Notices

Class of May 2013

Old 05-05-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Wink

Hi myli,

I also don't want to end up like half my family. Every blood relative save one son (who is alcohol phobic, bless him), is totally dependent on alcohol, although technically high functioning. None of the can get through an evening without cocktails and wine. My brother has been DUI' d 3 times, my mother has fallen while drunk repeatedly, and my dad excuses himself to finish drinking in bed each night at 7 pm. This was considered moderate, normal drinking when i was growing up and even now. Of course I'm the one with the problem because I'm the first to pass out when I drink with them, leaving them to tsk tsk about my problem.

This is not to suggest I don't have a problem, of course I do. I gues the point is that what people consider normal drinking is not always so normal. I can't drink casually and I don't want to need booze for anything. I just get frustrated when people who share the same addiction point fingers at others. My I'm grumpy today!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

You welcome lifetplant They are not only delicious but also very healthy.Im trying to find a lots of non-alcohol drinks recipes,sober drinking dont have to be boring drinking Tonight Im going to make Non-alcoholic Sangria so I can catch up on my shows and celebrate Cinco de Mayo like everybody else
Plan for today is to finish my laundry and cleaning-so I dont have to worry about it for the next few days,workout,some grocery shopping, AA meeting.Im falling in love with the feeling of being productive
P.S.Heres the recipe if anyone wants to try it:
Non-Alcoholic Sangria
Serves 8

2 cups boiling water
2 black tea bags (or 2 teaspoons loose-leaf tea in an infuser)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups pomegranate juice
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 orange, sliced into thin rounds
1 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
1 lime, sliced into thin rounds
1 apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
3 cups carbonated water

Pour boiling water over tea bags and cinnamon sticks and steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags and stir in sugar to dissolve.

In a large jar or pitcher, combine tea, cinnamon sticks, pomegranate juice, orange juice, orange, lemon, lime, and apple. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and preferably overnight.

Just before serving, stir in carbonated water. Serve in glasses over ice.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Day 2, here goes xx
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Good luck. I am at working now...am starting to dread going home because that's when I have my first glass of wine. I might try that sangria, or maybe just freshsly squeezed organge juice.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Oh yes I know exactly what you mean, evenings are worse. Well anytime from 4 pm! You can do this, make the sangria and let me know if it's any good!! Hope u made it through the evening. I didn't sleep through the night but didn't have a pounding headache either, although got bit of headache this morning x
Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I'm going to join this class. I had 29 days sober after being in rehab for 13 days. I relapsed on April 30, and have been sober since May 1. I have been trying to quit for 23 years.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hi all classmates of May. Member Odelle suggested I join. So here goes! I'm a ridiculously private person. I don't do fb...so expressing myself on here is way out of my comfort zone but hell I need help! I've been drinking in an uncontrolled way for past 9 years. I stopped only when pregnant with my two boys but I still would have the occasional glass. I've never had a month without alcohol for 22 years! Typically I start drinking at 4 in afternoon as soon as my husband got home, so he could look after kids. One bottle of wine was minimum. I don't know how I'm going to do this. Drinking has been such a major enjoyable part of my life. But it also been the cause of so many shameful negative things. The negative far outweigh the positives now and it's time to end my relationship with alcohol. In fact .... Wine and champagne, you are officially dumped.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome nowme and newem - I know you'll both find this group a very friendly and understanding one

good to have you here

D
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Newem, I totally relate to your post - totally private too, I don't ever discuss my feelings with anyone. I also start drinking at 4 ish each day .....apart from yesterday! Day one complete! You can do this!! Xx
Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I too am private about admiting my problem. But if I really think about it I haven't been to private about getting too drunk around people. It's five a clock about time I get off bus and go to bottle shop...hoping I don't today..already have shocking headache
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Here you are, I'm newly clean again, so I'm just saying hi to the Class of May. "Hi!"
Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLi View Post
I too am private about admiting my problem. But if I really think about it I haven't been to private about getting too drunk around people. It's five a clock about time I get off bus and go to bottle shop...hoping I don't today..already have shocking headache
I've been getting the headaches too MyLi and it's day 5 for me. Lots of water help and also exercise. I agree with your comment not being private about being drunk. I feel sick when recollecting the things I have said and done. No more shame.....no more wine.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Finally, I am first at something!!! I have joined several classes, and have met amazing people along the way. Since I am getting old (42) I figure the first of the month is a good date to remember. As much as I have avoided AA I have my alarm set and plan on attending a meeting at 5:30 tomorrow morning. Then home to pick up the kids and head to work. Looking forward to meeting the May members, and reconnecting with my SR family.
Hi Delilah, we are getting mature, yes, I will be 43 this year. Nice to meet you!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hi LadyB, I'm newly clean and this is day two. Even though it's a day at a time, I can reflect on many summers that just vaporized in alcohol, and I don't want summer 2013 to be like that.

Beavis, Bombshell, hello, hi Mrb.

OLL thanks for the encouragement, a year feels like forever from here, but it's coming anyway... it would be nice to be able to remember it

Leshar, I know what you mean about not blinking about a wine purchase in terms of cash. I'd be mad finding myself in a place where shampoo isn't as cheap as some other store, but no problem finding liquor money. Sheesh.

Hi Peaceful

Felt good to read all the May comments and meet some new SR people. See you around.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Ya, sheesh, haha! I had a good Monday morning laugh (much needed) with your blog pics! And thanks for directing me to the "Things a normie wouldn't know" thread, will make for interesting reading!
Happy Monday, everyone!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hi club may,

Day 3 here. My husband bought me a really nice bicycle for my birthday (which is not forv2 more months) and I'm going to ride to work today! Let's hope I dont break my neck. We are hoping that I get fit enough to join him in some week long bike trips through scenic parts of the us and Europe if we can ever retire. ( we're pushing 55 and have kids in college). Nice to dream at least. Have not been excited about a bike since my first huffy 10 speed at age 13.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hello All,

I need to join this! Today is day 1. I've quit many times (at least, I thought I did). And I think that I can have a drink after a long sober period. But then, eventually it becomes out of contol. This happens every time! So, today I've chosen to take my life back!

Thanks for having me.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I really want to quit drinking - I'm setting a bad example for my children and am not the wife I could/should be.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Welcome elizka!

Well, one thing is for sure, you are not alone!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

All......I've been hanging around here for months, reading daily and following struggles and triumphs. But I just don't seem to be able to get myself up to the starting gate.

I read about lives full of partners, kids, pets.......they don't seem like alcoholic lives to me. To me, if you have that stuff still intact, you're drinking but you can't be addicted.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Currently, I'm a high functioning alcoholic.....I still have my interesting and well rewarded work. Meet me after 12, and I'm fine. But I'm starting to notice the changes. The signature on my divorce application was very different to the one on my marriage certificate.

Losing a parent, a baby and a wife all inside three years has sent me to another level all together. Waking up in the morning is the worst part of every day. I either go to work or to the fridge. If I go to work....I come home to the fridge for relief

it seems impossible to do this so totally solo. I really see the solo, isolated people are the one's who drop out of this every month.
Alcohol dissolves isolation. AA isn't an option....there isn't one here.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated