Notices

Class of October 2011

Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
Sitting here at work reading SR, playing solitare. I have a ton of work to do, but can seem to get motivated to do it. I dont know if it's just that I am newly sober, again, or if in fact, I hate my job. I have drunk at work before. I would go to an AA meeting at lunch, but I couldn't handle the thought of going back to my office afterwards, so I would get a bottle. I basicly work alone, there are two other women, but we work independantly. I am lonley. I dont like my job and I want to go home and crawl under the covers.
I get that way until I hit about a week sober, then all of a sudden I'm finding things to do that I normally wouldn't even try. Another thing that helps (maybe mental for me) is to take a good multivitamin for a few days. I take 1 and a b-complex once a week (Sundays).
Old 10-12-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Originally Posted by Miela View Post
Well done everyone

Coming to the end of day 4 for me. I'm very tired and a bit moody still. I've discovered that now I'm not drinking alcohol in the evening, I'm not drinking anything at all and consequently am quite dehydrated. All I seem to be drinking is my usual ~4 coffees during the day, I'm drinking nothing else. Anyone else find this?

Keep up the good work everyone!

M
They supply spring water stations at work, so I got in the habit of drinking around 8 glasses throughout the day, now it's just habit. I think it helps to flush those toxins out and to aid in the joints. After you cease alcohol, there is an acid buildup in the joints that has to eventually go away. Water can help soften the areas in the joints. Probably notice you get achy after a few days, alcohol masks that until it's taken away for a few days.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi all,

A good day today, Day 4. Swam a mile at the gym (I've been doing this lately but first time since last week). Going through work emails and voicemails, I'm amazed at how much small stuff I've let slide. Nothing major, but man, the evidence that the last few weeks were out of control is undeniable.

Going to cook a nice meal tonight and hopefully watch a movie.

The other thing I've noticed today is my interest in old hobbies is picking up. Things that a few months ago I would think, "No, I'm over that..."... today I'm thinking, "No you're not. You enjoy that hobby."

Kindling is a terrible thing.

Stay strong!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Went for a walk today and wound up going by the neighborhood pub. I thought a little bit about how nice it would be to stop in, sit outside and have one (let's really make that 4) pints. But then I went on and saw all these people in the park doing things like running, biking, playing soccer, sailing and just plain sitting outside and staring at the view. It made me realize that my whole life outside of work recently has mainly been drinking. How boring. It's hard to take up new activities when you're either drinking or feeling hungover (or working). I need some new hobbies.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Tough day; thought I was going to break yesterday. Went to work clear headed for the 2nd time this week. Walk in and someone tells me a friend of mine has ovarian cancer. I could hear a beer crack open and I wanted to down it. I stayed up late thinking of her; scared for her; I prayed instead of drinking. ~Gnite
Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your friend Tiki,

D
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Day 4 today - slept better last night, still kept waking up but longer periods of sleep between. Good so far but dreading the weekend!
Really want to be done with it this time - what's my life if I can't be content without a glass in my hand? Want to do those normal things people here keep talking about - a walk in the park, reading a book at night. Actually reading a book at night would be great - never used to do it when I drank because I could never remember what I'd read, I always used to read junky magazines over and over again. Sad.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Day 11 Feel great , but just listening to a radio show Lbc where a radio presenter is basically inferring that Non drinkers are a bit boring and that being merry is the way to go , so irresponsible and so dated. Anyway brothers 40th this Saturday, big family meal at restaurant, they all drink but not heavy, would have been really looking forward to this in the past but not so much now, going to be tough I think.

Next Friday me Mrs and Daughter of to NYC for my first ever time ! Well they have been but not me, so looking forward to it but having to deal with dark thoughts about alcohol and how will I ever enjoy myself without being a able to have a beer etc, I know that its all BS and having a few beers in fact makes my heart race/disturbs sleep and starts the whole obsession/craving train again, in fact even one drink would start that train again, then my good guy mind says it would be so nice to get up early in NYC go have a walk get a coffee and feel nice and fresh so its not all bad thoughts, just basic Good V Evil stuff.

Anyway have a nice day all !
Old 10-13-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning friends,
It's been a few days since I posted because I'm experiencing natural tiredness too and going to bed early each night! ahhh. Well I'm running a little late but wanted to check in with all of you. This class seems to be going strong and I'm so happy for each of you.

