Notices

A thread of hope for the weekenders! July 11-13

Old 07-12-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

This a great thread. It's a beautiful day in my neck of the woods and I'm sober and feeling pretty energetic! I think I need to celebrate with ice cream after I take my dogs to the park, then watch the World Cup and come back and read some more. The last few days I've been looking at initial posts from members whose words have resonated with me, sort of "I want what they've got" type of thing. I find it inspiring to look back at posts from their early sobriety to living happy fulfilling lives sober...one day at a time.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForgetfulKevin View Post
I finally looked up what a spinning class was. All this time I had been thinking "doesn't that make people dizzy?"
you mean this?
Whirling Dervishes - YouTube
Old 07-12-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Brain, I saw your pics of your yard. Gorgeous but I can see a lot of work. I have a hard enough time with my postage stamp. My parents went fairly low maintenance as you can see. The occasional weeding and mowing. When the pond isn't in place. Not much grass.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is on and I walked in just as the Knight Bus scene started. Which is the purple bus pic I posted. How odd! A funny scene.

Mother in law did arrive. I am steering clear. She gives me the willies. Planning my menu and saw a thing I thought sounded good in my cooking light magazine which gets delivered to my parents house. Peaches and prosciutto with mascarpone cheese on baguette slices. Seems easy enough. Maybe it's just that I am starving. Hubby ordered pizza.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

I know not everyone is a fan of fifties kitsch but this is the flamingo shell lamp. I have two and I like things in threes. Neither of mine have the flamingo. That is why it's the grail. I bought the first one as a joke. Then I got fond of it. Added a second. They have a really nice glow when lit. The estate sale is fifties vintage nirvana.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

ruby I accidentally sent your pic to the trash bin, I clicked on the trash can to see what would happen.
oops

thanks ruby -- that is only 1/3 of the yard in those pics that needs constant maintenance
Old 07-12-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Brain, you posted a pic of your yard a bunch of threads back. Post more though. The more, the merrier.

Things NOT to do on weekends in early sobriety. Or ever, really. Skip breakfast, drink caffeinated coffee, run around, invite stressful people over and then eat a lot of greasy but delicious pizza. My anxiety was going through the roof and I was feeling awful. Prime makings of "I need a drink to ratchet down!" I still have klonopin in the house and don't want to get in the habit of popping them either. But I recognized the symptoms and what was causing them. I suffered for about twenty minutes. I'm finally coming down. Deep rhythmic breathing. Sitting down with my eyes closed. So anyone out there in the same boat, you can get through it without a drink. Recognize it for what it is. Deal with it and it will pass.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ruby, break out the ice cream!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Well, weather isn't getting as hot and nasty as earlier predicted. I'm thankful for that. It's still a lovely summer day. 85, light breeze, sun.... And I'm inside

Watching the 3rd/4th place game for the World Cup. Brazil vs. the Netherlands.

Weird thought of the moment... I'd love to live someplace called the Netherlands. Sounds so sci-fi. "I live in the Nether. Only the brave dare step foot here."

Anyways... moving on...
Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Gilmer.... I am sure that children can be a blessing and all that stuff but children are preventable you know.

I happen to have a built in child preventor.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Being a sports fan . . . what do you get when you mix ice hockey with ice cream?!!

Old 07-12-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
What do you normally pickle ?
I love to pickle green beans and bread and butter pickles are my fave! I did pickled garlic last year which was a hit but a serious PITA peeling all those cloves of garlic. I want to pickle some jalapeņos this year.

Oh and ruby, I adore all things kitschy, but I have a special fondness for 50s kitsch. Love <3.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Fastest way to peel garlic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHnpKmp-Ug

The back of my lot is wooded and slopes down to a natural drainage area (kinda swampy). I have a fence running through the woods to keep my dogs from getting down to the muddy area. Today I put a gate in the fence so I can get through when I need to - which isn't often, but every once in a while I do. There are few things in life I like less than digging post holes. Fortunately I just needed 2 of them and the ground was soft. A few roots, but it went better than I had anticipated.

Now to enjoy the rest of this very nice day.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Greetings bus mates. Day 6 for me. Woke up around 7:00 AM. Cooked breakfast. It is now 1:50 PM and I am considering a nap. I have been very fatigued since my last drink so I sleep when I can. Strange, fatigue is a triger for me. Don't know if alcohol gave me energy, of if alcohol just made me not care that I was tired. I consider sleep a twofer:
1.) can't drink while sleeping, and 2) gives body some rest.
Maybe I'll have some ice cream (vanilla with chocolate syrup) before my nap.
Grateful to be sober.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post

To me, kids start getting really pleasant around age 7.
Gilmer that's nice to hear. My two are 20 mo apart - 2 and 4 right now. Whooooo weeeeee. They are spitfires.

I thought I would have maybe 4 kids, until I birthed the two I have.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Ruby2- We are into McCoy. The flower vases. They're really cool.
Very hot lately. I'm fading in the heat and looking forward to cooler fall weather.
Hope all are well.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Thankful for a sober Saturday...
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

It's pretty hot for the PNDub. Just ask Olive or Ary.

So I have my little plastic spray bottle here and I keep squirting myself.

I set my phone to show me weather in some of my favorite places. Las Vegas is one. I was flipping through and they've changed "las vegas" to "Paradise." I have been to Vegas dozens of times and I did not know that the Vegas strip is actually in Paradise, NV. 102 degrees and they keep emailing me to come visit.

Uh. I'll wait until Thanksgiving, TYVM.

All this ice cream talk. *sigh* Food is another issue of mine. I've gained six pounds since I stopped drinking. Not pleased about this development.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Glad to have you aboard batty patty and Wichita!!!!!

Feels good to be sober at drunk time huh? That feeling stays with me still. I love it!

Well as far a pickling went.... I have everything but the cats, the sun and the crisp dry summer air in Maine took over for a wonderful afternoon nap.

I did however cut up a Kirby to salt and eat and was struck by the symmetry. Guess I am weird but I see things that way. Thought I would share.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

That is amazing, Weasel!

I was amazed at the symmetry of a cicada a few years ago. It was black with elaborately-veined wings, and it had crude-looking, seemingly random brushtrokes of red and yellow. But they were mirrored on the other half of the exoskeleton!

I took it and showed it to other family members, but they were not as impressed as I was. I kept it around to admire--but eventually it started to smell, so I had to throw it outside (although it was only a bug, it was a very big bug! )
Old 07-12-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

BattyPatty, have you heard of H.A.L.T.? Hungry, angry, lonely, tired? The four horsemen of the trigger apocalypse. If I am feeling urges/triggers, one of these is usually the culprit.

Dang cat just came trotting up with another sparrow in her mouth. This one is pretty bad but it just took off and so did cat. Ugh! Cat just came back with same bird which took off. Trying to corral the dang cat. I try to keep her in but it's like caging lightning.

Soberlicious and cardoon, here are photos of the stuff at this sale. A lot of fun things. I like to hit estate sales for vintage. If it's clothes I do one thing mixed with the rest. My red hand bag is the latest. I've had people stop me to tell me they love it. I just peeled off the $1.00 sticker about two months ago.

SASSIETASIC VINTAGE VINTAGE PARK RIDGE!! Starts On 7/12/2014