Notices

I'm new and scared :(

Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new and scared :(

Hi Im addicted to alcohol. There I said it. Can anyone point me in the rite direction to get help here please, where do I start? Wow this feels like a big step x
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi welcome to SR - you picked the right place to come!!

Tell us about yourself - were all in same boat and many oars here to row the boat to a better life ! :-)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a HUGE step and you are already headed in the right direction! Welcome.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi im new and scared to. ya know antabuse can b a good start. im an opiate user and need to get revia (an opiate blocker) prob is my dr wont call it in. gotta go get it. i was an alcoholic and god healed me completely at salvation. i assume my inner unresolved pain led me back to a substitute. the prayers of the righteous are STRONG! I call the 700 club and other prayer support. i know ur scared. but sumtimes the beast looks bigger than it is! Aa. Cr. counseling? preferably christian? there's all sorts of help and god is a miracle worker. hes bigger than addiction. way bigger!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR x

Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow cried that anyone cared to be honest! Im 35 , mum 2 kids and drink every day. I don't want this life anymore and hoping I can meet likeminded people online
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jeni26 hope I can b like u one day x
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello,
Admitting that you have a drinking problem is hard. It took my a really long time to admit to myself, and to others that i was an Alcoholic. Not saying you are, I am for sure. There is freedom in the admittance. The secret that you have been keeping is no longer a secret, and you can move into getting help for a problem that so many of us have.
AA, AVRT, SMART and other methods are programs that have been successful for people. Check them out. I use this site as my main source of interaction for my recovery. I have made friends here. We relate to one another. Please keep posting and reading. You are not alone. One day at a time is how we do it.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your reply, I have felt so alone and a failure. I hope I too can make friends and find support x
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rainyengland thanks for ur reply. I'm really pleased u read and replied. I'm a mum of 2 and I drink every day
Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There lots of us here who drank just like you Daisy, me included.

Some of us are mums, dads, grandma and grandpa's, uncles, aunts, sisters, brothers, sons or daughters but we all have one thing in common.

I am a mum of one. A three year old. The light of my life.

If I could share with you what worked for me...

1. Keep busy at trigger times. So evenings when my child is in bed, I did chores, had a bath, did cooking, read on here in bed, read magazines, sorted junk out for car boot sales.

2. I smashed my favourite glass and got off the sofa away from the television. It was where I sat and drank on an evening.

3. I did not think about a week away, a month away, a year away. I concentrated on not drinking for one day.

4. I never let myself get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. This stands for HALT and is used by lots of addicts to keep cravings away.

5. I went to some different AA meetings, a SMART meeting, read up and learnt as much about alcohol as I could.

6. I tried not to blow insignificant things out of proportion. I would use a 'drama' or a 'crisis' as an excuse to drink. Sometimes just leaving the house for a walk or going for a drive helped.

7. I never told anyone what I was doing or why. I just said I was giving alcohol a break. I also did not let anyone pressure me into drinking either.

8. I came to Sober recovery everyday, twice or three times a day. I read, I posted and I learnt.

By doing that I got myself 441 days without alcohol.
Its great, I never look back. You can do it too!

xxxx
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your not alone - I'm a dad of 4 and drank every day for years.

It's today that counts - you made a decision to tackle the problem and that is super great !

You will be amazed by just giving this a go how quickly you can turn it around :-)

Read,write,shout,cry - we all understand !

Good luck :-)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisyboo View Post
Hi Im addicted to alcohol. There I said it. Can anyone point me in the rite direction to get help here please, where do I start? Wow this feels like a big step x
Hey daisyboo! No need to be scared. U should feel good, u r taking a big 1st step in admitting. I went the AA/NA route and I would highly suggest it. Let me know if you want some resources.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Admitting there's a problem is the first step in solving it. You've come to a great place for support and friendship.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Daisyboo. Keep posting your progress and reading other similar experiences here. It really helps. Join the 24 hour club by signing in every day. Good luck we are all on your side
Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Daisyboo - you're not alone here

D
Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Daisyboo... welcome to the SR community, and congratulations on beginning a new chapter in your life. The thought of a sober path can be intimidating, the first steps are the hardest, but its easier to walk a path light and sober than chained to addiction...
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support, I'm crying cos I have felt so lonely and isolated in this 'mess' . I feel like I can really turn a corner now. I'm exhausting this forum to get information and have just asked to join the 24 club thread. It's all new but I'm willing to learn. It's 3am, I'm normally awake between now and about 5 am with a hangover of sorts. Sounds awful doesn't it. How on earth did I get like this? X
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just read back through all your helpful comments and when I read my own I cannot believe it is me! Seeing the words in front of me really helps me to see the reality of this 'problem'. Drinking has slowly dominated my life, it has crept in and taken over. Taken over all aspects of my life. I think I have been kidding myself up till now you know. Oh it's ok, you know just one drink etc etc.
I never open up and talk about things, not even to my husband, he works until pretty late most days so by the time he gets back I'm either in bed or had a few drinks. I find it hard to open up. I have always kept my feelings to myself and just suppress them with wine this forum is prob the first time I have actually opened up and talked/ written about me and my feelings! Funny thing is I feel selfish doing it and sort of like I'm wasting all of your time lol x
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome, Daisyboo. i found strength and support on these forums and through the doors of AA. learning to reach out to others for support is hard. the hardest thing to do for me is to call those AA numbers in my phone but when i finally do, i feel a lot less alone and a lot better. keep reaching out to others for love, support and strength. you will always find the hand of recovery reaching back.