Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Keep posting. We are here for you x
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How did you get help? If I may ask
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well we are all different. For me, I didn't need rehab. My drinking was mainly done in isolation in the end and I became physically ill rather than ending up in trouble with anyone else.
I phoned AA. I went to a meeting. I posted and read almost continuously on here. I'm coming up 3 months sober now. My life is opening up and I've truly accepted that I'm an alcoholic. I reached out for any help I could get because I was scared and desperate as you are. It really does get better xx
Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Gilbert...Take a look at this book...Start with the Doctor's Opinion....and the first seven chapters cover the 12 steps...See if you see yourself in there.....Get a copy of it if you can....I'll tell you one thing I know about AA...You get out of it...What you put into it....I'd start with upping from one meeting a week to one meeting a day for awhile...Good luck to you....Sorry about you getting arrested...At least you didn't kill anybody...including yourself...Glad you found the site...Continue to read and post.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm back from talking to people about getting started with getting help it was cool but I never realized that it cost a lot of money with no insurance. But it's what I need to do. I slept for more then a few hours last night before I did I prayed and I hadn't done that in a while. I don't want to ruin my life anymore...
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I wanted so many things out of life when I was younger and I got in a rut that I did not know how to get out of I was sad and alone I felt like a outsider so I would drink at first it was a daily thing and then I thought I could stop so I would not have a drink in a week and when I did I would just keep drinking until the next afternoon. I started using drugs so I can stay up and keep drinking looking at that and after the arrest I knew that I needed help so I am trying so hard to get help and get my life together.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am happy to be getting the I need
Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Everyone here has been so nice and I like to say thanks. It makes it easier for to know I am not alone.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am feeling better as the day goes on.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I ate a nice meal today I hadn't eatten in three days or so.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I also slept more then two hours last night.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am trying to take it one day at a time and one breath at a time
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Gilbert...Those meetings are free...You can be around people that have been where you are that are willing to help you...It wouldn't hurt you at all to go to a few....At least check it out.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Gilbert! You will keep feeling better and better - stick with it. Take care and best wishes.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I went to 90 meetings my first 90 days. It was a life saver for me. I still go to meetings almost every single day. The meetings are what help keep me sober. I have been doing that for 8 months, and I am now 8 months sober. I had decided that enough was enough. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. It was what worked for me, and that works for a lot of others too. I didn't have to pay a dime for my treatment. It was all free in the doors of AA. I choose to donate a dollar most of the time, so if I donate one dollar a day, then all it costs me to get treatment is 365 dollars a day for a year. That is some cheap treatment!!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
I'm new to this and I'm looking for help. I want to get clean and sober but I need help.
Hello, I am new also and need help. I want to be clean and sober. I am addicted to Oxycodone. What about you?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
I can't believe that it took me getting arrested for me to finally ask for help.
I had to get arrested 4x......and even then I was sure I could fix myself and certainly didn't need help! lol

If it wasn't for a judge forcing me to go to AA, I'd probably still be at the old game.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome gilbert (you too, penny!)

I'm glad you're getting help and reaching out here. It makes a difference when you know other people have been through the same things and understand what it's like. Like you said, it's one day and one breath at a time. It really will get better as you go.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Today is day 5 of me staying sober. I feel good about me staying sober. That is very important to me. I also called to see where the AA meetings will be held and for what time and the one that's here in my town is everyday at 8 p.m. so I wont be able to attend until next week. Which is what I have to do. I also called a number where I could get some counseling for my drinking and drug abuse they told me the first meet would be $85.00 and then it would $65.00 and I would meet with the counselor once a month. Since I don't have money until next month that will have to wait. Which is a bummer but it's what I have to do. I know in my heart I'm going to change I'm starting the path to were I should have been at years ago. The only thing that troubles me is that I do not want to go to Jail that's troubles me because in the past when I had troubles I would turn to the thing that put me in this position. I want to change I want to stay sober for the rest of my life. I don't want to be the same guy.