Notices

Vanilla Extract - I'm a total failure!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well, I did it. I called my doctor. I can't get in until next Thursday. Really???! Next Thursday. Urrggh
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Melber,

if you start to feel really bad, get to the ER. Alcohol detox can be very tricky. you mind ask your doctor to call in a few meds until you can get in to him/her. and don't drink if you get meds.

We are here for you!

Love from Lenina
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm a real alcoholic and I work in the emergency services field. I just wanted to share with you what I saw yesterday on my shift. A 49 year old man bled out through his rectum after being locked up in a motel room for days drinking. And a 40 year old male who had a seizure trying to detox on his own. I don't share this to scare you because alcoholics don't scare easily. We drink no matter what. Just want to shed light on what the consequences may be for you and me if we continue to drink. Please seek medical attention.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AB1111 View Post
I'm a real alcoholic and I work in the emergency services field. I just wanted to share with you what I saw yesterday on my shift. A 49 year old man bled out through his rectum after being locked up in a motel room for days drinking. And a 40 year old male who had a seizure trying to detox on his own. I don't share this to scare you because alcoholics don't scare easily. We drink no matter what. Just want to shed light on what the consequences may be for you and me if we continue to drink. Please seek medical attention.
Ok, that is seriously disgusting. Hope both guys are ok. Thanks for sharing. It is definitely something to think about. Boy, Alcohol surely takes a strong toll on the body doesn't it?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Originally Posted by melberholtz View Post
Well, I did it. I called my doctor. I can't get in until next Thursday. Really???! Next Thursday. Urrggh
let us know what happens, OK?

Hugs
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

That is so great that you are going to the doctor, sorry you have to wait so long, but at least you are going.

You probably shouldn't go cold turkey till then, but maybe call and ask the doc or nurse about that. Or head to the ER if you have withdrawal symptoms.

And...Please do not stop posting. We are here for you, and posting and reading are going to help you. Trust me, SR has helped me more then I ever would have thought possible. You are amongst friends who understand and care about you. You are not alone in this.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Perhaps you could check with your dr. each day for a canceled appointment that would get you in sooner??? Frustrating to be sure, to be ready and then.......have to wait
Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi melber
I'm not sure where you live (country) but there must be somewhere you can go to help you through detox. From the amount you say you were drinking, you are going to need some help I think. Any helplines you can call?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

The 49 year old lost his life. Glad you are seeing a doctor soon and reaching out. Stay.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

so sad to lose another life to alcohol and addiction. this is what we face, friends. this is what we are fighting against. this is why we are here. without the support we get here and from other places we could be that 49 year old. i am so grateful for SR and i am so thankful that each an every one of you are here. stay sober, everyone and remember that you are loved and needed.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yes indeed, I have 3 funerals to attend this week. Two long timers and a 32 year old, that went back out and starting drinking again just to overdose on heroin.

Start now, we only have today.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

geeze, Inda. that's (please pardon the unintentional pun) sobering.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Inda, Very sorry about your friends I hope the OP gets in to see a doctor SOON. I've learned so much from SR, I used to have NO idea that detoxing was dangerous.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It helps to stay busy, but I think a positive outlook is crucial. I go against the "one day at a time" school of thought...instead, I think how happy that I am to finally be free from something that has been holding me back for 10 years.

I suffer from chronic insomnia, so it helps that my doctor has me on a pretty strict schedule, but here's a normal day for me:

Wake up at 6am and get ready for work, work from 7am-5pm, come home and go for a 3-6 mile run, which takes up a good part of my evening. By the time I'm showered, cleaned up, etc, it's about 7 or 8pm (or sometimes later). I'll eat a late dinner, and then either do laundry, run errands, watch tv, read, etc. And like I mentioned, with having insomnia my doctor wants me in bed at 11:30. That only leaves a possibility of 2 hours of "getting in trouble." But after working out, alcohol is the last thing on my mind. Gatorade or water sounds so much more refreshing. Also, after you get a week or two under your belt you'll appreciate how awesome you feel waking up in the mornings. Being on top of your game is a great feeling.

Best of luck my friend. We're all here to listen and support.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Is it tomorrow that you are seing your doctor or next Thursday? I hope it's tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. It gets a lot easier after the first couple of weeks, it really does. I have 3 months now and days go by without a thought of drinking. I never thought I could reach this stage. You can too. Get as much medical help as you need. I hope you consider inpatient treatment if available. Best wishes to you on this journey.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Perhaps you could check with your dr. each day for a canceled appointment that would get you in sooner??? Frustrating to be sure, to be ready and then.......have to wait
Called the doc last evening and I have an appt in 2 hours (cancellation). Thanks for all the support. I feel like hell but I am more excited than I've been in a long long time. And nervous of the doctor (white coat syndrome, ha ha).
Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taws View Post
It helps to stay busy, but I think a positive outlook is crucial. I go against the "one day at a time" school of thought...instead, I think how happy that I am to finally be free from something that has been holding me back for 10 years.

I suffer from chronic insomnia, so it helps that my doctor has me on a pretty strict schedule, but here's a normal day for me:

Wake up at 6am and get ready for work, work from 7am-5pm, come home and go for a 3-6 mile run, which takes up a good part of my evening. By the time I'm showered, cleaned up, etc, it's about 7 or 8pm (or sometimes later). I'll eat a late dinner, and then either do laundry, run errands, watch tv, read, etc. And like I mentioned, with having insomnia my doctor wants me in bed at 11:30. That only leaves a possibility of 2 hours of "getting in trouble." But after working out, alcohol is the last thing on my mind. Gatorade or water sounds so much more refreshing. Also, after you get a week or two under your belt you'll appreciate how awesome you feel waking up in the mornings. Being on top of your game is a great feeling.

Best of luck my friend. We're all here to listen and support.
Thanks for the inspiration. I agree. Sticking to a schedule is key.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So glad your doctor is going to see you today. It takes a lot of courage to admit we have a problem and ask for help. I'm sure your doctor will be proud of you for making this step.

Stay close to the forum - we're here for you.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ok, well Im back. Not as bad as I thought. Actually a great relief. Got some meds to ease me through the first few days. Got a plan too. Going to do 90 in 90. Im going to really give AA a shot. And keep posting here too, of corse!!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Yeah!!!!!

We are here for you, Melberholtz. I am so glad you are sticking around