Notices

New and scared

Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Biffster. Welcome to SR from a fellow Glaswegian, well just outside. Congrats on making it through the pool night without giving in. Understand that Sunday and the football will be a hard one, esp if the bhoys do their job. I have to agree with Claryhen though, I know even after four beers, i'd think, oh well, i'll just start again tomorrow. I'm 21 days today. I lasted 28 days in March, the ingest in a very long time. I love beer and became complacent I guess.......just the one, led to two, then three, then the whole of April. I can't tell you how disheartening it is to start at day 1 again, but there are many of us here who have. Stick close by to SR. If I even think of having a drink I think of all my SR friends and their supportive words and immediately theres a little fleeting guilty moment at the thought of letting them and myself down.

Lets face it, it's so common for everyone to drink until they drop in Glasgow, it would probably be more of a badge of honour to show your mates you can stay off it for a night, or a week or a month.........I can here them now.....'"respect tae ye big man" .......go for it Biffster, you can do it. xx
Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

OOps, hear not here!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Biffster, some great suggestions here, definitely read up on AVRT, I found it really helpful.
I found making deals with myself on how much I could drink never worked. Even if I managed to stick to it I felt dissatisfied.
LP is Melbourne just left past Paisley???? Good to see ya sweetie
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Lifeplant I stay 12mile outside Glasgow but Scotland's Scotland our culture is to drink we're brought up with it all around us and although I didn't drink till I was 18 my dad was proud to have me in the pub beside him just like the pitcher plant the trap with alcohol is slow, progressive and cunning. I'm 38 and taking back my life before my 6year who worships me see daddy in a different light, my loving wife too wants me just to cut down but I know what I need to do, no-one knows my relationship with drink except you guys on this site but if I don't stop now everyone will know so .......... Day 4 ending I'm off to bed sober lets all keep this going whatever stage your at
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thanks toots I'm off to bed to read up on AVRT x
Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
. I'm 38 and taking back my life before my 6year who worships me see daddy in a different light, my loving wife too wants me just to cut down but I know what I need to do, no-one knows my relationship with drink except you guys on this site but if I don't stop now everyone will know so .......... Day 4 ending I'm off to bed sober lets all keep this going whatever stage your at
Biffster, not only do you not want your wee man to see you that way, you also do not want him growing up thinking that drinking to excess of normal and ok

You are doing fine!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Biffster, some great suggestions here, definitely read up on AVRT, I found it really helpful.
I found making deals with myself on how much I could drink never worked. Even if I managed to stick to it I felt dissatisfied.
LP is Melbourne just left past Paisley???? Good to see ya sweetie
Ha, yes Toots, keep to the left and cross a pond or ten and you've found me !!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

6:30am Day 5 just opened my peepers Good Morning SR had a close brush last night was tempted to go out to the garage for "just 1" beer but I didn't because I didn't want to wake up and post I was drinking or I failed, ha, 5 days in and I feel You's are family how strange yet exhilarating its Friday tho need my guard up for after work don't think I've never not drank on a Friday but tell you what I feel fantastic this morning I could get used to this. No wrenching brushing my teeth, no bloodshot eyes looking back in the mirror and breakfast, me breakfast (I meal I could never face) Thanks guys your help is inspiring love Biff
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Wow, I wonder how people feel after 2/3 weeks, I think ill go read some posts
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feel free to join a monthly thread Biffster - the Class of May is in this forum - it's for anyone quitting or wanting to quit this month.

D
Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Dee, Biff and others have asked about AVRT I never know how to post links, can you?

Biff good going on last night, and I know exactly what you mean about how quickly SR gets under your skin!! Dee is right, read and write on different threads, some will feel more 'right'for you than others.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thankyou Dee
Old 05-24-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well done Biff!! Good for you!! Keep up the good work! You can do this xx
Old 05-24-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you Biff. It'll get so much easier - and you're doing great.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

How are you doing biff?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah thanks for asking on Day 2 again! I went for a drink after work on Friday with my friends witch led to drinking Saturday witch led to All Day Sunday (I was off work on Monday) oh and curer on Monday 10 pints yesterday I very tired at work Tuesday but managed through and had an early night feeling better today but gutted I've let everyone that posted down :-(

I got a over confident and thought I could have a drink Huh! Came crashing down with a doctors letter yesterday my liver results came back abnormally (we're trying for another child and have started invertillity programme) I didn't he know the bloods I gave we're for liver function! Anyway I have to cut out the drink and get re-tested in a month so I'm bloody more determined than ever now, thanks for listening everyone
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Sorry guys at work and post fast excuse any spelling or mistakes for the above
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Biff - you have not let anybody down here. I probably should not speak for everyone else, but for me, you have not at all let me down.

We have been where you are.
If stopping drinking was so simple, and so easy SR and AA would not exist would it?

And its progress, not perfection remember.

This is all new to you, you won't 'get it' first time.

Try not to worry about the blood tests.
The liver function is just done automatically when you have a blood test. It would happen to everyone who has a blood test, its not just you.

And blood tests are not the best to diagnose any liver problems. The results are just a guide. An ultrasound is much better and more accurate as you can see the liver.

The doctors are obviously not super worried as you have not been booked in for a liver transplant just yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a month to get it more normal.
Why not come here over this month, read and post and get to grips with understanding alcohol addiction?
Sr is always open, 24 hours a day and we never shoot our wounded!

My best to you Biff
xx
Old 05-29-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thankyou so so much Sarah I will, ill be on Everyday and ill go back to one day at a time for now, why I thought I could stop drinking overnight first time ill never know guess I really don't know my relationship with alcohol yet, going to give it more respect and realise I can't have 1 or 2 pints, I'm going to tell my wife and mates I'm off it for a month for my holiday in 6 weeks that way hopefully it will remove a lot of temptation speak soon love Biff
Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Biff - I would say it took me five or six years to get to the point where I am today.
And I don't think I am 'cured' or 'better' by any means.

Thats the whole thing about addiction its 'cunning, baffling and powerful'.
Just when you think your okay, in the clear, something happens and your back where you started.
Thats why you see people relapsing after years and years of living without alcohol.

There is a thread on here by an English bloke called Spen. It might be worth a read when you have time. You can see all he deals with and how his life changes.

I think for me, and maybe this will happen for you, one of the best realisations that has happened is I don't see alcohol as just having an 'innocent drink' or a 'cheeky pint' anymore.
I know where it can lead.

I feel huge compassion for anyone struggling with alcohol addiction, whether they are in the early stages of the disease or the late, terminal stages.

I also feel huge sympathy for the really drunk person staggering around making a show of themselves at the pub, a party, any type of celebration. We never know exactly what they are battling.

You got yourself some sober days last week.
Thats brilliant.
You have not lost those days, they are not taken away from you.
Your health will have benefitted from those days.
You should still be proud of yourself Biff.

Chin up, keep battling, one day at a time.

My best to you
x