Notices

Help please!!! I am very scared.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Detox

Well, I made some calls yesterday and can get into a state facility, someone came here and I signed the paperwork. However, by the time they have a bed I will probably be done detoxing on my own.

I prefer not to go to a state facility, I just don't have the money to pay my high insurance deductible right now to go anywhere else.

Anyway, so I took all of your advice, but if they don't have room, that don't have room.

3 more days and this should be over.

Thanks for your support everyone.

-RTQ
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I don't post on facebook "my house is on fire"

I call the fire department.

Please get to a doctor or ER. Stop mixing booze and pills.
Ok, here is another lovely quip from you. I don't know why you are being such a jerk. There are TONS of posts on here about people going through detox that ask questions, etc and talk about their experience. How many days in, etc. I've read them. Did you say the same to them?

Quit responding to me if you want to act like a jerk.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't understand why you just don't go to your family physician. taking your boyfriend's meds that are NOT prescribed for you....dx'ing yourself with your BP and using beer to bring down your heart rate is not the best option. (sounds like mixing to me)

if you've made up your mind to do what you think is best on your own, but getting professional help would be in your best interest...whether it is state or private help from your regular physician. hope you feel better.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I don't understand why you just don't go to your family physician. taking your boyfriend's meds that are NOT prescribed for you....dx'ing yourself with your BP and using beer to bring down your heart rate is not the best option. (sounds like mixing to me)

if you've made up your mind to do what you think is best on your own, but getting professional help would be in your best interest...whether it is state or private help from your regular physician. hope you feel better.
I guess I need to reword what I wrote originally.

I do NOT mix pills and drugs. I HAVE called my primary position. I actually emailed him through a new system they have in place and he usually answers right away, and no response from him as of yet.

With the beer and the BP, after not drinking all day and getting scared, I finally went to get some beer. I tested my blood pressure again a little while after drinking the beer to see if the lack of the beer was causing my blood pressure spike. I do not use beer as blood pressure medication for gods sake.

If you were going through detox and you had the medication around that could help you, you would not take it no matter how bad you felt or how scared you were? What if you were shaking like crazy and having a panic attack and someone handed you a pill to calm you down, you wouldn't take it just because it was not prescribed to you?

I do not have a pill addiction, but if it makes it easier, I'm going to use it during a time like this.

Why on earth are people judging me and putting me down on here?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

rdytoquit....people here are concerned about your well-being. Detoxing from alcohol can be fatal, and nearly has been for several people who post here. Please keep that in mind.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Rdytoquit:

I understand that when we are stressed and uncomfortable, it is easy to take things personally or feel that we are being attacked. Please know that we all really do have your best interest in mind. And knowing a bit about sugarbeer, I am sure she didn't mean to "judge" you. When she suggested you stop mixing pills and booze, she was responding to this sentence you posted:

"I have taken 3 1mg Xanax today. and took 30 mg of inderal about 30 minutes ago and it's still high. I went and bought beer. I want to see if drinking 1 will take it down, and wanted some here tomorrow if it's dangerously high."

Experience tells many of us that this is a dangerous approach. You noted that you feared for your life, and it sounded drastic. There is nothing we could offer besides an ear and advice, and that is why she probably suggested the ER.

Again, we are not here to judge. Perhaps sometimes solicited advice might sound that way. The intent is always good.

I hope you are doing better. Please keep posting, and we will keep reading.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

I went by what you wrote, hun. You mentioned that I have taken 3 1mg Xanax today. and took 30 mg of inderal about 30 minutes ago and it's still high. at 12:32 EST and then at 3:18 EST you wrote I am on my second beer today and it isn't going down, while my pulse has. You drank beer while under the influence of the medications, which weren't yours. This can be lethal.

I went by what you wrote, hun. No assumption made. You DID mix booze and pills today.

Call the AA hotline when you need to speak to someone about detoxing or call a medical help line. That was the point I was making, specifically for the next person who might read this thread.

Whether or not you have a pill addiction, your self-medicating for your own detox while being alone is not a smart decision.

I understand defensiveness and I understand wanting to stop drinking. I know what it takes to get through all of this. No judgements other than being your own non-degreed doctor isn't a great idea.

Vent away, I'm just trying to help another person not make the same decisions as this.

Detox can last 14 or more days, which includes possibilities of seizures and strokes.

