Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Notices

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
While daughter is at party I will try to watch the Dr. Who 50th anniversary special. At least he can regenerate. I suppose that is an analogy for the benefits of staying sober. I can regenerate and live a new healthier life without the alcohol.
I really enjoyed Matt Smith as the Doctor, I was hoping he would last a little longer.
Regardless, I am a big Dr Who fan and I think it is a Dr. Who marathon on the television all weekend. I will be doing art while watching!
Happy Sober Weekend to all!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You Yankees. I was envious of a woman I know who is road tripping to Boston for thanksgiving. It has been years but I spent a lot of time in northern New Hampshire years ago. Even lived there for a summer. Lovely part of the u.s. ah.. Maybe with a few dimes in my pocket I can travel again. And to keep the Anglo vein, I can go to England again and visit my cousin in bishops Stortford.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Going to the inquiries in the original post, I definitely have a profession in which drinking is common-place on the weekends--particularly Fridays for happy hour and such. Instead of partaking in such, I'll be heading to a friend's house for non-alcoholic entertainment. There will be people drinking, but there will be group activities that don't require drinking. Having already braved several trips to bars and other alcohol-infused environments, I'll be able to stay the course.

The rest of the weekend is filled with axiomatic activities conducive to pleasant free time. Good luck to everyone with staying strong over the weekend.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

While daughter is at party I will try to watch the Dr. Who 50th anniversary special. At least he can regenerate. I suppose that is an analogy for the benefits of staying sober. I can regenerate and live a new healthier life without the alcohol.
I remember a couple of episodes where he tries to drink but just doesn't like it. Perhaps it's his body saying, "I don't want to have to waste regeneration because you had a crazy night out." Or something of the like. I'll be watching the special also, definitely looking forward to it.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In am in. First weekend in a long time sober but I am going to do and enjoy it!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Count me in guys!! No major plans other than staying sober
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I just dropped off my contribution to the potluck (garlic mashed potatoes with a parmesan crust) and I must say - the spread is looking fabulous. I'm thinking the diet is out the window today!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Sign me up! Dont want to be defeated this weekend, so grateful for all your support. Looking forward to feeling fresh in the mornings and enjoying the winter sunshine (all wrapped up of course)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm in. :-) Making Thanksgiving for my family tonight since we'll be spending the holiday with my in-laws.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sign me up!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Me too - my very first weekend group on SR [cue drum roll, please, Dave] :-)

Lots of Ashes and Doc Who fans: LOVELY. Mind you, I'm pretty clueless about cricket, and all sports really, but the Test stuff is kinda soothing in pace and commentary. Though of course this time, yea verily, entire nationhood is at stake

I've been awake and up (Saturday now) since friggin' 0430 FFS....that's OK though. Will go back to bed in a while, then later probably go to my local shopping village for Bess to rumble in the dog park with all her mates, coffee and the weekend paper. Then back home, bit o lunch, and then to the nice women's meeting further up the bayside. Afternoon siesta - like everyday, I'm blessed to be able to do that. Evening telly...

Sunday - given how early I wake up, reckon I'm in on the global simulcast (as it were) of Dr Who at 0650 Sunday. John Hurt!!!! Can't wait.

Non, did you get any bacon at the work do? If not, put in a complaint :-)

Vic
Old 11-22-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm in, too.

Trying not to make it a sad weekend...2nd anniversary of my dad's passing, would have been his 90 birthday too (died the day after his 88th Bday).
Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm glad to sign on and see this thread live and thriving! I'm really struggling today... one of those "everything sucks anyways, let's get drunk" kind of things. I know it'll pass, so I definitely just need to take a meditation break and then get back on track and get productive.

Happy Weekend everyone
Old 11-22-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Tricky - it's OK to still grieve, remember, and 'mark' the extraordinary double anniversary of your Dad's birth AND death. Consider it poignant if 'sad' feels too strong. But having said that, 'sad' IS ok too...people like us just have to mindfully practise feeling it without drinking. 'What a tall order...I can't go through with it!' springs to mind, although taken slightly out of its original context [and I'm not normally an AA sloganeer, but this one just seemed apposite].

Will be thinking of you. And hey, it's also Ruby2's birthday coming up on Sunday (I think she said), so there's some joy you could offer to her alongside your sadness. The yin n yang of life, eh?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm in! Today is day 96. Funny, but I like odd numbers so enjoyed yesterday being 95 and look forward to tomorrow being 97. Weird, huh?

Nonsensical, any chance that you can share your recipe for garlic mashed potatoes with parmesan crust? Look, I got you some bacon as a trade off...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bacon-photo-1024x764.jpg (95.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Ah, the good ole weekend thread....one of my favorites. I'm all in! Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
I'm in! Today is day 96. Funny, but I like odd numbers so enjoyed yesterday being 95 and look forward to tomorrow being 97. Weird, huh?
I am mad about prime numbers!!!
Love them for some unknown reason.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Non, I second kadidee's motion - recipe sounds glorious. I'm a ***** pig for spuds - must be the Irish in me :-)
Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Blast - the software killed my Non-pun: it was only p.o.r.k.y. pig...lol