Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Notices

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

kool

I'm in..I have no plans...I have no job or I would be working..so I guess I will just sit around and watch TV and check in on here every so often...
Old 11-22-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey koha ,
dunno if your on a pc or mobile device but there is an arcade which can be something to try when your brain aint up to much else
SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Arcade

maybe try and hit up a meeting , don't have to participate just sit and have a listen, it's company of people trying to do the same thing as you .. i dunno i haven't been to one myself … just thinking of things you could do ...

and hang out and join in here i kinda only did bed and work for the first month of sobriety ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Nonsensical, any chance that you can share your recipe for garlic mashed potatoes with parmesan crust?
I was making a huge batch for a work crowd, so adjust accordingly...

5 pounds of redskin potatoes
4 heads of garlic
1/4 cup of the cheap green jar parmesan
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp garlic salt
olive oil
1 stick butter
about 1 cup of 1% milk
1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan

cut the bottom off the garlic heads, coat with olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil and roast for 35 minutes @ 400F

rinse and quarter the potatoes, then boil until soft.

Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of the heads and into a bigazz bowl, drain the potatoes and add to bowl. Add everything except the good parmesan, and mash until they are the consistency you want (add as much milk as it takes to get the job done). Transfer to a bowl or pan that can go in the oven. Sprinkle the good parmesan on top and broil for a few minutes to get a nice bark on top. Eat.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Im in. This will be my first sober weekend this time around. Got to stop the relapses.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I will be one week sober tomorrow. Hopefully they'll take me out for my favorite birthday enchiladas!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Made it so far this Friday without really thinking of drinking. I went out for lunch with three other women I work with, two of whom ordered margaritas which I wasn't expecting. Most people don't have drinks at lunch anymore. I love/d regular margaritas but these were fancy mango flavored margaritas so not tempting. Loved the salt and lime. They asked and I told them I no longer drank. "Since when?" Since a week ago Monday. They laughed, I laughed and that was that. I just said that I liked drinking a little too much so I stopped.

I suppose I could make lime slushies with salty rim. Without the tequila.

I hope that my train home is running on time but other than that, no plans for the evening. There was a freight train stalled on the commuter tracks on my inbound train. With luck, that will be gone.

Olive, I really do like Matt Smith as the Dr. and would have liked to see him stick around for a bit longer but he has been doing it for quite some time now. I hadn't realized until I thought how many seasons had passed. I started watching the Doctor when Tom Baker was the doctor a million years ago. Was glad to see the show resurrected.

I hail BBC America for the programming except for Top Gear which I am sick and tired of. My favorite programs have been on BBC but now except for the Doctor are gone. Torchwood, Primeval. Sigh. Guess you can tell I am a sci fi kind of person.

Am rambling. Will check in later or tomorrow.
May the evening (day for those in Australia) bring sober contented sleep.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I hail BBC America for the programming except for Top Gear which I am sick and tired of. My favorite programs have been on BBC but now except for the Doctor are gone. Torchwood, Primeval. Sigh. Guess you can tell I am a sci fi kind of person.
And the BBC version of 'Being Human' was one of my all time favorites! Love Torchwood too.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I can never get enough of bigmouth Jeremy Clarkson. I love the rare occasions when James May wins contests!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
I'm in! Today is day 96. Funny, but I like odd numbers so enjoyed yesterday being 95 and look forward to tomorrow being 97. Weird, huh?

Nonsensical, any chance that you can share your recipe for garlic mashed potatoes with parmesan crust? Look, I got you some bacon as a trade off...
I'm pretty sure I drooled when I saw that picture!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Take a look at this bad boy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
untitled.jpg (10.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am also in for a sober week end and would love your recipe too
Just went to my home group and gorged myself on home made peanut butter/masmallow/chocolate soft cookies. I am expecting a sugar hangover soon LOL
Otherwise I am spending tomorrow with my best friend and sleeping over then Sunday I have two work meetings. I am also catching up on the second season of Grimm
Wishing everyone a good sober week end.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Have a blast, Carlotta! Crash into bed when your sugar hangover hits!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Nonsensical, thank you so much for sharing the recipe. I think I'm going to try it for Thanksgiving. When you say 'cheap green jar Parmesan', do you mean the kind you shake out, like for over spaghetti? Also, I'm horrible at figuring out how much to cook for how many...how many people did your 5 lbs. of potatoes feed?

