Notices

Class of May 2013

Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My husband and I are thinking of moving out of our area. He is looking for a job where he can use his marketing degree (for the first time). He has been in sales for about 13 years, but never really used his degree. I am a teacher at a low income school. It is a very stressful environment. We are expected to get our students to pass a state test at their grade level. However, thirteen out of my twenty kids are 2 years below grade level. Gerrr… It is so frustrating! My husband wants me to quit and go into sales. He thinks I am selling kids on their education every day.
Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AEasterman View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving out of our area. He is looking for a job where he can use his marketing degree (for the first time). He has been in sales for about 13 years, but never really used his degree. I am a teacher at a low income school. It is a very stressful environment. We are expected to get our students to pass a state test at their grade level. However, thirteen out of my twenty kids are 2 years below grade level. Gerrr… It is so frustrating! My husband wants me to quit and go into sales. He thinks I am selling kids on their education every day.
Thanks for letting me vent!
As an educator, I know how frustrating that is. You need to look at the growth they make in your class. I am sure they have made lots!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hello All, the first of May, and the first day!
Not only must I address my out of control drinking, but I need to nourish myself too. Drinking led to eating fast food, chocolate bars galore.
Today I stocked up on healthy food and had to laugh at myself. I was studiously comparing prices on bottles of juice..."no way, that can't be $6.99!"...so ridiculous when I wouldn't blink at dropping $15-20 on a bottle of wine, even though I'd always go over my monthly budget!

Good luck to us all!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Leshar it is sooo me!I can't buy this juice,it's too expensive ,exactly 6.99 and few hours later easily spent 15-20 at the liqueur store.No matter how hard situation was I always! Found $ to buy %
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Haha! Yes, the crazy "rationalizations" we make when we drink.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

AEasterman- I hear ya. I'm a special education teacher and feeling very burned out. No way will most of my kids pass those tests. At some point they give up and it's exhausting keeping them motivated. I will be teaching fractions until the day I die. Not to be all gloom and doom, but the whole education system is really messed up.
I want out.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I hope so I don’t have tenure in my job situation.. It’s real easy to blame me for all of the issues going on in my teaching world. So my co teacher is newly in love and not doing crap with our kids... That said they are my kids too…
Old 05-01-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Seems we have a lot of teachers here! I'm starting teacher training next year! Finishing up my degree this month before a year or two out to earn some money to fund the PGCE. Planning on teaching history

Off to bed here, night all
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think any day is great day to start. Just have faith. U guys that have a year really encourage us .newcomers. every day gets better folks. That includes day one as well!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hi guys! I joined SR last July while in outpatient rehab and knowing I probably wouldn't be able to "go it alone" after that program. this place is awesome. you will get so much support!

good luck to you all, you can do this!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
TTB

Hi All. I am on day 4. Yeah I know that means I started in April but it was so late in April. I was a wino. 2 bottles a night for the last must be 5 years. Well, not every night but 5-6 and sometimes 7 nights a week. Prior to that I was just a weekend drinker for about 20 years. Maybe a weekend binge drinker is more like it.

So far so good. I get wicked cravings every evening but am just taking it one craving at at time. It's amazing how the demon makes me think.

I am determined not to drink tonight.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi All, Day 4 for me, I had 13 days in April, but gave in, then had a few more days sober but gave that away too, I want to remain sober more than anything else but once the hangover fades so does my commitment to stay sober, I'm taking one day at a time. I'm going to try and keep myself busy, boredom seems to be a trigger along with so many other things lol

Yesterday was a bad day, had so much anxiety, it was awful, but feeling a bit better today and more calm.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I was looking for the Class of May yesterday but couldn't find it. Realise now that it was May in Australia already but still April 30 in the States so it hadn't been created yet .

Joining the Class of May. 4 nights sober now (I say nights because that is my biggest downfall).

Wine is my beast to battle and my "witching hour" isn't actually until about 8pm, that is when I get twitchy.

Getting to night 4 wasn't too hard. But tomorrow is Friday and I know that will be a much harder hill to climb.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Caszee-Fridays were by far the hardest day for me too for a while, I never thought I would get past them. What helped me was to totally change my routine....I would finish work, do my shopping (being very careful to avoid the alcohol aisle!), come home then either hit a meeting or get into my pjs . I would stick on SR, reading and posting. Honestly, this place saved my life. There is always someone here to talk to. Use it. Stay close to us. You can do this!
Happy Thursday everyone x
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, all this talk of kids and learning--we all need to realize that it is never too late to learn...

This video impressed me--it's short. It reminds me of when learning was fun, the look on the kid's faces as they launch the balloon. Also note the famous rubber chicken.

Last week, I reported on a group of high school students in Bishop, CA, who are launching "space weather balloons" to the edge of space to study the effect of solar flares on Earth's ozone layer. This video shows what it looks like when a space weather balloon pops. A camera atop the balloon's payload recorded the explosion at 60 frames per second, allowing the student researchers to create a slow-motion movie of the balloon tearing itself to ribbons. They have made 22 flights to the stratosphere since 2010, so they've seen this happen many times, and the movie highlights some of the best explosions so far. (Tony Phillips, NASA; spaceweather.com)

The Life of a Balloon on Vimeo
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

P.s I'm also a special needs teacher! X
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning May classmates, hope you're all well and sticking with your sobriety! This is my Day 1 again... It's 10.30 am here in Northern Ireland and I'm sitting in bed, hungover, having phoned in sick to work AGAIN, after drinking 2 bottles of wine last night. Ugh. Onwards and upwards. Hope you all are having better success than me!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Morning all, quick post before I write a more detailed one later.

Day 3, feeling pretty good, tired but good
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day one for me. Hope this is a great, sober month for us all.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
Good morning May classmates, hope you're all well and sticking with your sobriety! This is my Day 1 again... It's 10.30 am here in Northern Ireland and I'm sitting in bed, hungover, having phoned in sick to work AGAIN, after drinking 2 bottles of wine last night. Ugh. Onwards and upwards. Hope you all are having better success than me!
Day one for me too Bombshell, onwards and upwards for us both!