Notices

Class of October 2011

Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pups are rough on everyone I think csim, not just people getting sober and recovering from injury - I feel for ya

My best thoughts go out to you and your family birchgreen.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-16-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: sober not 'dober' - dogs on the brain LOL
Old 10-16-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

General and Birchgreen...i am with you on the soda and lime. i drink pellegrino when i can, as it makes it feel like something special.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

just got up, sunday morning here in the eastern usa. cool fall weather with the sun shining. my dog greeted me happy and jumping for her breakfast. seven hours of sleep and woke feeling healthy and peaceful. it has been years since i have felt this healthy. i had no idea that the tired and sapped feeling i have had all the time was a perpetual hangover. i just thought i was slowing down as i approach middle age.

while i was walking the dog this morning, it struck me. i have an internal voice criticizing me and calling me names. you are not an alcoholic, you are just seeking attention, the truth is you are weak...why can't you just get control of your drinking like everyone else? then it tells me to just have a few drinks and learn to achieve balance in my life. the truth is that this is not possible. i have been feeling despair and trying to moderate for years. this epiphany that i have been living with a constant hangover makes me know i REALLY was drinking heavily. also, to spend a saturday in the house and fill a whole afternoon and evening that usually would be taken up with slow steady drinking that made me unable to fully connect with anyone. i would be physically present but my mind would be elsewhere. i realize i have spent SO much of my time thinking of getting a drink, drinking, getting drunk, recovering from being drunk. it is amazing to realize the freedom, peace and health i feel without my precious wineglass. the desire to drink has not minimized at all, it's just amazing to see how much more there is to life when i am sober.

thanks friends. wishing all a lovely sunday.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

"dober"

Dee 74

I rather liked "dober" - I thought it was your way of telling us you had a nasty cold!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Reading each and every post is soooo helpful and makes me feel warm inside. Honestly - there are things I relate to, from every single person's posts. If we were an AA group in person we would have an awesome group!!

I'm happy to be sober still, day 4, and I did have to take Benadryl the past 2 nights because my mind was racing a million miles a minute.

I love the sober mornings. Every little thing outside feels so tender and sweet to me - a breeze, a neighbor waving hello from their car, a bird singing in a tree. I know this sounds like a Hallmark card but really, when you're miserable and hungover you only wake up and think, "ugh. I need water. I need Advil. I need to go back to bed. what did I say last night? Did i really send that email...did I really finish off the brownies..." etc etc..just horrible realizations and massive GUILT.

And now, awakening to a calmness makes me feel so grateful.

But like goodcheer, my downfall is that voice that tells me, hey you are fine! Just drink now and then, and then do this "wellness cleanse" sobriety thing...and that way you can keep on a nice course. Sober a few weeks, then have some wine with friends, then you can hop back on the sober wagon, and moderate your way through, this way.

But wait...I am in my mid forties, divorced, and a single mom. Somehow my "dream life" has eluded me. Dare I think it has something to do with my deep relationship with wine?! That is what i need to face and that is what i don't want to face. :-(

Happy Sober Sunday to all!!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Alaska - Happy birthday! Being sober is the best gift you can give yourself! I hope you have a lovely day with your family. In honor of your birthday, I'll stay sober today too!

General - I love your strategy. Tea and hot cocoa always make me feel cozy and happy, and soda and lime make me feel like I'm treating myself. All without the hangover.

Birchgreen - Great job getting through yesterday. Some days are tough, but hopefully we'll have fewer of those tough days as time goes on. I'll be sending good thoughts to you and your husband's family today.

Goodcheer - Thanks for pointing out how much more present we are without drinking. The whole process really did take up so much time. It's nice to think about what else we can do with all that time.

Hope everyone has a great, sober day.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Alaska Happy Birthday! have a great day

Birchgreen hope today can be a little better for you.

