Notices

New and scared

Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Heya Biff, don't beat yourself up - just pick yourself up and dust yourself down and you can do this . I have only managed to have 1 wine over the bank hol weekend as I was designated driver back from the pub and must admit that like you - as long as I don't have 1 I can cope without not drinking for the day.

I wish you all the best - stick with it - this site has helped me so much already x
Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hey Biffster, I'm a fellow Scot actually! I just moved to England last year for a job!

You are not alone, I just joined here the other day and the help and comments I have already received has been fantastic! I'm a much similar style of drinker than you: 4 or 5 pints every night, then back on the binge on the weekend. I have just stopped now but it's been a long time coming. Im only 24 and have a few health issues due to my drink, and have actually damaged my liver before; currently worried I have done so again, that was the last straw for me and now I am currently 3 days sober. Got to start somewhere right?

To be honest this weekend is going to be a huge test for me. Me and big group of my friends have planned a hotel weekend away; it's been on the cards for about 8 months now, and I'm going to try and not drink alcohol the entire time :S wish me luck!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks Sarah and MilligrameSmile much appreciated for the comments and good luck for this weekend mate ill be rooting for you :-)
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thanks Sarah and MilligrameSmile much appreciated for the comments and good luck for this weekend mate ill be rooting for you :-)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Brand new to posting anything but thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Nice to know that I am not alone in this struggle
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi Biff - boy, I could have written your post about trying to have just one and having it turn into a binge. Actually, I could have written it for the past ten years. You are back, that's the great part, you didn't just sink into "oh well, I failed, time to drink because I'm a failure." That was the excuse I used (over and over).

I am three months sober now and I gotta tell ya, I'm loving it and I know you can do it too. Let's keep doin' this thang.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks Northlander good to know I've got you at my back mate
Old 05-29-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustSarah View Post
Heya Biff, don't beat yourself up - just pick yourself up and dust yourself down and you can do this . I have only managed to have 1 wine over the bank hol weekend as I was designated driver back from the pub and must admit that like you - as long as I don't have 1 I can cope without not drinking for the day.

I wish you all the best - stick with it - this site has helped me so much already x
Well done you for this weekend Sarah x
Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Has anyone else felt like they burned through an addiction......or else is this some grandiosity borne out of my mind?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Explain please katmandu I'm listening...
Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Started on the patches today what the hell I figure I'd be as well and getting rid of my 2 demons at the same time, it might work for me or against me but if I feel I want a drink because of the fags ill smoke again sobriety is more important
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Just be careful Biff.
Don't take on too much at one time.
Stopping drinking and smoking is a lot to do in one go.

I think you are spot on though to say your sobriety is more important.

I gave up smoking first.
Alcohol was not as bigger problem then for me.
I think I am 5 years without a smoke.
It is brilliant to be smoke free, I love it. No going outside for a smoke due to the smoking ban. I think I smell nicer and my home and car does too.

I also have a 3 year old and I would hate her to see me smoke.

Just go careful mate.

My best
x
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I will sasha thanks for the concern just woke up to a beautiful morning I hope everyone has a fantastic alcohol free day love Biff (Day 3 Again!)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

What a beautiful day up in Callander in Scotland so glad I didn't have a drink last night a big Thankyou to the ones who told me to get back on the horse after my relapse at the weekend it would have been so easy to say Ah well I fell so I'd be as well drinking today....
Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hey Biff - I gave up the smoking first (I'm at 125 days smoke-free) and then the booze a couple of weeks later (about 90 some days now). Starting with one addiction and giving it a few weeks before moving on to the other addiction worked for me, so if you fall off the smoking wagon don't sweat it too much and keep your eyes on the prize of staying sober. Smokes are bad, but I never had a blackout due to smoking or had a cigarette impair me behind the wheel.

You are doing great buddy! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hope you're having a good day biff I fell off the wagon last night - euuugh!! Back to the drawing board :o/
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thanks Northlander mate that's great advice I'm not going to beat myself up if smoke because staying sober is more important cheers.

Hi Sarah well done you for posting so soon and not doing what I did last Friday Sat Sun Mon!!! Im back to Day 4 but feeling confident about tomorrow and the weekend I've got family stuff planned and told my mates I was busy this weekend I know I can't dodge talking about it forever but I haven't went a weekend of no alcohol in ..... Actually I can't remember how bad is that! Anyway let's keep posting and help each other 1 day at a time x
Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

And we'll done Northlander that's impressive stats with the drink and cigs my favourite 2 sins lol, keep up the good work buddy
Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good luck for the weekend Biff! Have you got anything nice planned? We go on holiday in 2 weeks so I'll be running around trying to sort out what we all need - that plus some last minute dieting / exercising haha

Let us know how you get on

Day 2 for me and feeling good x
Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good luck for the weekend Biff! Have you got anything nice planned? We go on holiday in 2 weeks so I'll be running around trying to sort out what we all need - that plus some last minute dieting / exercising haha Let us know how you get on Day 2 for me and feeling good x