Notices

Help please!!! I am very scared.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Update.

My physician is calling in Valium. I asked if I could just quit and not worry about tapering down. I sent him a message asking if it was necessary to taper down and if I could just quit and take the Valium. He responded I could do that. We are still emailing back and forth for more instructions.

Right now, that is my plan. I am not detoxing now (I'm drinking). My boyfriend gets back Saturday. I think I can start Sunday morning. From there, when he gets back to work Monday I will go to my parents while he is at work.

I want to thank everyone. I will be visiting this forum often to keep off the sauce.

-RTQ Stephanie
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good for you....For what it's worth...It's what you do after detox that will decide your future with alcohol...Today might be a good day to put some thought into what your plans are going to be to remain sober for good. I wish you the best!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad to know you have a plan. I don't know how your doctor expected an "alcoholic" (not sure if you are one, just questioning that doctor) to taper alone. I know I couldn't do it. I tried and got stuck at 6 beers a night for many years, then I finally had a bad hangover for 2 days, couldn't drink, ran out, then just never had another drink since last May. I did have a friend stay with me at that time for about a month.

Are you reading about AVRT or any program of recovery as a life-long plan of sorts? It gets different after we stop drinking and stay stopped.

I wish you well in staying stopped!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

rdytoquit - I think you've made a very wise decision to be around people while you detox. I had a friend stay with me for 3 days when I stopped - i was terrified - just like you about the physical aspects of detox. I'm only on day 4 and feel pretty good - but I spend as much time outside my house as possible because I want to be around people in case something happens.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
this is tough. and don't let anyone tell you it isnt. (i.e. those normies
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Good for you....For what it's worth...It's what you do after detox that will decide your future with alcohol...Today might be a good day to put some thought into what your plans are going to be to remain sober for good. I wish you the best!
Very, very good point. After the detox, I will need some tools to keep me from going back. Right now I am taking it one step at a time. Detox first, groups later, this forum, etc.

Right now the detox is most important. But I know in my heart that I will need support after that.

Is there an online AA community nightly chat? That would be real cool actually!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

maybe luck is the wrong word.
it's not luck.
I wish you all the STRENGTH in the world
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yes - there is an online aa - there are even online meetings - although in person meetings are best.
just google online aa and you'll find a bunch of chatters.
Although IMO I've found the chat there to be more of a social scene than a support scene.
The meetings are pretty good.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lydiebreeze View Post
rdytoquit - I think you've made a very wise decision to be around people while you detox. I had a friend stay with me for 3 days when I stopped - i was terrified - just like you about the physical aspects of detox. I'm only on day 4 and feel pretty good - but I spend as much time outside my house as possible because I want to be around people in case something happens.
I wish you all the luck in the world.
this is tough. and don't let anyone tell you it isnt. (i.e. those normies
Haha! No one told me it was going to be easy. Not on this thread anyway. Congrats on day 4. If you need someone to talk to, let me know. Lydie, don't you have any friends or family near that could stay with you?

I really don't know what is going to happen to me, until I do it for an extended period of time.

For the poster that mentioned that how my doctor would be able to deal with an "alcoholic" well, he's been my doctor for over 15 years and he knows what he sees when he reviews my yearly physical. A blood test tells a lot!

I think he knows what he's doing. If any of you out there have really checked your test results, you will see all the signs.

I just don't understand why some of you chose to do this alone and didn't ask your physician for help.

With the tapering, I would also NOT be doing that alone. I would be locked in the house around people that would dole out a certain amount as needed. Hell no, I couldn't do that alone! I know that.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I feel better about what you are doing...None of us want to see anybody hurt themselves....This site has online meetings...Check it out rather than pounding drinks. Face to face meetings are where it's at...You can meet a sponsor and work the steps...That's the program of recovery.

AAOnline.net--Realtime Open AA Meetings on the Internet

This is a good site to look at before you go to a real meeting. I wish you the best...Change your life!

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I feel better about what you are doing...None of us want to see anybody hurt themselves....This site has online meetings...Check it out rather than pounding drinks. Face to face meetings are where it's at...You can meet a sponsor and work the steps...That's the program of recovery.

AAOnline.net--Realtime Open AA Meetings on the Internet

This is a good site to look at before you go to a real meeting. I wish you the best...Change your life!

Your First AA Meeting<
Thanks, but I cant get on chat here. I've tried everything.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

hi rdytoquit...Read some of the previous posts. Just want to wish you the best..Lots of people he have provided support and you have come to a good place.

Keep posting to let people know how you are making out.

Jim
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
Thanks, but I cant get on chat here. I've tried everything.
It says you need Flash 7 (or above)...You can download that.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

nothing works that i have tried. I don't know why. And downloaded the latest version of flash.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
hi rdytoquit...Read some of the previous posts. Just want to wish you the best..Lots of people he have provided support and you have come to a good place.

Keep posting to let people know how you are making out.

Jim
Thanks, Jim!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
nothing works that i have tried. I don't know why. And downloaded the latest version of flash.
That could be God's way of saying...Drag your ass to a meeting!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

That could be God's way of saying...Drag your ass to a meeting!
Haha... Well I have someone that will take me to meetings. But it irritates me that doesn't work. I'm a bit tenacious.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

It should work....But you never know. I never prayed when I drank...I drank 35 years....And I was hopeless. I prayed while I was in detox in rehab. I just said..."God...I can't do this anymore." Two days after detox an older lady came up to me and said..."You look like you need to go to an AA meeting."...I'd never been to one...I was ready to try anything....I went...And haven't had a drink since.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I just don't understand why some of you chose to do this alone and didn't ask your physician for help

Stupidity, pride, finances, to answer your question. I am glad you aren't doing it alone. It's very scary.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Are you on a phone? I don't think that chat is set up for mobile devices.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Are you on a phone? I don't think that chat is set up for mobile devices.
That would make sense.