Notices

Trying to get courage for first AA meeting

Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

you will be welcomed at all just go. as others have said each has its own flavor its own personalities. go to a few and find one that you're comfortable with. meetings are judged by what they do for you not for what they do for others
Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Ok thank you all for the help!

There is an OD meeting tomorrow that I will try.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

sonshinescooby, everyone in in your first meeting will have a fairly good idea of what you are going through, because they once went to a first meeting. They know how difficult it can be to go through that door that first time.

On the other side of that door, however, are a whole lot of people who want your life to improve just like their life has. Please let us know how it goes (and you too GreenEggsAndHam).
Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

I DID IT!!! I WENT!!! I was a minute late, but it was OK.. After I quickly left because I wanted to get to Yoga. It was awesome.. moving. Yes, lots of talk about God, but that's OK.. One guy did say when he first came to a meeting how all he wanted to do was quit drinking but all everyone talked about was God.. He couldn't figure it out.. but now of course, he "gets it".. I didn't share, and I didn't take a chip.. I wanted to take a chip, but was afraid I might break down.

THANK YOU SR PEEPS!! I could not would not have done it without YOU!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

thats great scoob

D
Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks for letting us know!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

way to go!!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

also... that first chip is for 1-24 hours AND 1-29 days... you can pick one up next time! (and don't worry about breaking down... i cried like a baby when i got mine. and you know what? it was completely fine. i got a lot of hugs and support, tissues, phone numbers... not a single sideways glance or ounce of judgement.)
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Awesome, sunshine, for going to a meeting! I love going to meetings..... I always get something out of them. Hearing others talk about their experience, strength, and hope keeps me coming back. So far... something like 260 meetings in 320 days! Keep coming back, it really does work!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Wow!! 320 days.. Good for u johnny1day! People were talking about happiness and joy.. I'm not depressed, but I can only think of how much I'm going to be missing my old friend alcohol right now.. Which does not make me joyful...
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Congratulations SS , you've made it to shore
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Thank you Trick riicky.. I have a long way to go, but hopefully with friends like you and everyone else on here I can make it one day at a time..
Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

That's a big step, getting that first meeting under your belt! I was struck by all of the "God talk" at first, too, but sometimes even though I don't believe in the traditional "God" idea and have a "Higher Power", I will still refer to my HP as "God" for relatability in the group. For me, after getting back into a few meetings, the next step was to come a little early, stay a little late to start meeting and getting to know other members and to scout out a sponsor. That will come, though.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Grateful

Personally I think meetings are fun. Ours usually have free coffee and some kind of snacks. I went to one tonight and the group is called "Last Call". It runs from 10PM-11PM. I usually try to get to at least one step meeting, one BB meeting a week and usually 2 discussion meetings. I also meet with my sponsor once a week one on one for around an hour as he is starting to guide me through the steps.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshinescooby View Post
I DID IT!!! I WENT!!!
Yeah! Keep coming back

I didn't take a chip.. I wanted to take a chip, but was afraid I might break down.
I was two weeks sober when I got my first chip. I broke down and you know what that is okay. I am just getting to a point that I know that is okay to cry.

Get one next time. I know mine is very important to me. It took courage to go and you can hold on to that token and get the courage to continue to stay sober one day at a time.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

thanks everyone.. Trying to figure out how to get to a meeting today. I think it will be very beneficial to my recovery.. really thank you so much.. I"m touched by all the love and support on here.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just rememeber if you don't have a ride then call the AA hotline. They can connect you to your nearest intergroup and find someone on the list that can pick you up and drop you off.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

thanks Gracie Lou, it's not the transport, it's the time. Lots of work and life stuff today. Although I keep telling myself the most important thing is my recovery..
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey Scoobie, I'm really happy that your meeting went well! Good for you!

Keep well, keep strong, keep sober!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Although I keep telling myself the most important thing is my recovery..
Yep, they tell us in Alanon that it's like the little oxygen mask thingies in a plane--when things go to hell and those pop out, you need to put YOUR OWN on first, b/c you will not be able to help anyone else unless you take care of yourself first.

I imagine AA has some similar story!

Glad you went, glad it was a good experience for you. There are telephone and online chat meetings too, if there is truly no way for you to get to an in-person meeting, but if you possibly can, make yourself and your recovery enough of a priority to get to a meeting whenever you feel like you need it.