Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Notices

22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Cool 22nd 23rd & 24th weekend thread , come join us , help ourselves get through :)

only me

Welcome to your weekend , welcome to the future .

What choices are you making ? what occupations are you going to focus on ?

I'm off down the south coast to visit a friend Sat , i got coffee locally with another mate today ( non drinker) .

Back to work next week after my week off , haven't done half the things i wanted , but i go easy on myself , we all need some downtime . Endless hours where i'd have been passed out or sleeping before are occupied with reading and doing the small things to make myself comfortable…

I'd have never considered a trip to seaside in my drinking days …

Lots to do , lots to see ,

Lets start , shall we ? *ring ring*

added a cravings link to a thread Dee made, just incase anyone needs it this weekend

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay, I am the first one ! I am in like sin for a clean and sober weekend
Old 11-22-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in Xx
Old 11-22-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am choosing to have a sober weekend . I have tomorrow and Saturday off and I honestly have no plans other than sleeping in. And spending time with my grandkids!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

IN.
Gotta work today (boo!) ... but we are having a pre-Thanksgiving potluck lunch, so it should not be terribly arduous.

Tonight is my birthday dinner. A few days late, but my son is off from college until January, so we waited until he could be here. I think we are going to an Italian place.

Saturday morning I was supposed to have the final exam for a class I have been taking, but the instructor surprised us on Wednesday night at the review by giving us the exam as a 'take home'. I will probably just fuel up on bacon and get to work on a shed I have been building.

Sunday morning I may go to church. Not 100% sure, but I've a notion to go this week.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
IN.
Gotta work today (boo!) ... but we are having a pre-Thanksgiving potluck lunch, so it should not be terribly arduous.
Hopefully someone will make something with bacon in it!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heya Mecanix my Pommie friend, *ring ring* it's the weekend. And what a fine start we Aussies have made to the weekend with Friday (today's) Ashes match!

I'm having a meal with friends, a long ride on the cycleway, making a trip to the city. Good times this weekend with sober nights and hangover free mornings. *ring ring*
Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Weasel? here!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Heya Mecanix my Pommie friend, *ring ring* it's the weekend. And what a fine start we Aussies have made to the weekend with Friday (today's) Ashes match!
Hmmm...dangerous talk there 'mate' Xx
Old 11-22-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. Taking daughter to a birthday party tomorrow for aclassmate turning six. and listening to daughter crying that it unfair that classmate is older than she is. Hah, kid! dont try to grow up too fast. It will sneak up on you in the blink of an eye. I will be 49 on Sunday. Eek! How did I get to be this age? Felt nostalgia for the promise my youth held the other day while driving home from work and the radio was playing old pretenders and siouxsie and the banshees while i was stuck in traffic and wondering where time had gone. Existential meanderings about the vast chasm separating 20 from 49 and all the life in between. Not all bad, a lot good, and not all stuck in a bottle.

While daughter is at party I will try to watch the Dr. Who 50th anniversary special. At least he can regenerate. I suppose that is an analogy for the benefits of staying sober. I can regenerate and live a new healthier life without the alcohol.

Sunday will be church and later on dinner at my parents house to celebrate aforementioned milestone. My parents are not alcoholics so no temptation there. Will probably hit eight a.m. meetings on Saturday and Sunday to keep myself in order.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not again

What a nice "anglo' thread. Is it coincidence most of the posters are from parts of the empire/commonwealth. A good friend of mine from Barnsley, England has been keeping me updated as he is currently in Poland visiting another common friend of ours.( We all met working at a summer camp for special needs kids here in the states.)

Any way back to the topic of a sober weekend, while I have no doubt that is how I will spend it, my problem is I would rather it not be somber. Of course I will go to a meeting or two, but I prefer to be busy. i shall be trying to engage some newcomers in various activities. Bicycle riding (current temp. 38F(3C)) so some reluctance can be anticipated.
Perhaps a gathering for board games and watching football ( no not soccer). I of course shall engage in prayer and meditation throughout, because God always has good things to share.

Be Well,
Larry
Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Larry - I think it's because it's mainly Brits and Aussies that are awake at the moment
Old 11-22-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Weekend 11 for me. It has been a week full of challenges, but survived unscathed and alcohol free. Hoping to catch up on some reading and looking forward to a university hockey game. Have a wonderful sober weekend all!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm ready for another sober, work-filled weekend.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am ready for my 8th sober weekend. When I make it through this weekend, I'll hit my 60 day mark on Wednesday. Woo-hoo! Right before Thanksgiving ~sobriety is truly something to be thankful for!!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm in! And I will probably be checking in a lot because I have a family thing and they are all drinkers. Not feeling any danger or compulsion to drink, feeling grounded, humble, but resilient after surviving a tough two weeks, but I will not drink because I know what happens when I do. I write this a lot - but I know I can not be a normal drinker, so I can't have the first drink. I keep writing it to put it out there and to keep it forefront for me, for when those moments happen that question whether this is a real problem or not.

I have shows and cultural things to go to this weekend, and totally looking forward to it. Also looking forward to time relaxing on my couch to recharge my batteries.

Next week is my Thanksgiving trip to New Orleans. ARGH! temptations everywhere...I'll be checking in a lot then too...quite sure...
Old 11-22-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I am ready for my 8th sober weekend. When I make it through this weekend, I'll hit my 60 day mark on Wednesday. Woo-hoo! Right before Thanksgiving ~sobriety is truly something to be thankful for!!
60 is phenomenal! Congrats!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
While daughter is at party I will try to watch the Dr. Who 50th anniversary special. At least he can regenerate. I suppose that is an analogy for the benefits of staying sober. I can regenerate and live a new healthier life without the alcohol.
Dr. Who! I missed out on something awesome by never getting into that, I think, because I know four people going to a Dr. Who convention in the city and getting dressed up as Dr. Who characters for it. And these are all professional adults.

Like the regenerate reference. Sobriety not only helps us regenerate, but evolve. Remembering the past means that you have moved on to a different place.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey weekenders! I can see that many have started to express concerns for the long thanksgiving weekend.

m and I figured a Yankee should start next weeks weekender thread on Wednesday to account for travel. So I will be ring ringing it in then.

So get ready to join in to stay strong!

But let's focus on this day. This sober moment. Plenty of time to worry later.

Ken