Notices

Class of May 2013

Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. This isn't my first day one and it may not be my last, but I'm looking forward to the days ahead.

Short backstory; I was part of the class of April as part of a challenge I had set myself, which was to not drink for a month (or 'do a 30' as some refer to it by) and then assess whether this was something I would want to continue.

I got through April fine, although there were a few difficult days, but basically I learned to keep myself busy doing other things, things that are a lot more productive than alcohol.

I allowed myself to have a drink last night so long as I was sensible about it as I had completed the challenge I had set myself, and I had a total of 4 tiny bottles of beer (it added up to 6 units in total). Obviously after a month out my tolerance has lowered significantly, and the alcohol did nothing to enhance my evening. I realised that I had been enjoying myself much more without alcohol.

So, Day 1 again for me now. I learned a lot last month and I'm looking forward to learning more this month.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well..I guess today is my real day one since I was drinking yesterday
I barely slept...little shaky...brain fog... I.know how this goes. Today will be tough but one minute at a time. I am very angry with myself
Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome Class of May from a class of April member. I am about to do one month as of Monday May 6. I have found lots of support and advice here and wish you all the best!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Day 4 for me (after I slipped again). Looking forward to another day of unpacking boxes and getting my new apartment set up. I can feel change in the air...
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Slowly creeping through night 5.
Cannot stop thinking about tomorrow night. I can almost taste some chardonnay on my tongue.
No, no, no.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caszee View Post
Slowly creeping through night 5.
Cannot stop thinking about tomorrow night. I can almost taste some chardonnay on my tongue.
No, no, no.
Try not to romanticise it Cazee. I'm hardly Dr Sober myself, but I try to imagine the awful day 1s, the anxiety, the guilt. You can do it!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Got through day 1. Made myself a healthy dinner and watched a show that previously I hadn't been able to see through to the end, due to falling asleep drunk on the couch.
Slept poorly, tired, but I'm heading off to a yoga class now.
Have a great day everyone, this place is so great!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Popping in from the April 2013 to wish you all luck! I see many of our wonderful April Bandicoots are going to jump in here on the May thread too, so I know you'll have a great group this month!

Today is 35 days sober for me and I found so much encouragement and support here on SR and I know you will too! Great job everyone for taking this first step!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 3 .The hardest part for me is to go to work and stay sober there...but I know its possible.I did it last night and I can do it tonight.My boss let me just leave if Ill feel like I cant stay there without drinking.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 1 again.....maybe the 3rd time is a charm!

I don't know why I keep sabotaging myself. I drank a bottle of wine yesterday, nothing happened, no one knew. I had sobered up before my husband came home. There was no fight, nothing nasty said, nothing broken, no strange bruises on me this morning, no weird facebook rants, no hangover.

I know I can walk away from that AV, I've done it many times. I don't know why I do this to myself. I feel myself getting so sick and tired of it though.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey Bevis and all my other fellow teachers.. Why is there a trend with teachers? I work with a first year teacher that was joking about how she goes home every night and has a couple glasses of wine. Me knowing my inner demons and no one else knowing that I have inner demons... I pulled her aside and suggested that she start walking or exercising every evening because that one or two glasses will lead to more. This is a first year teacher talking! I have been teaching for 13 years and my drinking started in year 11..
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

By the way this is my day 1... Sorry to report that!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Welcome, a big hearty welcome to our Class of May!
Newly minted 1 monther here, and I could not have done it without my classmates of April.
I hope all of you guys will use the resources here. If nothing else to take the edge off for a few minutes. Those minutes add up to hours, days, and so on, and so it goes.

Suggesting to me a month ago that I could go without booze for a month would have been pretty ridiculous to my drinking self. But. If I can do it, anyone can.

The most important thing is our lives is ourselves. It sounds goofy and selfish...but if we're sick, in jail, or dead...we're not much use to those we want to love, teach, cherish, and befriend.

Be well, class of May! Looking forward to getting to know you.
-SB
Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Sounds like a comedy routine. My running joke with my colleagues used to be that I couldn't wait to hit rock bottom so I could go to one of those fancy rehab vacation places in Malibu, partially funded by insurance. But I got about as close to rock bottom as I care to get. All the meals are cooked for me, everybody tries not to push my buttons, sit and meditate and stare at the beach all day...
This is a rough time of year for teachers. It's like childbirth: if you could remember all the pain and torture it put you through, you would probably never have more than one child.
I've been having these major tired spells. I just want to curl up on the couch. I'm having a hard time staying awake much longer than 9:00. I'm like a zombie when I wake up in the morning even though I am sleeping better than I have in years. Could this be PAWS?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Beavis, I don't know about PAWS, but I identify with the fatigue.
Only day 2 for me, and I felt so wiped and headachey this afternoon, I just could not resist sleeping on the couch. Cravings today in the evening, as I see some have at this time too.
Hope you get some answers about your tired spells.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Beavis & Leshar - I have also had some fatigue spells. I have had a few Week 1's and the first week seems to always be the hardest, for me, from a fatigue standpoint. From what I have read on here is completely normal and will pass. I seem to get bursts of energy and then all of a sudden I feel like I could just sleep for days. However, I am noticing that I am sleeping much better at night. I don't miss passing out and waking up at 3am unable to get back to sleep or waking up in a panic wondering where I hid the bottle and if my husband noticed I was drunk, etc.....ugh. Anyway, just wanted to say you are not alone, pretty sure fatigue is normal and just part our bodies way of getting healthy again
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
or waking up in a panic wondering where I hid the bottle and if my husband noticed I was drunk, etc.
I know that feeling!!!!! That in itself is exhausting!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I also feel exhausted but more mentally,thats why I decided not working tonight.Stay home,did some errands,visited tanning saloon ,cook and clean up a lil bit even tho all I want to do is sleep.I hate this feeling but its normal for me,whenever I got some problems,feel sad,etc. I "run away" to sleep.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
TTB

Getting ready for my first weekend being sober in probably 25 years..maybe a little longer. Gonna go to the gym, do lots of yard work, etc.

What are your plans?

Focused on not drinking today.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good luck with your plans!
I'm helping a friend hang an art show tomorrow, and on Sunday, I hope to begin sorting out the terrible mess on my desk. It's disgraceful realizing that I had become a complete slob, would rather drink than address papers etc. Actually, the whole house is a mess, no one ever visits, so I didn't care.
I did clean up a horrible mess in the kitchen the other day, though, and before I began, I took a photo of the mess, and made it my "wallpaper" to sort of jolt me out of mindless hours Internet surfing. It's what I'd do, surf and drink wine, and get nothing accomplished.
Day 3 for me.
Have a good weekend everyone!