Notices

Class of May 2013

Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of May 2013

This is the thread of support for anyone quitting drink or drugs in May 2013...please join us

D
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Finally, I am first at something!!! I have joined several classes, and have met amazing people along the way. Since I am getting old (42) I figure the first of the month is a good date to remember. As much as I have avoided AA I have my alarm set and plan on attending a meeting at 5:30 tomorrow morning. Then home to pick up the kids and head to work. Looking forward to meeting the May members, and reconnecting with my SR family.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just popping in from the class of May 2012 thread to give you hope and strength.

What I thought a year ago....it's impossible to get and stay sober...I cannot make it past a Friday night without drinking... A sober life will be boring....I won't be able to cope with stress without drinking....I'm not really an alcoholic....I am going to lose all my friends.....

ALL TOTAL BS.

Life today is unbelievably better. I have friends, a strong marriage and all I ever wanted was here for me all along. I just couldn't see it.

Good luck on your journeys everyone.

Xxx
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

New month, new start for me too!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all. I'm from October 2012 class, and checked in to welcome you and say a couple of words of encouragement)

I second what Jeni26 has said - life is unbelievably better when sober, and it's absolutely possible to have fun, cope with stress, and enjoy life without alcohol involved.

May is a beautiful month, when flowers and trees are blooming. Make yourself a gift of sobriety and enjoy beautiful colors of life.

Best luck to you on the sober journey!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me 3 I'm excited and really scared at the same time.Jeni most of your thoughts from the last year are mine right now...but your post give me so much hope that I can do it too.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning! Welcome newbies I am from the April class (just last month), but thought I would join in this class too. I made it to 20 days last month and then slipped up one night so am back on Day 6. This forum has really helped me, though, and I hope to have made April the month I quit drinking and May the first month I make it all the way through (31 days, right?) It really is a great month to make a fresh start. I hope we can help each other through. Right now SR is my only support (besides family) so I am on here a lot. Just post here whenever you feel good, worried, sad, angry, etc. It has really helped me to put my feelings and/or frustrations into words and realize I am not alone in this struggle towards sobriety.

We can do this
Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi ladybug, glad to see you. I live in Penn as well. Beautiful sunny day!!!
I'm an April 2013 dropout. I made it 13 days, had a drink, whined about starting my count over. Then had a week moment during the weekend. I bought a couple of bottles of wine thinking I was going to stockpile them in case company came. Yah right, they didn't stand a chance.
But I am on my third day. Cravings hit very hard from 4 until 8. I figure if I can make it to 8:00 in the evening, I'm good. I almost caved in last night to shut up my AV. He was like, "well that was fun, can we drink now." I thought if I could just hold off for an hour, and then reevaluate whether I needed a drink or not it would help me. It worked because my mind moved on to other things.
For some reason, when I quit in April, it was much easier. I had less cravings. I was using the avrt technique which made something click in my brain. My AV is a little louder this time.
The only thing we have to drink in the house is JD, which I can't stand. I'm glad they don't sell alcohol in the stores here, although it used to bug me. I hate bringing my kids into the liqueur store.
I can't remember which person from sr said this, so I apologize for not giving the appropriate credit, but this has helped me a lot: you never wake up wishing you had drank last night (or something like that). Very true for me.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I want to join too! This is day 1 AGAIN and hopefully my last day 1. I drank last night as my 'last hurrah' and want to start now - new month, new start. It's time to take this in hand before it kills me. I am going to try AVRT and if that doesn't work, maybe get up the nerve to go to an AA meeting. Most of all, I'm just going to not pick up a drink!

Looking forward to getting to know you all better, good luck to us!

Anna x
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Count me in for this. The last month has gone over in a complete whirlwind of time. Just before march I had around a month sober and I've sort of slipped and slides since then. I post in the March group too cause I've made some great friends over there but it will help to be around others also early in their sobriety.

I've had some good news today in finishing my undergrad dissertation. It feels like the world has been lifted off my shoulders, it really was getting me down. I've not exactly drank huge amounts at all over the past two months but nevertheless I'd like to cut it out completely.

As I've said I immediately feel better now that that stressful monkey is now completed, I feel I can return to a more normal life. It felt kinda impossible to completely abstain at the same time as having all that piling up (that's what I told myself anyway - BS!) alas... I did it and I'm back to day 2

I look forward to meeting you all

Ben
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Beavis, good to see you too! Wow, didn't realize we had so much in common. Wine is my weakness and the hardest time of day is also from 4pm-8pm! I have also tried to keep wine in the house, for visitors of course, but I end up being the "visitor" drinking it. I am still whining about my last slip up. Would have been 25 days today, etc. blah blah blah. I think the key is to just think about today. Every hour can change for me. One minute I feel strong and determined and the next AV is bugging me to go to the liquor store. Yes, fortunately, they don't sell alcohol in the grocery stores here. I hosted taking my 3 yr old into the liqour stores. She started pointing to the wine bottles and saying "Mommy, are you getting your juice?" Oh boy.....

Anyway, glad we are both back, let's help each other make May our month
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mr. Beagle, glad you finished your dissertation, that is a huge accomplishment!!! I am glad you have joined the May class as well. I started in the October class, but find myself here again. Glad to be here with all of you!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in (again). I will not give up. This will be hard but I think I will try gradually reducing consumption so that I am abstaining by Sunday and then moving forward. Good luck everyone.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Greetings to the Class of May 2013 from the Class of May 2012. One year ago I was in very many of your same shoes. I didn't know if I could make it through a weekend without drinking, much less imagine how I'd be doing one year later. But joining SR and joining the Class of May have proved to be the best moves I've ever made. I hope that becomes the reality for all of you too. It is hard work and it can be uncomfortable, but if you keep pushing through it all, it does get better and you can save your life.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's great to hear from graduates of prior months. I especially enjoy hearing from the 1 year club. It's inspiring.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Very inspiring!Im ready to go to work (bar!)and stay sober.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Been on SR for a while now, but never joined a class. Hoping this is the first month of the rest of my life sober, and need to do something different then I've been doing. Looking forward to interacting with others in a similar situation!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Pinot, you've been here for a little while--you can do this!

This is the first time I'm posting in a "Class" thread as a supporter--I have six months sober today!

I'll be seeing all of you--happy May!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day one again.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Failed in April.. May is my month!

I failed to stay sober in April. I am determined to do it this month. I will do it!