Notices

Vanilla Extract - I'm a total failure!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melberholtz View Post
Called the doc last evening and I have an appt in 2 hours (cancellation). Thanks for all the support. I feel like hell but I am more excited than I've been in a long long time. And nervous of the doctor (white coat syndrome, ha ha).
Awesome!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!! I'm so glad you saw your doctor and have a plan Please keep posting.....I'm going on vacation....but am bringing my lap top with me
Old 08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Well, I saw the doc yesterday, attended a meeting, and didn't drink. All-in-all not a bad 1st day. Slept great, woke relatively refreshed. I did notice this morning that alcohol has wreked havoc with my digestive system. Anything I eat just bloats the hell out of me. At this point, I don't even care. I know it will get better. Im just glad I was not hungover this morning and alert enough to notice.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
~sb

xa-speakers.org

90 in 90 will help you to get to know other people, if you talk with them before or after a meeting, and to help you find a sponsor. The new solution is in working the steps. ALL of the steps....

Glad you are doing okay!

Stay strong and stay stopped!! Just for today...

Hugs,
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Melber....Hoping you are still ok. If you get a chance....drop us a line
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Jake, 19

I second pondlady - check in soon and update us all. I'm very worried about you and the vanilla extract, could you get the doctor to do some bloodwork perhaps? When I saw that my liver was leaking it's enzymes into my blood, it motivated me to quit for almost 6 months (my problem now tends to be drugs rather than drink, but that's another matter).

If I were you, i'd ask for the doctor to run some tests, as the toxic chemical in Vanilla Extract which I told you about is severely damaging to both the liver and kidneys. This message may sound worrying, but i'm concerned that you may have done some damage by overdosing on coumarin that potentially outstrips the damage done by alcohol alone.

If I were you, i'd mention this to the doc and see what he/she says. I can tell you from experience, there's nothing more sobering than seeing a chart of your internal health and being told your prognosis is "not promising". Alcohol and chemicals like coumarin wreak havoc on the inside that may not show until it's too late. Overuse of both may have multiplied this effect.

Please ask for a health check-up and mention that you were drinking up to 2 litres of vanilla extract per week. At best, the doctor will give you the all clear. At worst, you have another reason to drive for sobriety.

Oh, and let us know how you're getting on! x

Last edited by MightyMung; 08-06-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I second MightyMung. Honesty is key when you meet with your doctor. They can't treat what they don't know about.

Sending you good wishes, and thanks for keeping us up to date on what is going on. Remember, once you have made the decision to get better, it can't get worse than if you kept using. So many people here have turned their bodies and heads around when they quit. You too, can get healthier.

Take good care of yourself.