Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Notices

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Feeling super grateful today as I celebrate a year sober. At this time a year ago I was in the intensive care unit at the hospital with a bad head injury. The physical scar has healed (thank goodness for plastic surgery) and learning to accept what the brain injury did. While I'm totally not thrilled with the 20 pounds I've gained, I'm beyond happy with the peace and serenity I now have because I'm not drinking. Thank you to the weekend thread participants...couldn't have done it without you
Old 11-23-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your one year anniversary!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey sober clover ,
congratulations on the year , i gained 40 lbs in the first 23 months of sobriety but have lost 32lbs in the past 2 or 3 months .
Sobriety gives you a lot of personal power and freedom, keep working on yourself and when the time is right i'm sure you'll sort out any weight issues you have . Your probably just in the right place for you today

Keep on ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Glad to see all of the avid Whovians on today. The wife and I will be entertaining a Whovian party today to watch the much-anticipated 50th aniversary. Many attendees will be drinking and only having recently quit I find myself feeling jealous. But, I have resolved that drinking is NEVER in my best interests regardless of the circumstances, however I want to be part of the group. So, I'm trying to come up with some non-alcoholic concoction that I can enjoy, but isn't some off-the-shelf soft drink. May even get others to enjoy it. Any suggestions?

It sounds silly, but this is what has done wonders for me recently. If I feel like taking a drink, I instead go to the fridge and mix a concoction of V-8 juice, tobasco (lots!), black pepper, and worcester sauce. I know it may sound gross to many, but I love it and the sudden burst of hot from the tobasco gives me a satisfying, non-alcoholic oomph without the ill effects. (Some may argue that there could be other ill effects but we'll not speak of that. lol.)

Anyway, I'd rather come up with something special for Doctor Who rather than use my V-8 concoction and I'm very open to suggestions.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I'm grateful to have gotten past last night! I am hangover free, but with a headache (!) and not to have given in last night. I actually picked up a drink and put it back down. Thankfully. I thought of Ruby2's 'borrowing from tomorrow' and the slippery slope that goes with the one drink and thought better of it. I know I have trying times to come and I will somehow manage to get past them.

Thanks to all of you, your wise words and honesty. Gosh, I am touched.

So, instead of being hungover, I am up early, walked the dog, fed the cats, it's a crisp, beautiful morning. Starting some laundry and thinking about cooking after reading these wonderful posts!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Great to wake up feeling healthy, refreshed, and ready to be productive. Every morning I feel relief and gratitude to wake up sober. It took time but now I like living like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Alysheba, love your username. Alysheba was a great racehorse.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Great post your last one , Mecanix. We're loaded up to go dirt bike riding with my sons. They're getting faster while I'm going the other direction. Somehow I know ibuprofen will be needed tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoys the day.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

My husband bought himself a crate of beer which has made me uncomfortable so I have got myself some non alcoholic beer to help me. Not sure if I'll even have that or water yet but my craving is awful knowing it's there.
I have it in my head that I'd rather use my calories on a take away instead of drink
Old 11-23-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Haveaproblem, I think your V8 tobasco concoction sounds delicious! Here are some other ideas....

20 Non Alcoholic Party Drinks - Tablespoon

I vote for the iced vanilla soy latte, although maybe a decaf if it's in the evening.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

My weekend is preparing for my wife and my trip to America. Cleaning the house and getting up early to watch some American football. Also, a lot of exercise in that time as well. Have a sober weekend all
Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Magsie

Count me in, another sober weekend.

Have a great holiday tang.

Happy weekend to all SR friends.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Kadidee - thanks for the link to "clean party drinks". I've book-marked the site, I will be trying some of these...they sound yummy!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tangningsheng View Post
My weekend is preparing for my wife and my trip to America.
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your trip. Where will you guys be visiting?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

congradulations!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

have a great sober time at seaside.on your trip and ty
Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Do I still count as sober then on my non alcoholic beer which is less then 0.05%
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your trip. Where will you guys be visiting?
Thanks, we will be first visiting my family as my wife hasn't met my extended family yet. She is Chinese so this will be her first visit. Wisconsin first as that is where my family is from and then California,New York,Florida and South Carolina are the destinations that we have chosen.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Zombiegirl, I'd say yes, still sober. The thing I'd be more worried about is having it make me crave the real thing.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
Do I still count as sober then on my non alcoholic beer which is less then 0.05%
Hey ZG ,
For me it rattled skelingtons that i didn't like having rattled, although i was fine with rum and raisin ice cream until i bought a different brand ate 1/2 a pint and was violently ill because of the alcohol content .

For me it rings bells of warning because i used to be chugging it back as if trying to alter my mood with it and it only caused more frustration because it didn't have the effect . The strongest thing i have that alters my mood these days is coffee .
Be true to yourself ...why are you drinking it ? and why if it weren't an issue for you, would you be asking us ?

Bestwishes, m