LadyinBC, yum! Is that bacon on a turkey? Wow, I had to do a double take. How do you get your pics to come out normal size? Every time I post a pic it takes up the whole page and looks monster-sized, lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

** ring ring **
Cas is in. So glad to be here.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Haha Kadidee - I'm the same about the people / amount ratio. Especially after so many years of living alone and hardly ever cooking socially for more than about 2-3 max. Have pity too on us Aussies - we went French, as it were, many years ago on our measurements, so have to translate everything into grams, kilos etc. I yearn for the old ounces / pounds thing like when I was a kid.

Non thanks so much for the recipe - I'll be giving it a whirl alright. Also, I reckon it's a lovely kind gesture of yours to later start a pre-Thanksgiving thread for people. I studied a bit of US politics and history at uni years ago - loved it btw.

From my general reading, movies, etc etc, I really get the sense of how T'giving carries a LOT of emotional freight with it around families, rather like Christmas. The nearest Aussie equivalent - but with nowhere near enough cultural class, imho, is our Australia Day Jan 26th. Aboriginals - and their many white supporters like me - call it Invasion Day. Most Anglo background Aussies just use it as an excuse for an extended long weekend off work, going to the cricket or watching it on telly, BBQs - what you guys call cook-outs I think, and all washed down with VAST amounts of booze.

Just lolling about back home now after going to the village and Bess had her mad capers with a bunch of other dogs. Load of washing in, browsing the boards, and a classic Melbourne late Spring day - clouds, showers, sun, and repeat a million times all day :-).
Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Here in the Midwest u.s. a lot of people call it a BBQ and not a cook out. At least, I do. It can refer to a type of party or a type of food. Both yummy.

I have been struggling this evening. Had to catch a later train than usual since I missed the one and it wasn't running anyway because of earlier referenced freight train stall. Husband antsy for cigarettes. Texts me to buy beer. I said no. But when I got home I got so angry with him I almost ran out the door for a bottle of wine. Why? He was waiting at the curb for me and wanted to use my car because he has no gas in his.

He went to pick up his final,paycheck today after getting fired on Monday. He cashed it. He had already told me that he was going to pay off some of his drug debt with some of it which sent me into a rage last night. I calmed down after a while and didnt drink last night. but really, We need every penny out of the check with the holidays coming up and our mountain of debt and other miscellaneous bills. Well, I got home and found 550 dollars in cash. I then found his pay stub for 1,200.00. He gave me less than half of his check because he is pushing paying the dealer as some kind of "amends" that will help keep him sober and he shorts his own freaking family.. And on top of it, he wants me to now fill his gas tank!!!! I know that we as alcoholics do some messed up crap but really? I am about to have a stroke wondering how I am going to juggle all the financial obligations and he gives his dear friend the dealer more than half of his LAST paycheck.

He starts a new part time job tomorrow which is with a former employer he quit a while ago. Already had it lined up before he got fired but still. It is the principle ofmthe thing. It isn't full time and he hasn't gotten a check. And I swear he has been drinking or getting high again tonight because he is spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Sort of floating around the house asking random obvious questions like he does when he gets high.

Sorry for this rant. He is such an ass. I feel less likely to drink and more likely to keep my wits about me, my money in my pocket and my body alcohol free.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Sorry, Ruby.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

3rd weekend sober here.. and counting
Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Here for another sober weekend! I received my Kindle Paperwhite today and I'm going to be putting my Amazon Prime membership to work this weekend with lots of reading under my cozy heated blanket. It's going to be a cold one here!