Notices

Weekender thread! June 20-22!!! Come join us!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

LB... If ya dun poorly just don't worries. Ain't no one better than youz in my book!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Happy weekend, everyone!

At least the sun is out here. I have to spend the upcoming days preparing myself for my upcoming trip to Chicago. My knee isn't feeling very well so it's making things that much more fun.

I'll be watching the World Cup also.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good day everyone! I'm off of work today, tomorrow and the weekend. It's nice to be off. LTV I'm sorry you are having a tough day. I've been feeling much the same all day. Just feels like it's never going to end sometimes. Whatever "it" is. Sort of like the "they" everyone refers to.

Took the kids to the pool at the local park for a couple of hours. Then the sky opened and it poured buckets for a good half hour. Could not have gotten more wet. It was funny that after having been soaking wet in the pool and still being in swim suits, no one wanted to go in the rain.

Making pot roast and corn on the cob for dinner. Then? More cleaning. Kid party for daughter. Round two of the never ending sixth birthday saga.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You know, I really resent these early-start Weekend threads, because they only serve to painfully remind me that I have one more day of work before the weekend starts....

I'm in, and I'll be 10 months' sober on Monday..
Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Postcard Intermission!
From the Box earlier this week....

My good friend Ruby sent me this postcard from Chicago!!!
Love, love, love!
Thank you, Ruby!

Stay tuned for more postcards as I will check the Box again tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-632670172.jpg (70.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-19-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey thenewguy.... Nothing is started early!

It's Friday in Australia when we start the thread!

Glad you are here but sucks we all have another day of work!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Olive and ruby! Great post card!

Nons.... Make these and show us a pic please!

Bacon wrapped onion rings! It's not a weekender thread until bacon is mentioned!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Last weekend I make bacon cupcakes. Just sayin...
Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Charlee thanks for the photo. Looks like a great walk. It's nice to see what other people see during the day.

I'm glad the postcard came Olive! Aarryhcka you certainly will see el trains if you are coming to Chicago. Pack an umbrella. Rain is forecast for the next few days. Except Saturday. And bring a light sweater for the air conditioning. Some buildings are ridiculously cold.

I just hung up on a telemarketer. I am almost always nice to them but not today. I could never do it for a job. She was calling about switching electric service providers and I asked her to mail me information. Nine, she needs my name, address and phone number. It was when she insisted that she needed my electric bill account number to send me the information that I got ticked. She kept at it and I hung up. Sounded like a slamming scam to me.

Off to get ice cream. I will check in later.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

They don't have bacon ice cream. I will have to settle.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi may I please speak with the Ruby of the household.... Yes... This is Chicago electric calling. Yes... May I have your bank account number and pin please. It's for an offer I would like to send you... Yes I'll hold..........................
Old 06-19-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Weasel, I just laughed out loud at that. Thank you! I need to get on the do not call list. I've been getting a ton of telemarketing calls lately. Irritating Mr. Ruby who sleeps days.

Ice cream went well. They have games there, including chess. My enigma of a son only agreed to ice cream if we played chess. I did win but it is usually pretty even since I'm not good. It's one thing I always hope my son will try to learn from my dad.

Daughter now in bed. It is pouring rain again. Thunderstorm. Love them. Not a big booming one. Just a fairly heavy, steady rain. No gusting either so I'm sitting on the porch and not getting wet.

Daughter up. She is funny. She picked out a princess story but said "I don't want to be a princess mommy. I just want to be me." And that is all a mother can ask for. She requested that I sit with her since the thunder is scaring her.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm in, looking forward to another sober weekend
Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Ruby, never hang up on a tele marketer. Keep them on as long as you can. Just set the phone down and walk away. Unless it's your cell - then it's okay to scream at them.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

LBrain, you put me in mind of something I used to do a long time ago. There was someone who used to call me who I could never get off the phone and I used to set the phone down and walk away, periodically returning to say "really? What did you do then?" It was so long ago I cannot for the life of me (colloquialism) think of who it was. I've developed better phone manners since then. Mostly. I was a jerk back then, wasn't i? All because I didn't want to hurt their feelings by cutting them off.

Good luck with the post office! My uncle retired from the PO after about 35 years of service. He worked in "the cage". Sorting registered mail which is sorted in a secured area.

LTV, do you have a start date for your new job?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Y'all ,
Am off to margate this weekend so i'll get olive a postcard when i'm there …

50 things to do at the moment ..
Trying hard to make sure my sleep doesn't suffer and that i get enough, as that is what tends to "give" in these situations to my detriment . So i'm doing the right thing and managing myself carefully as we all have to do .

Mex-m8 is gonna drive this weekend , I think i'll buy us a second car sometime soon as it's nice to be driven around and i'd quite like something to run round in that i don't really care for . It's time for my big old Mercedes to have some TLC lavished on it as there are certain jobs it needs that require some time and patience to fix, with a 4000 lb + car you need to do everything carefully ! being 18 years old now is the time i either keep it until it becomes a classic or i get rid of it …

Off to view 5 houses this weekend …

Stay cool everyone

m
Old 06-19-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh my gosh you all are so silly.

Reminds me of a summer job working at a hotel. My first day working (behind the front desk and solo) I answer a call from a guy asking:

"AgHHH? Do you rent rooms by the hour?...No?..No, you don't think so?...Well, do you know who does?...Well, what am I going to DO?...You're sorry, you don't know what to tell me?"...pause, pause, frown, deep thinking, pause..."AgggH. LTV, this is your brother. How's it going?"

OMG I was so relieved it was my brother because I could not for the life of me figure out how to get off the phone! Then I was PO'd of course. I mean, for all I knew at that moment it could have been LBrain, Weasel or any of you other serious folks on the other end.

Ruby, my parking pass and official IDs are currently processing. Parking passes where I live are pure gold so as far as I am concerned - work has begun! Actual work does not begin until August though. Until then, I am going to continue filling my brain space with some good healing. Recovery is challenging. Surprise!

Overjoyed to see all of you SRers here for the weekend! Olive, thanks for your postcard posts. Love them.

CharlesSM, yep. Cried like a baby. Now its the calm after the storm. De-dramatizing the drama, I suppose. Wow. Unexpected hard moments in sobriety. My husband spent the night with friends watching sports at the local watering hole. There was a time when I would have been right there doing that and doing a busload of damage to 'feel better'. Tomorrow is a new day. Bring it on. Gotta work on the basic needs thingy a little harder. Speaking of basic needs - my daughter got into my make-up bag yesterday and made a Chanel slurry in the sink. Basic needs, a little Chanel are in order.

Healing thoughts for all.

***Mecanix, just saw your post...make sure you get that sleep plus drink a lot of water and eat some carrot sticks (arbitrary snack suggestion) to keep you going strong with your super day.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm in weekenders!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Count me in! WOO HOO!!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hello! Mother-in-law arrived this afternoon. We went to the Pike Place Market and rode the Big Wheel. I've only nearly broken down in tears once, lol. Husband kinda lost his cool with me. He was cranky. They were doing roadwork all night last night right outside our house. I mean, 15 feet from my front door. The house was shaking. He apologized. I did well though. Called my sponsor, made it to my women's meeting. *sigh* don't get me wrong, I love my MIL. She's awesome, loving and one of the most wonderful women I know. Kev and I have been together 12.5 years and married for 9.5. If she didn't like me, I'd know by now! I just get stressed when people come visit. Probably just too excited.

Hope y'all are doing well. Have a happy sober weekend! I'll be checking in.