Notices

Class of May 2013

Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi all, on the matter of what beverages ppl now drink, I did a search but couldn't find anything. Anyone know what key words i should use, or could anyone direct me to a thread? I'm struggling with finding a substitute, ginger ale at the moment. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi Leshar, I have found that sparkling water, seltzer, or club soda with a wedge of lemon or lime is refreshing. Zero calories and not as boring as water. I sometimes throw a splash of cranberry juice in there as well.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I'm a fan of unsweetened tea, hot chocolate, coffee, and all that Ladybug said! My favorite "going out" drink is the Shirley Temple, although I usually get some funny looks when ordering it... Oh, and I love ginger ale! Good choice Leshar!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Hi all, on the matter of what beverages ppl now drink, I did a search but couldn't find anything. Anyone know what key words i should use, or could anyone direct me to a thread? I'm struggling with finding a substitute, ginger ale at the moment. Thanks.
Hi, Leshar. Here's a few threads that could be of help to you.

As for me, in my early sobriety I liked pomegranate juice mixed with sparkling water. I also make cubes of ice with some berries frozen inside and put this cubes into water. Quite a fun).

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lic-drink.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lic-drink.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...mpetition.html

Best wishes to all the May Sobers)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
TTB

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hi Leshar, I have found that sparkling water, seltzer, or club soda with a wedge of lemon or lime is refreshing. Zero calories and not as boring as water. I sometimes throw a splash of cranberry juice in there as well.
I had my first "test" this week. I was on a business trip and we all went out to dinner to an awesome Italian restaurant in the North End of Boston. Well, the wine was flowing but I just stuck with my club soda with lime. In the past I was the one always ordering "more wine"...funny story though...at the end of the meal the waiter places a lemoncello in front of everyone...even me..BUT mine looked a little different. Just as I said "I wonder what this is?" the waiter whispers in my ear..."it's lemonade." I could have hugged the guy!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'd like to join the may club. I was 7 days sober and drank last night. Not as much as my old usual and threw the rest out this morning, but still. Is it bad to think that 2 nights of drink in the last 12 is better than 12 out of 12? ( I have been drinking myself to sleep for 20 years.). I would love to be entirely af, but this sort of seems like progress.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
My favorite "going out" drink is the Shirley Temple, although I usually get some funny looks when ordering it... Oh, and I love ginger ale!
Oh my, I had COMPLETELY forgotten how much I used to love those!!!! I am absolutely ordering one next time we go out for dinner!!!

I drink a lot of tea, but I always have.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Many thanks, MidnightBlue for posting this information!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

SPRING CLEANSE ~ YOUR BODY ~ Yes, another post about water

Here are 8 home made vitamin water recipes to help you keep the water flowing!

1) The classical : lemon/cucumber:
Mix in a pitcher: 10 cups of water + 1 cucumber and a lemon, thinly sliced + 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped basil leaf + 1/3 of finely chopped fresh mint leaves. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

2) The granite : Strawberry/Lime or Raspberry/Lime
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 6 strawberries / 0r Raspberries and one thinly sliced lime + 12 finely chopped fresh mint leaves. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

3) The digestive : Fennel/citrus
First: infuse 1 to 3 grams of dried and crushed fennel in 150 ml of boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool.
Mix in a pitcher: 10 cups of water + lemon juice (put the leftover lemon in the mix) + a small thinly sliced orange + 12 fresh chopped mint leaves + the infusion of fennel seeds. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

4) The antiOX : Blackberry/Sage
Note that a part from the berries, sage leafs is the herb that has the highest antioxidant content.
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of blackberries that have been very slightly crushed + 3-4 sage leaves. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

5) WATERmelon : watermelon/Rosemary
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of watermelon cut into cubes + 2 rosemary stems. Leave in refrigerator overnight before serving.

6) The exotic : Pineapple/Mint
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of pineapple cut into cubes + 12 fresh mint leaves finely chopped. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

7) The traditional : Apple/cinnamon
Mix in a pitcher : 10 cups of water + 1 cup of apple cut into cubes + 2 cinnamon sticks + 2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Leave in the refrigerator overnight before serving.

8.) The zingibir : Ginger/tea
In advance: heat 1 teaspoon of ginger in two cups of tea, let it cool down.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks, Kasiaa, that information is amazing!!

