Notices

6th 7th & 8th of december 2013 weekend thread come join in

Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Happy sober Saturday Weekenders!

Unusually cold here in the Pacific Northwest....less than 20 degrees. Brrrr. I am going to put a chicken in the pot to simmer slowly for a while, then either make chicken noodle soup, or chicken and dumplings. I think I will do some holiday baking as well.
Been working on some homemade ornaments for a party next weekend, I will post them later....if they turn out.
The cat rings the bell to go out in the back yard and when I open the door he gets a whiff of the frigid air and says, 'oh, never mind.' Ten minutes later he is ringing the bell and I tell him, 'still cold out there', but he doesn't believe me.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Oh, those darn cats and doors! Mine claw the screen. Luckily the door is closed now with the frigid cold. My anger is somewhat abated after decorating. I didn't really decorate. Each Christmas my church does a mission of providing gifts and clothing to the children of imprisoned mothers and the kids caregivers. We make "ornaments" with the name of a person, their age and their clothing sizes and then hang the ornaments on a tree for congregants to pick and buy for. So many people have so little. I am blessed/fortunate to have what I do have to get angry or SO angry about what I don't have. I am now home cleaning my warm house and pondering what to make for dinner.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Jalapeno poppers for tonight's neighborhood holiday party. Bacon and cream cheese filling. #nomnomnom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jalepeno-poppers.jpg (57.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

cake

wanted to bake a cake from scratch but only managed to scratch my head while reading the box. Duncan Hines turned out fine.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey! Back from providing tours to friends. Actaually had a great time. They had a bloody at lunch and nothing more until the last place. Went and saw the lighthouses. Great talks. Really nice.

When they started their drinking it was time for me to leave. I went and got a large meatball and cheese sandwich. Guess I caved and eat with my stomach and not my head. But I figured I deserved it.

Saturday at home relaxing. Hope all are well!

Ken
Old 12-07-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!

I wrote my first exam today and I think it went well. I got some Christmas shopping done, and tomorrow there will be a family pizza party! I am looking forward to it, got lots of non-alcoholic beverages for myself other family members to enjoy. Being sober just feels better.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Glad to see all the people choosing a sober weekend! I do too .
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Busy day, normal life plus a lot of Christmas decorating. We all just got pooped and just fell on the couch and watched Elf for the 18th time. It never gets old. My family all laughed hard at the same old jokes. I am happy to end my 10th week on a sober note! Check in with you all tomorrow!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Jalapeno poppers for tonight's neighborhood holiday party. Bacon and cream cheese filling. #nomnomnom
Bacon! The food of the gods. Everything goes better with bacon!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Talking

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
Bacon! The food of the gods. Everything goes better with bacon!
How right you are. You could wrap rocks in bacon and they would be edible.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Ending the evening on a high note--didn't go to the aquarium today. Instead, we went to the International Spy Museum in DC. Had a great time, so tonight, we introduced our boys to the movie, Austin Powers! Looking forward to showing them other spy themed movies in the future!

So nice to be fully present. I missed out on so much when I was drinking.

Hope you all had a great Saturday! Goodnight, everyone!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Wow, what a crazy day. Started with a bicycle ride and then all plans blew up. Trip to the ER to be with my son's friend (broken arm) until his Mom could be there and then off to pick a friend up at a bar after his vehicle broke down. There was no discomfort being in the beach bar and it was good to see some neighbors again. A couple of them were genuinely impressed with how I've changed. Last year I'd been in no condition to drive to an ER or to help someone with a ride. It's taken a while but the feeling of something missing on Saturdays (booze) is totally gone. I really like being a non-drinker.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

All my plans for an active saturday crashed and burned , am feeling dog tired and am thinking i might have a cold startin' .

gonna stay in bed , doze and hope it's just tiredness .

sober sunday everyone

bestwishes, m
Old 12-08-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Like2hike.... Great update! I am very happy for you!

M.... Feel better buddy. I felt like that Friday but recovered. Ha! Recovered... Get it? .... Nevermind.

Anyway.

Woke excited. So excited just for the free day to be me. Still have to set the tree up. I love beef stew so making that again. And just be.

Will be here a lot to see how people are doing and offer support in any way I can.

K
Old 12-08-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The party last night was fun. There was much more drinking than I had envisioned, but there were plenty of non-alcoholic options. The food spread was great and I got lots of compliments on my poppers. I have some very nice neighbors.

We had an early exit strategy because I wanted to watch the football game. Unfortunately the game did not turn out to my liking, as my team lost. Oh well, it was an exciting game to watch nonetheless.

I need to finish my Xmas shopping online today. Not sure what else I will try to get done. Maybe some exercise. I started running, and ran the past 3 days. I planned today as a day off from running, but I might do some light lifting/calisthenics.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

way to go serenely enjoying the party with all those drinkers Nons , i'm not sure i could have been as accepting as you , my boredom and tolerance threshold is extremely low and it makes me quite abrupt , something i try to work on .

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

In the past my party strategy went like this:
Buy some liquor and leave it at home
Go to party
Carefully monitor everyone else's drinking.
Drink what they drink
Avoid urge to guzzle, make sure to drink at same speed they drink
Don't get more than 1 drink ahead
DO NOT LET ANYONE SUSPECT I HAVE A PROBLEM
Go home and get plowed, because in reality I have a problem

That's too much damn work. I like the new way.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Today will hopefully be a bit more relaxing than yesterday. I had a very stressful day yesterday and wound up taking more anxiety meds than I normally do and don't feel so great this morning. :-(. At least it's not a hangover. But today should be much better--getting a run in in the snow and then knitting, movies, and a kid holiday cookie party. Happy sober weekend, everyone!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi all! Good morning or good day depending where you are. Went to a meeting and it was a good one which I got a bunch out of especially dealing with that anger problem I've been having this weekend. One of the women commented that she found that a lot of her anger stemmed from the disappointment of expectations she had in other people. Ding! A light went on. Now I need to work on that.

Kids and I are going to church. I hope they quiet down as they are both screaming and making enough noise to wake the dead. I need ear plugs.

Daughter wants to get tree today. We just don't have the room for it at the moment. I have to clear space and rearrange furniture for that to happen. Maybe a little bit of manual labor while moving and creatively finding a spot to put too many chairs will ease my angst.

And cats have moved into the digital age. Now they don't just sit on my newspaper when I am trying to read, they now stand on the iPad. I'll blame any babbling in them.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Lol, Ruby, my cats do that too. I have three of them, and my oldest is 10 (have had him since he was 6-weeks). He acts more like a dog than a cat and has to be ON me at all times.

Non, that was my party strategy too! I would buy two bottles of wine...one for the party and one for myself at home later, and I was always careful to appear to be a 'casual, social drinker' in public.

I feel like I'm getting sick too. Achy all day yesterday but drank tons of juice high in Vitamin C and have slept a lot so feeling better. Today I'm going to pay some bills and start some some online Christmas shopping. And get through the laundry. Talked to my dad last night and I think he finally gets why I quit drinking (he's a mostly highly functioning but not so emotionally present A). I felt supported and that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. At 41 years old, I still crave his approval. Something I'm working on.