Notices

Trying to get courage for first AA meeting

Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

You seem like such an honest and sensible person. It is good to see someone so eager to get and remain sober. Keep your eye on the prize
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Finally got my chip today! It was a great meeting! I finally shared. It was a different mix of people, not everyone knew each other. Two gentlemen there had 35 and 36 years of sobriety.. AMAZING!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Sober Today

That is great! I tried a women's meeting today and LOVED it. I took the white chip this time and even shared for a minute!

I have been thinking of you, hoping you'd give it more chances.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Thanks GE&H!! Our chips were silver. There were a lot of new people there, or relapsers. I realize now they were the ones with courage... To come back.. I also want to try a women's group.. So happy to see you other post about dinner.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I am glad that both of you had good meetings

Originally Posted by sunshinescooby View Post
Two gentlemen there had 35 and 36 years of sobriety.. AMAZING!!!
The meeting I go to on Saturday morning is my home group and the lead has been sober longer than I have been alive! His sobriety date was 01/01/1967.

It still never fails to amaze me that someone who you can look at and feel that you can't have anything in common with, other than we are both alcoholics, mentions a part of their story that really speaks right to your heart.

I wanted to comment but I just couldn't. I was already on the edge of tears and I think If I tried I would have ran out of the room bawling like an idiot.

I thought of approaching him after but I just couldn't. Hopefully our paths will cross again and I can thank him.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I was talking to someone after a meeting about this, GracieLou. How we all look so different, are different ages, come from different walks of life, have different "bottoms," drank different amounts - yet we are all so similar in what goes in our heads with this addiction.

If that little voice creeps into my head doubting whether I'm an alcoholic (and it does daily because my urge to drink is still very strong), I go to a meeting and it wipes out any doubt whatsoever. I'm right where I belong there.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post
I was talking to someone after a meeting about this, GracieLou. How we all look so different, are different ages, come from different walks of life, have different "bottoms," drank different amounts - yet we are all so similar in what goes in our heads with this addiction.

If that little voice creeps into my head doubting whether I'm an alcoholic (and it does daily because my urge to drink is still very strong), I go to a meeting and it wipes out any doubt whatsoever. I'm right where I belong there.
This is the beauty of AA. One alcoholic talking to another