Notices

New and scared

Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hello Biffster, congratulations on driving past the pub - bet that felt really good! Keep at it, stay positive
Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks Sasah and Sarah you guys are fab hope it goes well tonight Sarah Im struggling already the captain of the pool team phoned to make sure ill be there as he needs his best players to finish the league and qualify, I said of course ill be there without thinking no I do need to be strong in the pub tonight with all my drinking buddies 😱 xx
Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It did thanks Claryhen
Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Am twitching too Biffster my tescos shopping turned up earlier and have put the bottles of wine in the garage but I know they're there . Doing exercise early today too as motherinlaw will be here - eeeeeugh!!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

If you don't have a drink tonight Sarah I won't 😉
Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

But if you do let me know ha ha I want one too
Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

What's dd09? Am being thick . I will try my best - so far so good but really struggling . Hope you win at pool though !!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Biff, good luck with the pool, remember, you are more of a man for acknowledging you have a problem and are trying to deal with it. Your compadres down the pub may all be facing their own private demons, so just focus on your future.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah dd09? I tried to send a wink (smiley) from my iPhone guess it didn't work lol and thanks also toots last night was a success and a defeat I didn't have one sip of alcohol but it came at a cost I played **** at pool due to nerves. I told my mates I'm on tablets and can't drive but sitting there was hard for the first hour after that I was ok, felt so proud this morning tho so not worried about 1 game of pool there is 10 in the team anyway and I want the only one to get beat. It's funny tho this is only day 4 and the fitter I feel the more I fancy a drink
Old 05-23-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

When I first started I read and read and read on here, on the net, everything I could get. I read about urge surfing, I read about AVRT (really like the idea behind that) I read about AA. Just surround yourself with knowledge to arm you for the fight. I really appreciate the support from on here and the wisdom. You can do this
Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Biff

Is it day 5 today? - thats nearly week!!!!!!!

There is a train of thought that we have an 'addictive voice'.

Its that voice, or those thoughts that say 'just one will not hurt', or 'I cannot have a problem if I have gone 5 days without a drink' or 'I will just drink at weekends and that will be okay'.

I get this voice or those thoughts.
Ignore it don't act on it.

I think the whole reason people continue to drink is that they forget how bad they felt when they decided enough was enough.

When the hangover has passed, when any trouble that happened is sorted and a things have calmed down, so mentally and physically they feel better, thats when thoughts enter our heads to drink.

Dee often talks about playing the tape to the end. So think how it really ends up. Will it be just one drink? I know for me it very rarely was. It would be too many drinks, then a blackout then wake up cringing.

A read of addictive voice recognition technique might explain further.

I got to the point though that I became angry that every social event or occasion has to be celebrated with vast amounts of booze. Why is a babies 1st birthday or a death best marked by having a drink? Or the fact you have a milestone birthday or the start of a new year. I find it sad.

Your doing really well and all the thoughts and feelings you are having, we had, we understand and are completely normal.

My best to you
xx
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Welcome to SR biffster.
Heath
Happy 10 year anniversary

And welcome to you Biiffster, hope you find what you looking for, for me it was AA
Old 05-23-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Well done Biff - good for you!! Good luck for today you can do it . I have a date night tonight and am driving so I can't get pissed and ruin it . Sorry you didn't win at pool though
Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

What is AVRT I've heard about AA and this is SR thanks guys
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I believe AVRT stands for addictive voice recognition technique.
So recognising 'your addictive voice'.

There are a few threads on here about it.

Could anyone post a link please?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thanks sasha, Need advice guys for Sunday also I have 10 of my mates coming to my house for a football match and i don't know how I'm not going to be able to drink, these are close mates so I won't be able to get away with the tablet thing I used for pool, I'm thinking of drinking and sticking to 6 beers but not sure if I can trust myself to stop any thoughts (god only knows I've still got Friday and Saturday to worry about maybe I should concentrate on that )
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Do you think you can stick to 6? I always say that about wine - 1 bottle is plenty but then I drink it all and think "just one more glass" which turns into another and another which results in blackouts and fallings out. Reading my book it also explains how alcohol removes your restrain so the more you drink the less chance you have of stopping...

Just a thought - don't mean to be negative and hell if you think you can stick to 6 then that's cool

It does seem to help reading about alachol issues - I defo agree with whoever posted earlier saying that it helps to know what your up against.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Just tell them you have started breastfeeding!!!
You cannot drink when your breastfeeding.
That might shock them into stunned silence!

To be honest, I believe that 'no' is a complete sentence but I do understand the pressure.

In the start I just said that I wanted to give up drinking for a month. Then as a month went passed I said 6 months. Then I said a year.

Now its a past a year, no-one really bothers me. They accept me and my orange juice/cup of tea/diet coke.

I have never explained to any of my friends or family. Although I am sure some guessed. Hard not to. I see it as my battle and I will fight it in my own way.

My best to you
x
Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I can't post a link yet as I don't have enough posts but if you just put avrt in google it's the first one up - rational recovery.

could you be doing a sponsored no booze month for a charity close to you? Tbh, merely from personal experience 6 beers would lead me to think ah well there's no point quitting now I'll start again Monday.... so for me that way madness lies.

Hope you work it through x
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Lol Sasha that would be a cracker and thanks tho sound advice and thanks also Claryhen I guess I'm kidding myself really, I'm going to say I'm off it for a month as I want to look good for my holiday although I'm only 12 stone but great suggestions ill keep you posted on my antics hope you's are well x