Notices

Class of November 2011

Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! i would love to join this group. My last drink was October 30th. I'm feeling very happy that I've finally been able to say enough is enough! and I honestly am dumbfounded that I have. I've always made excuses about Christmas coming up or a birthday or the weekend whatever, it was never the right time to do it. I've been eating healthy, exercising, using this site, and most importantly admitting to myself that "I'm an alcoholic" posting it on here has been so important for me. The only issue I have is anxiety....I have been on medication for anxiety for the last year and have been doing sooo well. So well that it is why I've been even thinking about quitting because I really have no reason to drink anymore since I've been on my medication. But the day I admitted I'm an alcoholic my anxiety got bad. Then it goes away but whenever I get on this site I get anxious even though the info i get from this site is so good for my recovery. Last night was ridiculous! My husband and I had a great day doing yard work together, I was so happy all day. Then when I got in bed I just felt so anxious. I thought it was because I had a tea but I checked this morning and its caffeine free. Today I feel really fuzzy headed. Any thoughts?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bruman Day 2

Feeling better with no desire to drink like that first day. I just don't respond to AA. It has nothing to do with a higher power, I can see that working for some people. I just didn't jive with the community, there were politics and such within each group. I did learn some very good tools from AA. I just need support. This site so far has been very good for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by hpace6 View Post
Hi Everyone! i would love to join this group. My last drink was October 30th. I'm feeling very happy that I've finally been able to say enough is enough! and I honestly am dumbfounded that I have. I've always made excuses about Christmas coming up or a birthday or the weekend whatever, it was never the right time to do it. I've been eating healthy, exercising, using this site, and most importantly admitting to myself that "I'm an alcoholic" posting it on here has been so important for me. The only issue I have is anxiety....I have been on medication for anxiety for the last year and have been doing sooo well. So well that it is why I've been even thinking about quitting because I really have no reason to drink anymore since I've been on my medication. But the day I admitted I'm an alcoholic my anxiety got bad. Then it goes away but whenever I get on this site I get anxious even though the info i get from this site is so good for my recovery. Last night was ridiculous! My husband and I had a great day doing yard work together, I was so happy all day. Then when I got in bed I just felt so anxious. I thought it was because I had a tea but I checked this morning and its caffeine free. Today I feel really fuzzy headed. Any thoughts?
Welcome hpace!

Perhaps now that you are sober you may want to check back in with your dr. about your anxiety meds. It's possible that you may need to adjust your dosage or something now that you aren't drinking. Congrats ony our sober time! I found that my anxiety got much better by not drinking, but it took over 30 days to notice an improvement, so you may just want to give it some time.

Best wishes!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'd like to join

My story is so much like Berndats that we could be sisters. My SO has no idea that I drink as much as I did. Every night for the last 5 years. Started with a few glasses of wine but the past months I've added a few glasses of pineapple rum while I was putting the kids to bed. I have tried several times to stop without much success.

But my kids are now asking that I stop drinking. I hide it from them but I think they just "see" more than my significant other. So last Wed I went to the doctor's and got some Antabuse. As long as I have a minute of strength I take my pill and then know I can't drink for another 48 hours. I wouldn't have made it to today (day 5) without it - I would have broken down last night. I know I'll have to involve more people along the way (and come clean to my whole family) but for now I'll use this site as support...

And my Antabuse.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tigger41!

D
Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
AzM

I would like to join this group. A little late but 20 hours in so far.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome AzM

D
Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.
Pipedreamer, I too would like to say congrats to everyone for getting through the weekend. I'm now on day 9 and counting.
Thanks Fraggy and Pootles. Good to have you along for this journey as well.
Boozefree, the important thing is that you're back on track. As Pipedreamer said, you're not alone and yes, it sure feels great to wake up hangover-free.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Tigger41, your story does sound so much like mine. One of the hardest things about all this for me has been the lies, and deception - that is extremely stressful. I'm on day 9 now and still have a long way to go but I really want to stop living a lie and start living life. I'm feeling great so far.
Good luck to you and welcome to the November 2011 class.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good Luck to the November 2011 group!!!! You can do it if you stick to this forum and read, read, read

Signed,
Member of November 2010 group
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for dropping in Joe
Good to see you - you must nearly be a year by now

D
Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
clinging to success

Hi everybody, I'm joining the November class. I was just looking at my last post, which was back in February, and thinking about how horrible the last 8 months have been. My drinking level has probably doubled, and my health, mental and physical, has deteriorated. Happy to be back and excited to try this again!

