Notices

Class of April 2012

Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Oh, and no headache tonight. Hurrah!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR got me through a lot of hard nights in the beginning - it's a good place to be

D
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Praise7 View Post
Easter Sunday 4/8/2012 was day 1 again for me. I had 24 years at one point but now have struggled to get past 40 days. I feel surrendered now though. I feel reborn, renewed and re-hope so maybe God willing and I know He is I will get it this time.
Damn...I guess its never over then. 24 years is a lot. I remember a time when I was in my early 20s and partying when my friend (now dead, diff story but realivent) showed up w some guy in his 50s. He look defeated and told us that it was the 1st time he drank in 20 something years. We had no more beer but I had an almost full one I had been drinking and he took it and looked so ashamed. I probably wasnt in as much control as I thought I was then and thought "....wont be me".....unfortunately so far Im right, longest stretch Ive had of sobriety is 6 mos...
Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't speak with authority about anyone else's experience but I've worked hard on myself and my life over the last 5 years.

I've fundamentally accepted the fact that I can keep the life I've worked for, or I can drink - but I can't do both.

It takes a lot of work and a lot of commitment, especially in the beginning, but I think it is possible to leave our drinking old life behind - for good

It needn't be a chore either - I love my life now - I think we can be vigilant without living in fear

D
Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

At 14 days and for me drinking has not become something that I would do every day or in non-social situations, so when I am not in those settings (most of the time while I'm in class, doing school work, eating with roommates, sleeping) I don't even think about it almost at all. Ive found this must make racking up days a lot easier for me than for those who were in the habit of drinking every day or most days at home and/or alone. Nonetheless, I think sometimes it also allows me to neglect my recovery and pretend like there's nothing wrong and forget everything I came to believe until all the sudden I find myself in one of those situations and feel very distanced from drinking and everything bad that comes with it for me in a way that makes it feel safer. I guess I'm saying that not having to think about it all the time seems to be mainly a blessing, but perhaps if I had to work on it more or be more aware of it and intentional more of the time then I would be more prepared/in the right mindset when I find myself in those situations. Because those are the times I do drink, when I wasn't expecting to be confronted with the choice, and each time its worse physically, behaviorally, and emotionally.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurad8911 View Post
At 14 days and for me drinking has not become something that I would do every day or in non-social situations, so when I am not in those settings (most of the time while I'm in class, doing school work, eating with roommates, sleeping) I don't even think about it almost at all. Ive found this must make racking up days a lot easier for me than for those who were in the habit of drinking every day or most days at home and/or alone. Nonetheless, I think sometimes it also allows me to neglect my recovery and pretend like there's nothing wrong and forget everything I came to believe until all the sudden I find myself in one of those situations and feel very distanced from drinking and everything bad that comes with it for me in a way that makes it feel safer. I guess I'm saying that not having to think about it all the time seems to be mainly a blessing, but perhaps if I had to work on it more or be more aware of it and intentional more of the time then I would be more prepared/in the right mindset when I find myself in those situations. Because those are the times I do drink, when I wasn't expecting to be confronted with the choice, and each time its worse physically, behaviorally, and emotionally.
I agree wholeheartedly laurad....I am quite similar, where I was not drinking anywhere near daily, but would go out on a bender and just...not....stop. Although the first time I quit drinking I was drinking a few times a week, and in my prime drinking days (college) it was something like 5-6 times a week. But the fact that I can go weeks without thinking about it does make admitting I am powerless a tough pill to swallow. I sometimes think I traded in a low-grade desire to drink for a high-powered urge that sneaks up on me out of nowhere. We just have to be more prepared when those powerful urges to go get smashed hit us!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

How is everyone? Larraine? Stevie? Emma? There are so many that had posted at the beginning that I'd love to hear from.

Wrapping day 13. Better mood than yesterday, and head feeling clearer. I'm on the right side of my addiction today, not feeling burdened by it but feeling empowered. Glad I can simply make a choice not to drink and all of that other stuff I stressed and obsessed over for so long (like how much I could drink or all the poor choices I made while I was drinking) kind of just goes away when I accept my fate of being a non-drinker.
Sure, sounds easy some days, but it's not easy every day, and it's not a linear path that my addiction has led me on. But, I'll take it!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Day 3, have a cold or similar now. Still wobbly, but really just exploring the relief of not fighting with controlling/rationalising/debating the drinking, just making this decision and trusting in my wisdom (this is a different thing, usually I spend time second guessing and rationalising and making promises with myself thinking I can 'work this out', but I have already now and I'm really falling into the idea of just letting that original decision be, it was a good one, loved ones agree, so I don't need to revisit it)

Anyway, brain dump over, back tomorrow...
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

see you tomorrow on day 4 donenow!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

You bet! and I will see you on 14 tomorrow!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
kiddo

Day 3. Soccer soon, then back to school tomorrow finally.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

I think Dee really hit upon an important topic concerning fear. My own experiences with relapses and hearing about relapses can really start to frighten me. I do know that I don't want to live a fear-based life. I have to focus on having faith and belief in myself instead of focusing on fear. Life is just so much more rewarding sober. It really is the difference between heaven and hell. Wishing everyone a happy, sober Wednesday
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

4/25 ANZAC Day - Day one for me.

"Lest We Forget"
Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome anotherquitter

D
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Day 5!

I'm still losing weight, which is amazing to me after struggling to do so for weeks and weeks in vain while I was drinking. Apparently, all the chips, cookies, and soda I have been shoveling in STILL can't compete with the destructive effects of the amount of alcohol I was drinking.

Re: fear: I relapsed the last time around after 8 successful months. So I know just how easy it is. But that doesn't mean I am going to live my life in fear. It does mean that I'm going to concentrate very hard on staying sober each day - for that day, and only that day.

I also have a little plan in mind to remind myself of the need to be vigilant, though I'm not quite ready to discuss specifics yet. It's something I plan to reward myself with if and when I make it a couple of months. I think it will be very effective.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Welcome anotherquitter
Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Day One for me too. So glad I found this site. Class of April 2012 sounds like a great club to join.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Lady Blaze

Going on day 16 here. It keeps getting easier.
I can't wait to for it to keep getting better.

Hang in there guys.... we do recover.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Just checking in,Day 3 for me today and i'm feeling fine and dandy....My appetite is still through the roof and i'm loving it...Heres a breakdown of what i have eaten today...Breakfast 1=4 slices of jam on toast...Breakfast 2=Bacon and fried egg sandwich with 2 fried eggs,5 rashers of bacon,split between 3 slices of bread...Snack=2 yoghurts and 1 pint of whole fat milk...Lunch=Cheese salad sandwich...Snack=1 whole pack of oreo cookies(bout 15 cookies in a pack)...Snack=1 mars bar and 1 snickers bar...Dinner=1 large kebab in pitta bread with loads of salad and extra hot habernero sauce...There we go,i have been eating like a beast,good job i plan on throwing a few weights around tommorow and its a good job that i need the extra weight on my tiny frame....Good to see all the newcomers....Off to bed to watch t.v for me in a bit...Catch you all later.....
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

End of Day 10 and feel ok. Had a strong craving at around 4 o' clock. Have been having a difficult time with a family member and the temptation to drink has been strong. Have resisted though, mainly by thinking about what I would be losing. I'm worried though if I did have a relapse I'd be worse than ever because I'd feel so useless. So, all in all, not as upbeat as other days...