Last night I gave in after finding 2 beers hiding in the back of the fridge. What a way to waste what was a good sober day, after those 2 beers I was bummed and realized how pointless it is for me to continue to drink. I was writing in my journal this morning and skimming thru it. I started writing in it back in 2009 and reading over some entries thru out it made me realize this morning how miserable and depressed my entries are and its all based about not wanting to suffer and continue drinking. Then theres some positive ones where I sound much happier and those were doing the times I was sober. Reading over my entries really put in perspective just how miserable alcohol has left me feeling. I am glad to wake up today with the opportunity to try again.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Alaska

Happy Birthday hope all is well!!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Alaska!

Goodcheer, your post about not really connecting with others while drinking really "connected" with me. It's one of the things I like least about drinking, because I think that inability to connect and be present, repeated often enough, is what leads to that sense of isolation that so many of us have spoken about.

Boozefree, sorry you stumbled, but it sounds like you are on the right path by reflecting on the last two years and seeing the difference in your journal entries between when you were sober and when you were drinking. Don't beat yourself up, and stay strong!

A beautiful day here in the Southwest, too. Thank goodness for these glorious Indian summer days -- it sure makes the first days of sobriety easier and more magical.

Felt great to wake up today with a clear head and feeling well-rested; my stumble on Friday (and the result yesterday morning) stand in stark relief to my mood today. Good to have the reminder, is the way I'm approaching that. If I want to experience remorse or regret -- well, I know where to find that!

Oh, and Footloose was a cute, put-a-smile-on-your-face movie. Better than the original. And not to put too much into what was a light and somewhat cheesy film, it reminded me of being a teenager and the joy we could have then before drinking. That's what I want back (though without being a teenager again, thank you very much).

Have a good day all!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Red face Back to Day 1

I have been sick (severe head and chest cold) for almost 10 days now. I gave in over the weekend to try and booze the sickness away. Well, it didn't work and I am back on day 1. I will keep trying, and I still have hopes of this October club being my final quit thread.

Glad to see so many people here and doing well.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Sigma hope you feel better soon and glad your givin it another try, dont give up!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Hello to All! Hope everyone is having a great Sunday! I'm enjoying a wonderful day - went to church and now I'm cooking and doing laundry and then time to mow the grass. It is a really nice day though - we're able to have the house open and I'm actually enjoying my chores today. Wierd! I'm loving this feeling of normalcy. I already have my sparkling water and apple cider chilling for after I mow the grass - gotta have my refreshing drink

Alaskasunshine - :day2 Hope you're enjoying a great day! Any big plans (other than staying sober of course )? Any, by the way - any kind of cookie that comes out of the oven, at home is definitely homemade in my book. How cool that your 13 yo likes to make them - love that!

Csim and Animal - sure hope you're both able to relax more today and the puppies are being a bit better behaved. Puppies ARE a lot of work!

General - Great idea to plan out comfort/fun drinks especially on F, S, SS - those are definitely the hardest. I'm taking your idea and applying to when I come in from doing yardwork. Thanks!

Risydawn - Hope today is going as well as yesterday! Enjoy!

Honeypie - You are so right about sweet mornings! It would make a good Hallmark card - love the description!

Tanja - Hope you're feeling better and your cold is subsiding! Let us know how you're doing!

Goodcheer - Your epiphany today is exactly what I've been feeling/thinking - you put it in words well (much better than I)

Birchgreen - Any news on your father-in-law? Your whole family is in my prayers. Cool about your ipod! Enjoy your music! Play it nice and loud and drown out the addictive voice in your head - kick it out!

Deserto and DarkDays - Hope you're still with us reading - hopefully you'll feel like posting again soon!! You're armed with new knowledge for the coming week that will help you in your journey! Don't get down on yourselves - just get more determined - You can do this!

Boozefree - Good idea to go back and read your journal. I find it helpful to go back and re-read my earlier posts. I've never journaled, but it is starting to sound like a useful exercise. Are you going to try AA again?

Sigma - Sorry to hear that you're so sick! It is so much harder to be strong and focused when we're sick. Good luck getting back on track this week. Make sure to keep us posted!

LittleSparrow, EdHarley, NvrbeentoSpain - Hope you're enjoying a nice, sober Sunday.

Stevie88, Iwantmeback - Where are you guys??? We'd love to hear from you! Sure hope you're ok.