The BEST detox is to see a medical professional first, have another person with you in case of anything (you can't make a call in the midst of a seizure or heart attack), and NOT taking another person's medications.

rdytoquit, I hope you are well and get through this without complications. Find a program of recovery and work it well. A true plan of detox works better than a last minute decision. Detox is just the beginning. I truly wish you well.

Peace,
Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Please go to the ER.

1. If you quit drinking and your blood pressure spikes, you are flirting with a very very bad detox.

2. If your blood pressure is still high on 30 milligrams of propanolol, well...that's a bad sign in my non-medical opinion.

3. Xanax might hep you avoid seizures, but it's not the benzo of choice for detox.

My blood pressure spiked at near stroke levels; nothing you want to mess with. Deductible or no deductible, you need medical care. Of course, the solution to my alcoholism was always drinking, and I am afraid you will just go back to the bottle to ride this out.

Following the blood pressure spike for me was a couple of seizures. Does that help you?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Rdytoquit:

I understand that when we are stressed and uncomfortable, it is easy to take things personally or feel that we are being attacked. Please know that we all really do have your best interest in mind. And knowing a bit about sugarbeer, I am sure she didn't mean to "judge" you. When she suggested you stop mixing pills and booze, she was responding to this sentence you posted:

"I have taken 3 1mg Xanax today. and took 30 mg of inderal about 30 minutes ago and it's still high. I went and bought beer. I want to see if drinking 1 will take it down, and wanted some here tomorrow if it's dangerously high."

Experience tells many of us that this is a dangerous approach. You noted that you feared for your life, and it sounded drastic. There is nothing we could offer besides an ear and advice, and that is why she probably suggested the ER.

Again, we are not here to judge. Perhaps sometimes solicited advice might sound that way. The intent is always good.

I hope you are doing better. Please keep posting, and we will keep reading.
1 beer! and Xanax has a very short half-life. By the time I even drank the beer, that was out of my system anyway. I'll be sure the next time I will be more careful with my wording and give everyone a d**n timeline. (I cant remember how much longer before, but 1 Xanax in the morning (6:00am or so) 1 at lunch and one around 5. Inderal was taking before the beer I bought the beer at 11:30PM. but that wont hurt me.

I don't think this is the best forum for me to be on for support at this point. You all are just pissing me off nitpicking my words and reading things into what I am writing. I don't consider that support.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
1 beer! and Xanax has a very short half-life. By the time I even drank the beer, that was out of my system anyway. I'll be sure the next time I will be more careful with my wording and give everyone a d**n timeline. (I cant remember how much longer before, but 1 Xanax in the morning (6:00am or so) 1 at lunch and one around 5. Inderal was taking before the beer I bought the beer at 11:30PM. but that wont hurt me.

I don't think this is the best forum for me to be on for support at this point. You all are just pissing me off nitpicking my words and reading things into what I am writing. I don't consider that support.
Sometimes it doesn't look like support if it is not what we want to hear. You have received excellent advice and support. Take what works, and disregard the rest. I hope you come back at some point.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have been on these boards for at least a year. I have relapsed too many times to count. Twice I ended up in the hospital because I tried to detox at home. BP was 210/110. Threw up so much that my electrolytes were dangerously low. I have since detoxed three times on my own. I do not suggest it. I am a medical professional and believe me, it is dangerous. I was stupid to do so. These wonderful people on SR have said about the same thing to me as they are saying to you. They have been there. They are not judging. The fact that they are taking the time to reply to you and give you the advice that you asked for should say something. I understand this is a frightening time for you. Emotions are high and so is your sensitivity. Please understand that all these comments are not judgmental. These are supportive, well meaning people that have gone to hell and back. Please re read the posts. Take care of yourself love. That is all anyone here wants.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
Please go to the ER.

1. If you quit drinking and your blood pressure spikes, you are flirting with a very very bad detox.

--- My blood pressure has been running high for the past few years. I think it is from alcohol actually. I don't go to the doctor drunk and I also don't think it's too good when I am drunk.

2. If your blood pressure is still high on 30 milligrams of propanolol, well...that's a bad sign in my non-medical opinion.

--------30MG wasn't much. But I actually have another blood pressure medication that is stronger, but I dont take it much as it doesn't make me feel well.