Makes me want to try them all, and I have always really disliked water!
How do you "bookmark" a post for later reference on the site?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Giant Eagle has a line of sparkling water called fruition that has peach, but I find that all of the flavors are delicious. Their seltzer water, not so much.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I went to a brunch and meeting this morning after only 3 hours or so of sleep. my sponsor picked me up and she got a good laugh about me going to a meeting while i kept nodding off in her car. i was so tired when i got there that i fell asleep at my table before grabbing any food and by the time i pulled my head up there was almost nothing left! i dozed a little bit through the speakers but i still enjoyed myself. after i got home i chilled for a bit then had a friend pick me up for a 3PM meeting she asked me to attend with her. she's acting strange and i found out that she's had a couple of lorazepam today. i didn't find this out until i was already in the car with her. we were staying on surface roads so all i did was buckle up and hold onto my ass. we're getting together again for a 7PM meeting and she said she'd pick me up but i'm going to hoof it to the meeting. i can't take driving with someone under the influence. i know driving under the influence of something besides alcohol has gotten me in trouble so i don't want to be a passenger.

she was pretty disruptive during the meeting and was acting really strange. that's why i asked her if she'd drunk today. i dunno...i think she's trying to fool me into acting like taking a strong sedative and driving is okay because she "knows what it does to my (her) body." i gotta put my foot down somewhere. i love her a lot but this is more than i can handle.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

How do you "bookmark" a post for later reference on the site?
I usually click the 'permalink' link - that gives me the url for the post, then bookmark that in my browser.

As far as I know we don't have the facility built in to SR.

D
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you think your friend is outa control then I really encourage you to set up boundaries and even keep your distance DG.

you need to focus on you right now

D
Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone! I would like to be in the Class of May 2013, too! I love this site already! I'm so tired of not waking up clear-headed. And I'm even more tired of waking up hating myself for drinking so much the night before. I quit for ten years back in 1996 and have been drinking again for about seven years. Stupid, stupid, stupid for ever picking up a drink after ten wonderful years of sobriety!!! I've wanted to quit for a long time now, but I haven't even tried. My job makes it practically impossible to attend AA meetings, so I'm going to do this time with online support and information. I already know that the way I'm thinking about quitting alcohol has a HUGE impact on my success. If I look at quitting alcohol as "giving up" something I enjoy, as "sacrificing" something good, or "doing without" something I love...well, I'm doomed from the get-go. The key is to start seeing quitting alcohol as GAINING something; better health, self-respect, healthier relationships, not to mention gaining all that money I've been spending on booze! That's the thinking I used to quit smoking. Now I just have to convince myself that the same thinking will work for my alcoholism. Isn't anyone else out there torn about quitting, even though alcohol has done nothing good for them??? I need to flip my thinking!!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sky5333 View Post
Hi, everyone! I would like to be in the Class of May 2013, too! I love this site already! I'm so tired of not waking up clear-headed. And I'm even more tired of waking up hating myself for drinking so much the night before. I quit for ten years back in 1996 and have been drinking again for about seven years. Stupid, stupid, stupid for ever picking up a drink after ten wonderful years of sobriety!!! I've wanted to quit for a long time now, but I haven't even tried. My job makes it practically impossible to attend AA meetings, so I'm going to do this time with online support and information. I already know that the way I'm thinking about quitting alcohol has a HUGE impact on my success. If I look at quitting alcohol as "giving up" something I enjoy, as "sacrificing" something good, or "doing without" something I love...well, I'm doomed from the get-go. The key is to start seeing quitting alcohol as GAINING something; better health, self-respect, healthier relationships, not to mention gaining all that money I've been spending on booze! That's the thinking I used to quit smoking. Now I just have to convince myself that the same thinking will work for my alcoholism. Isn't anyone else out there torn about quitting, even though alcohol has done nothing good for them??? I need to flip my thinking!!
I feel the same way..I feel like its giving up something I "enjoy" but do I enjoy the glassy eyes in the morning? Probably don't mind the eyesso I can enjoy myself the night before. Sorry just being honest on day one
Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sky and My Li
MyLi you must have your reasons for quitting tho or you wouldn't be here?

D
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I will try. It's a long month
Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thank u Dee74. Because while I still get up for work. Parent etc, I can see its getting out of control. And would like to stop before I end up like half my family. My husband is annoyed at me about drinking but only when I get "too drunk". He doesn't mind if I share two bots with him on a weeknight. It confuses me. I am NOT blaming him. Just confused and sad
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Kasiaa. I second Leshar, thanks so much for posting that list......had no idea the old H2O had so much potential.