Notices

New and scared

Old 05-21-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and scared

Hi I'm Biffster 38 and a bit nervous as this is my first post, I am a plasterer from Scotland married with 1 child,

I have been told for a long time now I drank too much (mostly the wife) but as all my friends drink just as much I haven't noticed it getting out of control, Sunday was the last straw all day in the pub then in front of the Tv till blackout if I got caught driving Monday I'd surely be in jail right now! I don't usually drink a Monday (probably heavy weekend catching up on me) but I have 4 pints most days till the weekend then im on it again

I googled red face and alcohol and found this site (people are mentioning at work about using a sunbed) but I know the truth.

I'm not confident enough to mention I need help to my lovely wife nor my friends so I'm going it alone this week to see how deep I'm in, wish me luck x

And please reply if you have time many thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome biff! Ironically googling red face and alcohol is what led me to this site as well. I snuck around here and didn't post the first month of sobriety. Once I got up the courage to post it was like magic. All if the sudden I wasn't alone.

If you are ready and really ready you can do this . Keep reading and posting there is so much support here!
43 days!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

G'day Biffster,

This is the place to be, it's been a great help to me. Really good people, lots of threads that show us that we aren't alone, and no judgement. Awesome forum...
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Biffster - I'm new to this site too and only joined on Sunday after getting totally wasted on Saturday night. I blacked out - was a nightmare for 2 1/2 hours before passing out. I am married with 2 kids and have lost control -looking back over the 17 years i have been drinking I'm not sure i ever had control! I too am going this alone - I have said to my hubby far too many times that I will never drink again and he's lost interest in my false promises. So Sunday I joined here and there's a lot of inspiration and support. I've also been reading about AVRT (it may help you) as well as dusting off my Alan Carr book - I am determined to sort myself out - as is everyone here

I wish you all the best - you can do it. xx
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR biffster.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome Biff!

I'd recommend putting a plan in place, use the resources to read about different programs such as AA, Smart, urge surfing etc... It all helps massively.

Most people here agree that their sobriety is a better life, it takes work, but you can do it if you really want it!

Keep an eye out for any withdrawal symptoms and I'd make sure to go see your doc to get a check up, your body and mind will go through some major changes!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glasgow

Hello to a fellow Glaswegian Good for you in giving up I am from Glasgow and know the drink culture there everything revolves round it and there seems to be a pub every 10 feet. Believe me you are doing the right thing alcohol will take over your life I know from experience.All the best
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Well done on your decision. It's a brave and daunting thing. I too was an every day drinker but now it's well over three weeks without a drink. There comes a time when you know deep down drinking is no longer worth it. Alcohol poisons you physically, mentally and emotionally. Set yourself some goals and go for it. You can do it, I know it.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow thanks guys and girls a tear just came rolling down my face and I knew right there and then this is the right decision, thanks for all your posts information and kinds words, I'm straining at the leash now to make this work
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am new too, today, so I wish you nothing but the very best. One day at a time I guess......
Old 05-21-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Biffster! Glad you found this site. I'm new here too. If you think you have a problem, then it's a great thing that you're ready and willing to do something about it. It's tough, but (I've heard) it's worth it in the end.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The problem is my social life that I need to address, pool with the boys on a Wednesday night and drinking all weekend usually 4hours pub time Fri/Sat/Sunday I even take my child to the baths early so I can hit the pub for half 12, no ones sees or knows how much I drink so telling someone feels good no pub for my usual 2 sneaky pints before I go home today :-)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The weather really doesn't help either does it Biff - it just makes you want to sit in a pub and drink - or if the sun does come out then it's wine o'clock in a local beer garden...with a play area so you can take your kids. I've been trying to change some habits - I now have an exercise DVD on instead of reaching for the bottle... It's at least helped my Monday- Thursday nights. Friday and Saturday nights are my problem though and these 2 coming up will be my first milestones :o/

Good luck to you
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

you are not alone, in more ways than one.

That is exactly how i found this site as well. Red Face/alcohol.

funny how we knew the answer all along.

almost two years sober here.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done Biffster on your first post, keep posting on SR. You are not alone, everyone here wants to help you.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck. I tried going it alone for years and it didn't work. Only resulted in binge drinking, attempting to use my wife as a control. Finally I decided that I needed the help of other alcoholics and joined an AA Agnostics group. Didn't accept all of AA in any dogmatic way but profited by the many good aspects of it and particularly the support of other recovering alcoholics. Sober now for 25 years. So all I can say is try to get as much help as you can, and particularly help from other alcoholics, AA or otherwise.

W.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Biff. This is a great place to come for support. You can do this! Keep us posted on your progress and stay strong; many have come before you and gone down this long path but it is rewarding to be free of the alcohol. The first few days / weeks are the hardest in terms of physical stuff. The mental cravings usually come later (as in the feelings and the "why" of your drinking patterns) you need to get some tools and use them so you're doing the right thing. Many hugs! Glad you're here.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ahh thanks everyone guys managed to drive past my local for my sneaky pint and home with a smile, my work colleagues were talking about ice cold magners and Stella that there drinking tonight and I just smiled and said maybe I will or maybe I won't but tonight I won't :-) One day at a time tho is what will help me before I used to look at not drinking for a month or fortnight and lasted 2 days so this time it's just about today love to you all
Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi mate

I got here by googling something like 'do I drink too much'.

This site has been fundamental to me learning and understanding all I know now about alcohol and addiction. I have about 461? days today without a drink.

The thought of never having another drink scared me stiff.
Now I just wake up in the morning and say 'today I will not drink'. It usually works.

I'm not a big believer in labels - alcoholic, binge drinker, alcohol abuser - for me alcohol made me unhappy and the people I loved unhappy. That was enough for me to stop.

At first it was hard.
I mostly drank at night after work. I drank more at weekends.

I kept busy. I did all types of things - the gym, exercise, cinema, tidied up, cooked meals for the freezer, went for a long drive with loud music.

Now I can hand on heart say, it is my 'normal' to not drink. It would feel strange, if not wrong to sit every night, same spot on the sofa, same glass, same rubbish on the telly, usual bottle of wine.

It honestly is a better way to live. There have been plenty of times I have regretted drinking. I have never regretted not drinking.

My best to you
xx
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Biffster!
I am new and scared as well, you are definitely not alone! I am on day two with the sobriety as well as with this site. I have really found this site helpful so far, just reading others stories who can relate bring me comfort. I am a wife and a mother of three; I also usually had a few anywhere from a 6 to a twelve pack during the weeknights, and then hit her hard come weekends. I too am surrounded by drinkers so never really thought much of it till the panic attacks started getting me. I would drink till blackout mode then awake with panic so terribly I thought I was dying. I have come to the conclusion that I never EVER want to wake up with such a feeling again. I owe it to myself and to my family to be a better me! Best wishes to you, YOU GOT THIS!