Notices

Looking for help

Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Zee

Stick around here gilbert, I find this forum the best place to keep me sober. You will get stacks of support here. Keep reading and posting
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to have you with us, gilbert. Not being alone anymore was so important to me. Everyone here understood what I was going through. I was like you - needed a wake up call to stop the rollercoaster ride. I had been playing with it for many years, living my life in a fog and numb most of the time. It's wonderful to be awake and clearheaded.

You can do this, gilbert. You can still make some of those long ago dreams come true. Congratulations on taking control of your life and your future.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on day 5 Gilbert
Welcome to SR!

D
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm glad for all you people on here your advice.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
~sb

AA Central Office of El Paso

it's free. you don't have to put any money in the basket, just pass it on....

I wish you well!

Hugs & love,
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the support you guys give me. I'm happy because if it wasn't for what had happened to me I never would have found the strength to get my life back I don't feel low I feel like I'm starting a new life... My life... I'm seeing myself in the mirror and I see the old me and I am 6 days sober and counting for the rest of my life and I'm not looking back. I'm so glad for this site and for each and everyone of you if it wasn't for your support I don't know where I'd be...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Gilbert, my son has gone through many various rehabs, both in-patient and outpatient. Most all rehab and drug and alcohol therapy groups are based on the same 12-steps that AA and NA are built on. Some may be fancier, and include some other therapy with it, but they are using the same exact steps as any AA group.

And, as mentioned above, AA and NA is free. If money is an issue and you don't have insurance but like the idea of group support then AA or NA is a great place to start. You might inquire too, about other meetings in your town. There are often several groups even in small towns, meeting at various places, so you might be able to look around and find one with a more convenient time for you.

Hang in there!! With 5 days already you are doing great!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm sober for a week. I am feeling great about the future now I just need to get past my arrest and get my life back on track. I wont lie and say I haven't thought about having one more night of drinking but I don't want that I want to stay sober and stay clean I want this for the rest of my life...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

The first week was the toughest for me. Brilliant that you got through it x
Being sober is the best gift you can give yourself x
Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi Gilbert,
Good job on the week. I would be surprised if you didn't feel like a drink. It may be difficult at the beginning but not impossible remember that.
I am 14 months sober with the help of AA and SR. It was not easy but I am so glad I am sober today. The rewards are great.
If you really want this you can do it.

love
CaiHong
Old 08-25-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Gilbert,

congrats on seeking a sober life. I know you can do it.

I don't know the laws where you are but you are very unlikely to do jail time on a first offence DUI unless someone was injured. Can you tell us more details?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gilbert. And Penny, too!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

No one was hurt by the way. Also I do think about having one more drink and I think to myself just one more time and then stop but I don't because I trying so hard to stay sober and clean I want a life where I am clean and sober. I thank God that I found this site everyone on here gives me the strength and support I need to get my life back. I want this so bad I don't want to do the things I was doing I want my life back and in my heart I know I'm getting my life. The first week was filled with it's up's and down's I was feeling scared and alone scared for the unknown of staying sober and fighting to stay sober in the face of what happened. I messed up I know I did it is not about getting caught I messed up because I was afraid to ask for help I was afraid that I wouldn't be accepted by my family and that I was no one. That's what has haunted me all these years I was drinking and wanted to stop. I feel scared that I face jail time I don't think I deserve to go to jail. I made a mistake I pray now and I have God in my life and my family supporting me and friends. I know now that my life has changed for the better. I am thankful for all of you and your kind words and wisdom and I draw strength from you guys. You guys are my support team I am now going on week two of staying sober.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I am now 10 days sober today was a bit rough for me I found I snap at my mother over something so little and I felt bad inside I apologized to her. But I felt bad and then at work I was invited out for drinks and I told the girl that I'm not drinking and she said ti'll be fun and I had to explain to her that I'm not drinking anymore and why and she understood. I felt like a outsider I felt alone. It was lonely and then I was thought about snapping at my mom and I felt really bad and awful. I don't want to be moody I normally claim but today was different. I want my life back. I feel like I have stumbled and fallen in the past but this time it's different because I've made a choice that this time I will stay sober. But I can honestly say that tonight I feel a bit lonely I feel on my own... Sorry just my thoughts Day 10 has came and went now on to day 11...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

That's pretty normal for 10 days gilbert....I wasn't pleasant to be around at times my first few months....My emotions were up and down so to speak....And I did my share of saying I'm sorry. This will even out with time. As far as declining drinking invitations goes....I had to do the same....I don't know what your feelings on AA are....But I found going to meetings and meeting other people doing what I was doing...That understood...Was a great way of taking care of the the lonliness aspect of getting sober...My last few years of drinking I isolated....I'd had enough of that....Meeting new likeminded people and making sober friends has been exactly what I needed. Conrats on 10 days...Those are tough days....Hang on to them...You don't have to do them again...Things get better everyday.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I am sober now for 11 days and counting I'm excited about it yay!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Today I washed my car, cleaned out my desk, I washed my clothes and afterwards I thought about having a beer I thought about it and I did not drink but I felt a bit strange because I was thinking to myself "is this normal to want a drink after a hard days work" then I decided not to have the drink. I want to be sober and clean from everything I want to be able to live a sober and clean life. Even though I'm sober now for about 12 days and going on 13 I want to stay on this path and not look back. I've made mistakes and I want to make things right so my journey started 12 days ago and I will do everything I can to not go backwards.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

your doing great gilbert!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Today I am over two weeks sober and I'm happy about it I also feel alone in a way not because of what I am going through but I heard a song on the radio at work and I was reminded of a ex-girlfriend whom I was madly in love with someone that I lost because of my drinking and I felt alone. I felt because last time I talked with her she was going through some rough times and I wanted to be there for her but she did not trust me anymore because of the drinking. It sucks thinking that I choose to drink and keep it going for such a long time. I sat at work wishing that she was okay I took comfort in knowing she would find someone that is worthy of her. At last I felt alone not because I wanted her back but because I missed the idea of having someone to come home to and talk to, someone that would not judge me for the things I have done in the past but believe that I will be a good man, that I am a good man. It's funny I sat working thinking this I then realized that I can be a better man then I was that I can be someone that is not a drunk or a drug user. I hold on hope that I will stay sober. In time I will find my love but only after I get my life togther
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

absolutely Gilbert...first things first - you build a house from the foundations up

D