Notices

Write your letter starting with: Dear Alcohol: ____________

Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Dear alcohol ,
You lead to to believe how much I needed you. Told me you would make me the life of the party. After my 3or 4 glasses of wine, I was the life of the party, the one everyone talked about later! My life is so much better without you. You are never welcome in my home again...oceanlady
Old 10-26-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol.

After all these years I'm grateful that I still DON'T MISS YOU!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol,

Life with you wasn't living. It was stagnation. It was like a waking death.

Life without you is free, exhilarating, happy, sad, scary, frustrating, exciting, challenging, strengthening, new, vital, dynamic and always changing.

Ever since you're gone, there's so much room in my life to grow now.

You're a parasite. But you're not one to me, any more.

EQ.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol,
I remember when I first let you into my life. I was 12 years old. I am now 42. We battled for years. Back and forth. Again and agian. Your presense in my life made my mind loud with conflict and turmoil. Even when I was winning, I was thinking about you, planning, anticipating. When I was losing, the shame, guilt, and physical torment was overwhelming. Loud mind. Shouting mind. Conflict. Clashing. Thunderous. Never at peace. I write this letter to tell you that I have let go. I am done fighting you. I am stopping the war. I don't want to fight you any more. There is another power guiding me now, taking me in a new direction, guiding me to peace, showing me goodness and possibility. Goodby alcohol. We fight no more.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol-

You used to be my best friend. You were always there for me when I needed you and you always put me first. I didn't mind at first that you fully occupied my mind and caused delusions in my thinking because you were always there for me.

Eventually you started taking advantage of me. You convinced me that you were all I had to live for. That you were the one thing in my life I could control. I waited outside the grocery store for you at 7:00, waiting for the store to open so I could have you. All you did in return was deceive me. You cost me relationships, my self respect, my job, and my freedom. You turned on me and made me believe that the more destructive my life became, the more I needed you as a friend. You invaded me and turned me into a different person, a self centered, controlling, self destructive person that wanted nothing more than to ruin my life and the lives of those around me. You encouraged me to spread my pain to others and to create as much chaos and misery as possible. I lived in a bubble, completely unaware of what was going on around me. I couldn't focus on people because I was focused on you.

Now I'm more aware of what you are capable of. I have seen what you have done to lives, families, and relationships. You are the most evil, manipulative "best friend" anyone could have in their life. I'm glad you are out of mine.

Now I have a chance with you gone to be happy. I will accomplish things that I could never accomplish with you in my life. You sucked all of my energy before and now I have it back. I would do anything to remove you from this planet so you do not have the opportunity to slink your way into another unassuming and vulnerable life.

Good riddance and be kind to others. I wouldn't wish what I went through with you on anyone.

Inca
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

It's that time again! Write your good bye letter to your toxic friend!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol,

You snuck into my life and had a good time with me. You left me nothing and gave me lots I didn't need. I forgave you over and over. You played with my emotions. You almost left me for dead. I know you intimately.

I have had time to think about your true intentions.

Forgive me, hit the road before I break your neck.

Love, Life
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Dear alcohol,

You are evil and conniving. You have tried to rule my life for long enough.
Guess what? I found out I don't need you! I thought I did, but here I am, getting along just fine without you. Nah-nah-nah-boo-boooo.

Goodbye and good riddance, sucker.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Dear Alcohol,

How have I messed up my life using you, let me count the ways.

Shame and self loathing, abuse and neglect, poor health and hygiene, lying and bad friends, missing work and school, dysfunctional marriage.

Not to mention losing other family members to your clutches. 2 of them died, and that's just in my lifetime. Others before us have also died so we never knew them.

You are an addictive drug, not a glamorous social tool. You don't help people relax, you make them black out. You don't cure stress, you create it. You take away morals and self respect.

You lie and create an evil illusion to draw us in, but it's all false on the other side. Thank God I found my way back. I hate you and if I see you in my home will dump you into the toilet where you belong.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol,

There is so much to say to you that I'll only start with one thing at a time. You really started to take over my life in September. When the kids got home from school, for the first time ever, I'd lie in my bed, unable to do much after a day of drinking on my off days. I'd wait for dh to come in the door and then you'd tell me it was ok to lie to him. I'd tell him I'd had insomnia all night and just needed a quick nap. He would take the kids and I'd be alone with you. I'd greedily gulp you down-a shot, or maybe three, have a nap, wake up feeling slightly rejuvenated and then take another shot of you to come out of my room and face all the family. At that time, I would be in a haze and counting down the minutes until I could stumble my way, drunkenly, through any family time waiting for the minute until you and I could go full hog.

How could you trick me into thinking this was any way to live? I can only thank my Higher Power that the absolute worst of this only went on for three months. You did have a grip on me for a number of years, so I can't say I wasn't a diminished presence in the house for the last two.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Dear alcohol,

You caused me a lot of trouble before the first time I excluded you from my life. I was an
Ble to stay clear of you for over 12 years, but you fooled me into thinking we could be friends once again. You promised that I would be more fun, would feel younger, and that we could just hang out once in a while.

Two years back into our friendship and I have surpassed my old drinking patterns. The only thing that has kept me somewhat in check is the secrecy of my drinking from my partner. I am lucky that I haven't experienced blackouts or have got more DUIs.