I hope I'm not missing anyone - we're getting a big group!!! I want to thank everyone for their posts. It helps so much to hear all your stories - the struggles and the successes!!

p.s. Totally off-topic - I know someone was going to see Footloose (Deserto, I think?? not sure)...... So thumbs up or down? Is it ok in its own way or a total disaster?? I'm curious because I grew up on the old (awesome) version? But, I like some of the stars in the new one. Just curious..... A movie review would be great

oops - Deserto - sorry for the duplicate question. We just cross-posted. I'll go back and read your review now. LOL THANKS!!

Last edited by sadsoul2011; 10-16-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsoul2011;3138985p.s.
Totally off-topic - I know someone was going to see Footloose (Deserto, I think?? not sure)...... So thumbs up or down? Is it ok in its own way or a total disaster?? I'm curious because I grew up on the old (awesome) version? But, I like some of the stars in the new one. Just curious..... A movie review would be great
Hi Sadsoul, you might have missed my earlier post, where I recommended the movie.

I remember seeing the original but didn't see it multiple times... but I did think this one was very charming and possibly better than the first. I thought it could be a disaster. Definitely worth seeing and I'd love to hear your reaction if you were a big fan of the first.

For what it's worth, Rotten Tomatoes users give the new one something like 78% thumbs up, compared to around 54% for the original.

But go with low expectations. I did, and was pleasantly surprised.

The male lead (I don't know his name) was great, too. And at the risk of sounding old, they just don't make feel-good teen movies like that anymore. Though apparently they do remake them.

Update: Yes we are cross-posting here Sadsoul! LOL.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
Oh, and Footloose was a cute, put-a-smile-on-your-face movie. Better than the original. And not to put too much into what was a light and somewhat cheesy film, it reminded me of being a teenager and the joy we could have then before drinking. That's what I want back (though without being a teenager again, thank you very much).

Have a good day all!
Thanks! I'm so happy to hear that it was good. I don't go to see too many movies (may not see this until DVD LOL) but I enjoy light and cheesy (as long as they don't try to bill it something more haha. We could all stand to be reminded of the fun we used to have before drinking. However, *I agree* I have absolutely no desire to go back and do it again. I love being older. I'm working on the wiser

If only I knew then what I know now........(that saying is so very true)!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

I am having a really good laugh right now! Silly I know! But I went to respond again and saw your edit. Well....I'm going to run (actually walk) and mow the grass. I'll post more later.

I'm glad to hear you sound so much better!! I have a good feeling about things for you; I think you're on the right track
Old 10-16-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

So what is your plan for the week?

I thought it may be interesting to hear what everyone is planning to do this week to stay sober and work on their recovery? Plans....Ideas.....?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Day 4 is off to a great start...I woke up about 12 times last night but that is not too bad for me..

Off to the track to support some team mates. I am not racing because my truck is set up for sand and it would not do well on an off road track.

Thanks for the kind words Sadsoul.

Ohhh...Dreaming about drinking sucks!!! Opps..wrong thread..lol
Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsoul2011 View Post
I thought it may be interesting to hear what everyone is planning to do this week to stay sober and work on their recovery? Plans....Ideas.....?
I plan to read about successful recoveries - got a few books off Amazon - some good, some not so good. Anyone have any recommendations for a good read? George McGovern's 'Terry' was a good read but very sad.

Also plan to increase my meagre running mileage - should be pretty easy as I've got an extra 4 hours a day now! (I used to drink from 5:30pm until 9:30pm and then stumble up to bed).
Old 10-16-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

End Of day 1 ! read some great stuff on these forums today especially AVRT related, think I like self flagellation , non stop 5/10/14 day quits Going To NYC this week, I want this holiday so badly to be alcohol free, I am bringing the rational recovery book with me and am going to read it on plane/hotel etc etc, I have to make this quit work there is no other choice. I am putting myself through non stop angst by stopping starting, never ever give myself time heal, so sick of it all.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

*peeks in* Hi October-ers! *waves*
My sober date is 10-1-11, so I'l like to start posting in here. I'm running to meet a neighbor to play yhatzee in a minute here, but afterward, I'd love to read through the thread!

Hope everyone is well!

ZenJen