Day 1. Been drinking water and laying around all day. Feel decent, but I would normally be hours into drinking by this time, and I hate the anxiety that goes with the first few days.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back outwardbound

D
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
clinging to success

Thanks Dee. I'm hoping to spend much more time here this go around since doing my own thing didnt go so well.

OB
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tigger41 View Post
My story is so much like Berndats that we could be sisters. My SO has no idea that I drink as much as I did. Every night for the last 5 years. Started with a few glasses of wine but the past months I've added a few glasses of pineapple rum while I was putting the kids to bed. I have tried several times to stop without much success.

But my kids are now asking that I stop drinking. I hide it from them but I think they just "see" more than my significant other. So last Wed I went to the doctor's and got some Antabuse. As long as I have a minute of strength I take my pill and then know I can't drink for another 48 hours. I wouldn't have made it to today (day 5) without it - I would have broken down last night. I know I'll have to involve more people along the way (and come clean to my whole family) but for now I'll use this site as support...

And my Antabuse.
. I am always so glad to meet a fellow Antabuse user!!! And I say the same thing to people: all it takes is ONE single minute of strength every day, or two. One time my bf and i were driving for a weekend trip and I just got it in me to take an antabuse and as I did I told my bf, well, that just bought us a guaranteed sober weekend. But I play mind games with myself, and have been doing this on and off for a few years. Like tonight, I am thinking how my last pill was on Saturday so I could probably drink tomorrow. I wonder how long I'll continue to do this... i want to be off of them altogether, but I think that would be a little dangerous now.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
Good Luck to the November 2011 group!!!! You can do it if you stick to this forum and read, read, read

Signed,
Member of November 2010 group
So COOL. You were here a year ago. So how did you do it?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi alaskasunshine. Yep. Everytime I take one I calculate when I can drink lol. My guess is that we'll do that until we dont think about it. At least I'm hoping so. I hope one day I think "hey when was my lady Antabuse"? At which time I'll probably need to take one. Lol. It's been a great crutch. Without it I'm not sure I'd be a day 6. It helps me not obsess (as much).

Keep in touch.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 11! I can't believe how much my life has turned around in 11 DAYS. Complete 180. It's amazing what one can accomplish when not literally flushing one's life down the toilet every day.

I am so grateful to be sober. I am seeing life in a new light. Accepting for once and for all that I had a problem and that my life would never improve while drinking was pivotal. I could never succeed while in denial. I really am POWERLESS over alcohol. (God, I hate using cliches!) Once I admitted that to myself, for real, I put my sobriety above EVERYTHING else in my life. I made some major adjustments accordingly, and it has been a lot easier than the times I tried to quit but didn't really believe in my heart that I NEEDED to quit. You know? I know you know.

Also I have been practicing gratitude. Every time I am feeling crappy or sorry for myself or my thoughts are heading in that dangerous direction, I think about what I am grateful for today. What I have in my life. And how alcohol has the power to take that away, like THAT. While I'm drinking I have nothing, literally nothing. If I'm drinking, I'm dying. It's a hard reality but it's MY reality, and I have to live in it if I want to have the good life that I've been denying myself for years and years. Time to move on.

Next chapter. I'm really looking at it as a new chapter of my life. Closing the one filled with chaos and failure. On to the next, one of accomplishment and appreciation. Time to show off what I can do when I'm not systematically subconsciously destroying my life.

I don't want my life to be defined by alcohol. Bottom line. I don't want to look back at a mediocre life that always fell short of really doing what I wanted to, because of ****ing alcohol. No way. I want a great life and I know all of you do, too, but we can't do it while we're slaves to alcohol and drugs.

We can do it! ***k alcohol and drugs!

Thanks for hearing me out guys I just am feeling so positive I had to get it out. Can't sleep, too much on my mind!

Hope you all have wonderful days out there. Anywhere you are where it's NOT raining, be grateful for that because it is POURING here! (As usual).
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

11/5/2011...I've had enough.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm back again. Was in the October group, but have had a bunch of slips. Was thinking I was able to control it, and of course was wrong. Even though I've been drinking less than in the past, I still feel like crap. And I miss my stretch of 15 days when I was not drinking--I felt sooo much better.

Anyway, I'm seeing a counselor now, and am learning about AVRT. I plan to use those tools, and I also plan to post here regularly.
I have to make this work this time. I'm so disappointed in myself.