Despite the fact that I feel as if I've lost my best friend, you are no longer welcome in my. Life. You tricked me and could have cost me my life and everything that is important to me. I will grieve my loss a little longer but will forget that we ever hung out together and will move on. Find some other sucker to manipulate.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Dear alcohol,

It turns out, after much research, that any benefits I ever perceived you giving me is a total lie. The truth is that you give me nothing but devastation. No, you don't improve my self-confidence, you don't relieve any of my stress, you don't provide any health benefits, you don't make me funnier or more attractive, and there are really no examples of times where I have thought "Boy, am I glad I drank last night".

Picture it this way. Imagine if you could take a pill that really would provide these benefits, and so many more to top it off. If you take this pill, then you will be more confident, more sure of yourself, less stressed, less anxious, more intelligent, better looking, more positive, and much more level-minded. Imagine if this pill was free. We'd be stupid not to take it, right? Well, imagine this pill isn't a pill at all. All we have to do is stop drinking. All we have to do is stop ingesting poison into our bodies - seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?

So goodbye alcohol. It started off alright, but that was many years ago and the devastation you've brought me over the years will never be forgotten. I know it's in your nature to take everything and give nothing, and that you need these high powered marketing campaigns and generations of "power in numbers" to trick people into thinking we need you, but I'm onto you now. And this is something I can't un-learn.

We're done!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol,

Sorry, dude, but I've just outgrown you.

Now you're just somebody that I used to know.

Peace,

B
Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Good job! These letters are so awesome I love reading them! It really is like saying goodbye to an old toxic boyfriend/girlfriend isn't it?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sure is LadyinBC ;-) xx
Old 01-14-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol,
Time after time you stalk me like a predator ready to ambush me with total disregard of my feelings, In October 2013 you made me look like a stumbling blabbering Idiot in front of my Parents my Brothers and the rest of the family.

Mr. Alcohol you have taken so many friends from me even my Daughters, I cry like a baby, Pee & Vomit only to be locked up in the local Police watch house. I always tell the Police and others that the Grog Monster caught up with me, "Please Please Don't Blame Me". Every-time I have trouble with the law you abandon me and it is always your fault.

I'm tired of waking up and listening to the appalling stories of my Drunkeness from the previous nights or day's. I'm made to feel worthless I'm made to feel shameful.

I'm Glad to Say that I'm putting you away, your not welcome here no more "HEY"
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Dear Alcohol,

Thank you for dragging my life into the mud
so that without you,
Now I can FLY.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

What a great thread!

Dear Alcohol:

I love you. And I hate you. You come in so many fun flavors and packagings (and some not so fun), that you have something to offer everyone. Your charm is universal, and you make yourself available to everyone, rich or poor - how open-minded of you not to discriminate. Your promises of fun and laughter and good times always got me to come to you. You appear to be glamorous - want to celebrate? Have some champagne! You appear hip and cool - try blueberry beer or chili beer or coffee beer made by cool people for cool people in a special place where you can come and taste all you want. You are sophisticated and worldly - pairing your wine varietals with grand cuisine. You are successful - an entire industry and many sub-industries revolve around you. Who wouldn't want to be your friend?

We had lots of fun together, really. You helped me feel more comfortable at parties, and the more I drank, the funnier I got (or at least I thought so!). You provided release when I'd come home from a stressful day at work. You'd take the edge off if I had a touch of nerves before a performance.

But lately, I couldn't tolerate you as much as before, waking up in the middle of the night with a stomach ache and promises not to do it again. But there you were - ready for me to pick you up while listening to music and cooking dinner - the picture of . . . . what, really?

You killed my MIL. You created in her such a need for you that she neglected her children. You are after my father, and have been for a while it seems. Your hold on him is strong, but I continue to pray that he'll see you for what you are and will let you go.

Your hold on me is gone. I can only describe it as divine intervention - the day after Christmas I woke up and didn't want you anymore. Done. Over. That's it. You're out. You're actually still lingering in my fridge, in my cabinet. But I can look you over and not want you. DH is welcome to you if he wants, but I think he no longer finds you interesting, either. I wondered how various events would be without you - dinner parties, NYE, family vacations. I didn't miss you. Not one bit. My friends and family can hang with you and I can be in their company and do without you. I am better without you in all ways.

I'm sure I'll miss you. You were part of my life for 25 years. You didn't torture me as you have so many others. But I don't need you anymore. I'm done.

I hope and wish and pray that my father can see you for what you are and that he finds the strength to be rid of you as well. In the meantime, I will not be fooled.

I'll raise my bubbly water glass and offer you this toast that I always liked:

Here's to you and here's to me and if perhaps we disagree, f&!* you and here's to me!

Auntie
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Timelord

Dear Alcohol,

We had good times, some of the best. Now please royally pi$$ off.

Banquo
Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Dear alcohol:

Thanks for the splitting headache, nausea, bloating, insomnia, anxiety, guilt, shame, self-loathing, etc. (the list goes on and on...) several times a week these past few years. I also really appreciate the crappy, blotchy skin and those extra 15 pounds you so generously donated to me. I really enjoyed not remembering what the hell I did or said the night before, and had a great time searching my call log and text messages to either find out what I REALLY didn't want to know, or breathe a heavy sigh of sweet relief when I appeared to have "behaved" myself. At least my nonsensical drunken babbling wasn't burned into my phone's memory.

Don't get me wrong- we had a lot of fun together. But I have to say, I'm over it and it's time for me to move on.

Don't call me.

Worst of all possible wishes,
Moi