3. Xanax might hep you avoid seizures, but it's not the benzo of choice for detox.

------A doctor when I was 19 put me on some medication for migraines and depression and he gave me Xanax because the medication made me very uncomfortable and anxious, yet he REFUSED to take me off of it. The Xanax dosage kept increasing to the point I fired the doctor and went into rehab to get off of it. I never drank them or anything. Xanax alone left me in rehab for 30 days. Once I was admitted I was given 10 mg of valium every hour, I have had 4 gran mal seizures in my life time. Once 3 were in a row.

My blood pressure spiked at near stroke levels; nothing you want to mess with. Deductible or no deductible, you need medical care. Of course, the solution to my alcoholism was always drinking, and I am afraid you will just go back to the bottle to ride this out.

Following the blood pressure spike for me was a couple of seizures. Does that help you?
-----I've been there. I think that is why I am scared. As I stated earlier, they are trying to get me into a facility. And what I said about the xanax experience, that was hell, I would NEVER want to go through that again. That is also why I tend to stay away from pills unless necessary.

I will go buy beer today, while I pack my clothes, and get everything ready... But I'm sorry, I am going to drink now instead of trying this alone. I will be much healthier without the beer. My blood pressure always ran LOW.

So I will lurk on here while waiting on my state issued bed.

I just wish that everyone would stop judging me and know that I am trying to get in somewhere. It is a matter of waiting on an open bed. I wonder if they'll let me take my computer.

I placed comments up in your quoted text.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The half live of Xanax is days, not hours.

It's still in your system and alcohol loves Xanax.

Try to calm down. If this is your first day of detox it should pass in three to five days. Again, everyone here is only trying to tell you what happened to them.

ONE -- I am grateful to be sober for 20 months after a few decades of addiction.

TWO -- I am recovered from my addictions.

THREE -- Just call the ER and tell them what is happening.

FOUR -- You can type...you can write...you're doing better than I could in initial detox. I was in the hospital for 10 days after trying to detox on my own.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Actually, 30 milligrams of Inderal is a lot.

I detoxed from 20 milligrams of Klonopin....that's a daily dose equivalent to 400 milligrams of Valium. It wasn't pretty.

If you can get into a state facility to detox, n one here will tell you that's a bad thing. In fact, that's a very good think.

Drinking now will only prolong the agony.

If you are going into detox facility, why not hit the ER today?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Listen...the ER has to treat you whether you can afford it or not. You are playing with your life here.

Drinking now just might not be the solution. Seeing a doctor and telling them you are headed to a detox facility is the wise thing to do. Maybe the only thing to do?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My doctor responded to me. He wrote that I should taper it down, and it is the safest way to do it. However, I did put in my original message to him that I did NOT want to go to rehab/detox.

Also, isn't there a pill out there that can be prescribed that makes us despise alcohol?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
The half live of Xanax is days, not hours.

It's still in your system and alcohol loves Xanax.

Try to calm down. If this is your first day of detox it should pass in three to five days. Again, everyone here is only trying to tell you what happened to them.

ONE -- I am grateful to be sober for 20 months after a few decades of addiction.

TWO -- I am recovered from my addictions.

THREE -- Just call the ER and tell them what is happening.

FOUR -- You can type...you can write...you're doing better than I could in initial detox. I was in the hospital for 10 days after trying to detox on my own.
The half life of Xanax immediate release is 11.2 hours. Not days.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I know I've been a bit touchy, and I apologize.

I do have a question for all of you. Each one have you have been through this sort of thing and told me of your horrible experiences. I know that detox is different for everyone.

One thing I would like to know is how much exactly were each of you consuming before you detoxed? I am sure it's much worse the more consumed and the longer period of abuse.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I know I've been a bit touchy, and I apologize.

I do have a question for all of you. Each one have you have been through this sort of thing and told me of your horrible experiences. I know that detox is different for everyone.

One thing I would like to know is how much exactly were each of you consuming before you detoxed? I am sure it's much worse the more consumed and the longer period of abuse.
Apology accepted. We have all been there, and your angst and frustration is normal.

Others might weigh in on your question, but I gently suggest to you NOT to use other's experiences as a possible yardstick for your own decision making about how to approach detox. EVERYONE is different, and the only way to be safe is to consult with a doctor who will determine what is best for you.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ready,

According to "Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcholism", the withdrawal syndrome usually begins several hours to several days after the last drink; symptoms tend to peak around the third day and abate within a week. When is your boyfriend coming back? I hate to think of you detoxing on your own. God bless you for posting. I cannot imagine posting when going through detox. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. You are not alone.