View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
kittycat3

Originally Posted by laurad8911 View Post
At 14 days and for me drinking has not become something that I would do every day or in non-social situations, so when I am not in those settings (most of the time while I'm in class, doing school work, eating with roommates, sleeping) I don't even think about it almost at all. Ive found this must make racking up days a lot easier for me than for those who were in the habit of drinking every day or most days at home and/or alone. Nonetheless, I think sometimes it also allows me to neglect my recovery and pretend like there's nothing wrong and forget everything I came to believe until all the sudden I find myself in one of those situations and feel very distanced from drinking and everything bad that comes with it for me in a way that makes it feel safer. I guess I'm saying that not having to think about it all the time seems to be mainly a blessing, but perhaps if I had to work on it more or be more aware of it and intentional more of the time then I would be more prepared/in the right mindset when I find myself in those situations. Because those are the times I do drink, when I wasn't expecting to be confronted with the choice, and each time its worse physically, behaviorally, and emotionally.
I agree wholeheartedly laurad....I am quite similar, where I was not drinking anywhere near daily, but would go out on a bender and just...not....stop. Although the first time I quit drinking I was drinking a few times a week, and in my prime drinking days (college) it was something like 5-6 times a week. But the fact that I can go weeks without thinking about it does make admitting I am powerless a tough pill to swallow. I sometimes think I traded in a low-grade desire to drink for a high-powered urge that sneaks up on me out of nowhere. We just have to be more prepared when those powerful urges to go get smashed hit us!