View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sasha4

There lots of us here who drank just like you Daisy, me included.

Some of us are mums, dads, grandma and grandpa's, uncles, aunts, sisters, brothers, sons or daughters but we all have one thing in common.

I am a mum of one. A three year old. The light of my life.

If I could share with you what worked for me...

1. Keep busy at trigger times. So evenings when my child is in bed, I did chores, had a bath, did cooking, read on here in bed, read magazines, sorted junk out for car boot sales.

2. I smashed my favourite glass and got off the sofa away from the television. It was where I sat and drank on an evening.

3. I did not think about a week away, a month away, a year away. I concentrated on not drinking for one day.

4. I never let myself get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. This stands for HALT and is used by lots of addicts to keep cravings away.

5. I went to some different AA meetings, a SMART meeting, read up and learnt as much about alcohol as I could.

6. I tried not to blow insignificant things out of proportion. I would use a 'drama' or a 'crisis' as an excuse to drink. Sometimes just leaving the house for a walk or going for a drive helped.

7. I never told anyone what I was doing or why. I just said I was giving alcohol a break. I also did not let anyone pressure me into drinking either.

8. I came to Sober recovery everyday, twice or three times a day. I read, I posted and I learnt.

By doing that I got myself 441 days without alcohol.
Its great, I never look back. You can do it too!

xxxx