Notices

Newcomer to Recovery

Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Wow, you sound great for a newly sober person. A lot of insight.

I'm 14 years sober, and I will tell you, that fear and shiver of what alcohol did to me and how sick I was still has not left me. And I hope it never does. I NEVER want to feel that way again. Not just the physical sickness(which was pretty bad) but my soul felt like the light was almost out on it.

Stick with it. I cannot tell you how amazing life gets.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I can't tell you how much your encouragement means. The knowledge that things will get better is sustenance to my soul at this stage. Thank you
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Nice!

So glad to see your determination for sobriety, Jack! Thanks for checking in with us.

Here is a link to a song I think you will enjoy.... Its called "One Day At A Time" by Joe Walsh and it is my anthem for sobriety. ENJOY!

ONE DAY AT A TIME by JOE WALSH - YouTube
Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Got the song playing now Hope! It's a literal description really isn't it? Great song, very inspirational.
Today being Friday is my most challenging day. It helps to have great music to turn to. Tomorrow, I've lived one day at a time 21 times over
Really turned my day around. Thanks, man.
I'll update again tomorrow. I hope you're all well and making the most of every day

Jack
Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on the upcoming 21 days Jack

D
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job, Jack. So proud of you.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Jack, you're are doing great, well done. You sound like an intelligent person with a good grasp on the detrimental effect alcohol has on you.

I am 28 year old male and from the UK too. I am just over three months sober. It hasn't been an easy journey so far, my life has had to completely change in order to give me the best shot at achieving sobriety. Society deems me a little odd now that I don't get wasted every Friday & Saturday night. But life without alcohol keeps getting better & better, my only regret is not getting sober sooner.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

That is encouraging to hear, it gives me hope. Thank you. Congratulations on three months, You are doing amazingly well! I will not turn back to my previous life, it is behind me now and I am happy for that reason, knowing that I am taking steps to become a better man than the one I was yesterday, last week, three weeks ago, last year and preceeding.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

How are you Jack?

Its been 7 days since your last post, I'm hoping all is well.

Check in with your SR family....

Happy Friday!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi guys! I didn't realise it had been that long since my last post!

One month under my belt
I have been keeping myself as busy as I can. It's becoming easier to live my life this way and the effort is paying off. I am much happier now and I think with a much clearer head. I still have bad days, but everyone does. The latest was when I thought about the fact that I haven't seen ny of my friends since I took my vow to stop drinking. I t was very upsetting, but then my partner came round to see me and the night turned around. I simply realised that I would make new friends that don't want to waste their weekends down the boozer.

I hope everyone is well and that your journeys are going fantastic. I will post again very soon.

Jack
Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to hear the good news, Jack. Keep it going!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Thanks for the update, Jack and congratulations on 1 month sober!

I hope the work on your comic book is progressing and I am glad to hear that you are spending time with your girl.

Did you pick up that motorized skateboard yet?

Take Care.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Yeah I did, it is a lot of fun whenever I feel bore or trapped or anything like that, I just take it out for a spin. It's a great feeling.
I'm getting back to the work on the comic gradually. All that has happened has shifted my view on things and I look at it in a different way now. So I'm taking it slow right now and not ovverwhelming myself with the work so I can focus on wht is important right now.
I hope everyone is well today. Looking forward to your responses!
Jack
Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi there!!! Happy to meet you
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I hope you have a helmet

It's good to hear you are enjoying your new toy but please be careful.

I have crashed on everything imaginable, from my Tonka Truck ( it was BIG!)
to Tricycles, Skates and Skateboards, Bicycles, Motorcycles and Cars. I have destroyed 7 Cycling helmets over the years and would NEVER ride w/o one.

Have FUN but be safe.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Don't worry I am collecting the safety gear available from shin pads to body armor! I've already fallen off the thing and had a bruise the size of australia on my backside!

Did anyone else here decide to give up smoking as well when they vowed against drinking? It just seemed foolish to me, carrying on with cancer sticks after wrestling with the beast. I've found that I'm more encouraged, and strong enough to tackle the smoking habbit now that I am capable of tackling the booze everyday - applying the 'one day at a time' thought to other things in life. It shows you how obriety change your whole life, gives you strength over things you have the power to change.

Hope everyone is well
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Jack, I have loved reading this thread, taken me all morning mind

I'm starting out on day 2 sober today but it's been two months off the fags just wanted to say good luck giving up smoking.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Thank you - I'm open to any tips you have!

I hope everyone is good today? The days are getting better for me. I actually wake up with a smile everyday - including mondays, which is weird when you realise you're doing it. But a very rewarding path.

Living life one day at a time isn't just about battling alcohol in manageable stages, is about making the most of every single day. Enjoying it, being proud of it, creating a memory of it. Today will never come again and I'll be able to remember that it was good. I want every day to be like that.

It reinforces my belief that this was the best decision I've ever made. I don't walk in the dark anymore - I provide my own light in my life, I realise that I can be whatever I want to be - as long as I maintain the inner strength to push forward and face everyday with a conquering eye.

It beats hitting the floor because the sky was out of reach. I've got no bottles weighing down my arms anymore, and now the sky doesn't seem so far away.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi again everyone... today has been quite a doddle. As I said, I'm getting myself off cigarettes, but obviously the cravings are driving me to the feeling of wanting to pull my own face off.

BUT, the good thing about that is that it takes my thoughts away from drink and temptation. Better to slip up and have one cigarette than slip up and do something awful.

I see this as a sign that alcohol no longer has the relevance in my life that it did before, that I'm training myself to unconciously avoid it as well as openly. I'm not there yet, but I will be someday. Today though, I'm praising myself for that.
The negative side comes from the overactive brain trying to pile on things to do, trying to push the cravings out. I'm taking on so many thoughts at one time that it's stressing me out to the limit. I don't really have any techniques for relaxation, I spend so much time thinking and doing things that I'm just grateful for five minutes of doing nothing. But that's not relly relaxing, it doesn't calm me down and doesn't slow my thought process down at all. Does anyone have any techniques for windin down that they can share?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

when I need to calm my head, I will either play a computer game that requires little attention or put something mindless on the TV. Usually a good book can help me relax too, unless my mind is in overdrive and I cannot focus.
Try a computer game. Or you can always try to meditate, but I find that hard when the mind is racing.