you put that offensive label on me. Nothing wrong with my eyes at all. I am more than my eyes you know"

I own what i am, because I have researched the medical and scientific research.

After that, all offence and shame melted away.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

well, I don't think it need be shame or offence at all Hawks.

The words alcoholic and alcoholism, like it or not, are fairly dripping with cultural meaning and baggage.

I don't find it a surprise at all that many people don't want to wear that mantle.

I have no problem declaring myself an alcoholic here... but if I'm at a dinner with Mrs Dee for her work, for example, I wouldn't do that because it's not 'all about me'.

All I have to do in those situations is say 'no thank you I don't drink'.

That's thoughtfulness and consideration for my missus - not shame.

Not wearing the A word doesn't mean folks can't get to the nitty gritty of their problem either...

as long as people accept they have a problem, and accept what they have to do to fix it, they can call 'it' Trevor for all I care....

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-27-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Does anyone know anyone with a different physical or mental affliction who will simply not "own" their diagnosis??
Try explaining to your boss that you have anorexia or bulimia.

~~~

I don't really think about whether or not I'm an alcoholic or not. To me it's the fluffy aspect of things - what it's called, how I call myself.

My name is Rogue, but I don't call me Rogue to myself. If that makes sense. I'm just - me. For me it's the same way with this "label". I may, or may not, be an alcoholic - but I don't refer to myself as one in my head.

When I'm in a meeting, of course I introduce myself as an alcoholic. All of us calling ourselves by the same term helps unify us in our purpose (imho!)...

Six of one, half dozen of another. Labels are tools, a means to an end/goal. Find the one that works for you

Just my .02
Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
well, I don't think it need be shame or offence at all Hawks.

The words alcoholic and alcoholism, like it or not, are fairly dripping with cultural meaning and baggage.

I don't find it a surprise at all that many people don't want to wear that mantle.

I have no problem declaring myself an alcoholic here... but if I'm at a dinner with Mrs Dee for her work, for example, I wouldn't do that because it's not 'all about me'.

All I have to do in those situations is say 'no thank you I don't drink'.

That's thoughtfulness and consideration for my missus - not shame.

Not wearing the A word doesn't mean folks can't get to the nitty gritty of their problem either...

as long as people accept they have a problem, and accept what they have to do to fix it, they can call 'it' Trevor for all I care....

D
10,000% this ps the trevor line smashed it