Notices

So It Begins

Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I saw your post in that other thread; some good advice was given. I'm hanging in there, but making sure I keep my guard up.

Congrats on 16 days.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thanks Gonnachange finished work now and swimming after work now hoping it helps with my sleep issue, take care and keep that guard up bye from Saudi Arabia
Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Enjoy the swim.

This Afternoon...

....I was feeling some urges and surfed them for a while. I then went on a short run that helped, but not as much as I hoped for. Drinking lots of water right now.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

YES felt good after swim Gonnachange thanks, just skyed family and off to bed now, its all about mind over matter really, today was best felt in long time but know it will be a lifetime struggle and need to be here for my family and I dont want to die, thats the long and short sobering bit about this disease, its a killer that stalks for life, well thats my take on it its either the drink and death or sobriety and life which to me is joy to be able to provide for my family and be happy. stay strong Gonnachange dont let it catch you out, its a killer, talk soon night night
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I've been addicted to exercise for decades and try to do something everyday. Ideally it's lifting three times per week and running/cycling the other four. IMHO, the benefits spill to all facets of my life and I make a big effort to ensure that nothing, including my drinking, stops me from whatever activity is scheduled for the day. Unfortunately, lately I have noticed that the amount of times I'm going to the gym not at my best is increasing. This was a big wake up call for me; I knew my solitary drinking was increasing and there was now evidence that it was having a detrimental effect. Some searching led me to SR and I joined one week ago. I have found it to be a fabulous resource as I work toward my goal of not letting this drug steal my plans for a long, healthy, and happy life where I can continue to enjoy my pursuits and family with a passion.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Riding another wave. Working, reading SR, and drinking water. This one will not bring me down, but it's not been pretty. I really wish my wife, who is currently at the gym, was home so I could spend time with her and get past this. Head games. Less than 30 minutes until it's 42 hours since my last drink.

Not sure if this is the proper SR way to post about daily struggles so I apologize if I'm mucking up the bandwidth if there is a more appropriate manner.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's what we're here for - to listen and help each other as we go through the challenging times. You're learning a lot about yourself Gonnachange.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
That's what we're here for - to listen and help each other as we go through the challenging times. You're learning a lot about yourself Gonnachange.
Thanks for the affirmation. I'm new to the process and to SR so because of the latter I'm sensitive to not following the protocol and because of the former I'm not educated enough to give much specific advice to others. The protocol thing doesn't bother me, but I would absolutely prefer to be more balanced when it comes to giving and receiving advice and support. I imagine that will come in time so for now I have to be content with the imbalance and being very selective in what I post to others.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress Gonnachange

D
Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Gonnachange

Welcome aboard! I read most of this thread with interest.... I now have 16 + months sobriety but I remember the early days of previous attempts.... it's good to be reminded of the feelings and thoughts and so I thank you very much for this.

I really hope that things go well for you and so my best thoughts and wishes go out to you
Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on your progress Gonnachange

D
Thanks Dee. I truly appreciate you checking up on me.

Tonight

Home From College Son (HFCS) will be eating with us; not sure what his evening plans are. At 9 I'm going to watch the NBA finals, most likely alone; HFCS will probably be going out and my wife has no interest. A trigger situation. In addition to not wanting to have to reset the clock, currently at 43 hours, my additional motivation to not drink alone is that I'll be deadlifting tomorrow AM and I need to be on my game. "A" game, that is.

Thanks to all who come here and comment; it's very meaningful.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Oooo... remember that horrible feeling of deadlifting with a hangover?? Well, also remember that fantastic feeling of deadlifting with a well rested and completely sober body!! It is absolutely worth having the second option
Old 06-10-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

You could always record the NBA finals and watch them later if you thought that watching them alone might trigger you Gonnachange?

D
Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feeling-good View Post
Oooo... remember that horrible feeling of deadlifting with a hangover?? Well, also remember that fantastic feeling of deadlifting with a well rested and completely sober body!! It is absolutely worth having the second option
Totally agree! I love deads, but they always kick my butt. I guess that's why I love them. :-) When I'm not at my best somehow the weights are glued to the floor. LOL!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You could always record the NBA finals and watch them later if you thought that watching them alone might trigger you Gonnachange?

D
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm going to watch the game tonight so I get the real time result. As for why, firstly I so rarely watch tv we don't have anyway of recording, as far as I know, the game. Secondly, even if we did, which I will confirm with my son, no matter when I watch the game it will be alone. Lastly, if I'm going to conquer my problem I'm going to have to deal with situations like this and I'm mentally gearing up for the "test".

Thanks to both of you for posting. Time to get dinner on the table.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Passed another "test" last night while watching the basketball game. Not without some urges along the way, but I waited them out.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Passed another "test" last night while watching the basketball game. Not without some urges along the way, but I waited them out.
Good Job! Let them rise and fall without holding on to them.

Hang in there and keep on keeping on!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Good Job! Let them rise and fall without holding on to them.

Hang in there and keep on keeping on!
Thanks GracieLou. Got through yesterday and am up to 60 hours since the last drink I had on Sunday night. I'm leaving for the gym so 61 is going to happen. I'll deal with the afternoon hours when I get back.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Tough afternoon, but I'm hanging in there. On a positive note, I registered for a half and a full marathon that will take place this fall. For a variety of reasons I have not done any endurance work since last fall and am looking forward to the getting back to the mindset that has taken me over so many finish lines. The training isn't fun, but it helps keep me in line; knowing that I have a 15 mile training run at 6 AM Saturday morning goes a long way in making sure that I'm not doing anything stupid the night before.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Going good Gonnachange well done, good you are keeping busy with marathon. I think I overdid my swimming last night as bones aching this morning, I am new to this exercise stuff, will take it easier in future.. lol
Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Thanks Carlingford and all others who have read here. Yeah, the muscle soreness comes with starting to exercise again. FYI, most people find the second day is the worst. The nice part is that it goes away and it is not an injury, so as long as you can deal with the uncomfortableness you can continue to exercise.

I See Hope

Between the empowerment that I've gotten from SR and my decision to sign up for the fall races I'm in a much different and better mental place than I was just a week ago. I know I have a long way to go to achieve both my running and drinking (or non drinking)goals, but I've started and that by itself is a positive.

No urges yet today, but I'm not a morning drinker so it's not unusual. Hour by hour again today; it's taking a lot of mental capacity, but seems to be working.