DarkDays, it's good that you are starting to prepare for your brother's birthday. Try not to let it stress you out too much. Getting through each day is stressfull enough but I find it getting easier. I hope you do too. I love NYC. I think you will have a blast. Should be beautiful foliage at Central Park and there is so much to do with your family, you won't have time to think about drinking

Welcome to the newbies!

I'll post later tonight if I don't fall asleep. I have to get my a** in gear and get out of here!

Stay strong!

xo
Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Darkdays...Thanks for your thoughts about drinking being merry and sobriety being boring. There is indeed so much pressure to celebrate with alcohol. A sense that if we don't join in an alcohol toast, we are not joining in the celebration. I dread the upcoming holidays for this reason. Is it possible to have a word with your brother in advance, and let him know that you are taking a break from alcohol? Might relieve some of the pressure.

Wishing you strength as you face these big events without alcohol. You can do it. Be kind to yourself. I am so impressed by your 11 days. Have an awesome visit to NYC!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Good Morning to All! Too busy yesterday to post much - did make time to read SR though; good reminders before I go home for the day. It is great to see everyone and hear how successful this week has been. Welcome to all the new posters.

Day 4 has dawned and I'm feeling pretty good. Of course, that is a sign that I need to be hyper-vigilant going into the weekend. Thursday have always been a party night. The nights are getting better - just some sweats and vivid dreams... I'm tired all the time. Slowly, motivation to do things is coming back. Sugar cravings and hunger are easing a bit. But, I've been clear-headed. This is prime time for me to say "see I haven't got a problem".

Instead of worrying about what I'm not going to do this weekend - drink to blackout. I'm planning all the great stuff I'm going to do. Going to grocery shop and get some good healthy food planned and prepared for this weekend and next week. Trying to pick up reading again (loved it when I was younger) - have been having the same problem as General. I'm looking forward to reading something good. Also going to pick up some of my other hobbies (needlework etc.) that isn't possible to do in an altered state. Hmmm.... should also pick up some fun movies to have on hand in case I can't sleep. And - of course - I'll be on SR to read and read as needed.

I think I can see why a lot of people feel amazing by Day 6/7 - they made it through their first weekend!!! What a feeling of success!

What does everyone else have planned for the weekend? How are you preparing to cope?

p.s. I'm finding the Gratitude Threads to be an awesome tool. It's really helping me to remember all the good in my life - even if it is just that I get another chance to try again.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Day 11 Feel great , but just listening to a radio show Lbc where a radio presenter is basically inferring that Non drinkers are a bit boring and that being merry is the way to go , so irresponsible and so dated. Anyway brothers 40th this Saturday, big family meal at restaurant, they all drink but not heavy, would have been really looking forward to this in the past but not so much now, going to be tough I think.

Next Friday me Mrs and Daughter of to NYC for my first ever time ! Well they have been but not me, so looking forward to it but having to deal with dark thoughts about alcohol and how will I ever enjoy myself without being a able to have a beer etc, I know that its all BS and having a few beers in fact makes my heart race/disturbs sleep and starts the whole obsession/craving train again, in fact even one drink would start that train again, then my good guy mind says it would be so nice to get up early in NYC go have a walk get a coffee and feel nice and fresh so its not all bad thoughts, just basic Good V Evil stuff.

Anyway have a nice day all !
Good Luck at your brother's birthday! Do you have plans on how to stay strong? Maybe read some SR before you leave? Have a list of reasons to stay sober in your pocket? Maybe you could "step away to make a phone call" or something (and read your list) when the waiter comes around to take drink orders. Have your wife order you a coffee or good lemonade or something.... By the time you get through the first round you won't want any because you'll be having such a great time you will realize that you don't need it

You'll have an awesome time in NYC. It is a fun place. Just keep imagining being at Rockefeller Ctr. with an awesome cup of coffee and your proud, happy wife and daughter. Such great memories you'll make (and remember ) Maybe, between now and then, you can start planning all the activities you want to do, places you want to see..... Get a city map and start planning all your fun plans.

Before you know it, you'll have a couple more weeks in the "win" column of your happy, sober life! You can do it!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
I have faith that you can make it through the dinner! You have made it this far! **{Sending positive thoughts your way.}} I love sadsoul's suggestions on how to handle things at the beginning of the dinner when the drink orders are being taken.

Originally Posted by goodcheer View Post
Darkdays...Thanks for your thoughts about drinking being merry and sobriety being boring. There is indeed so much pressure to celebrate with alcohol. A sense that if we don't join in an alcohol toast, we are not joining in the celebration. I dread the upcoming holidays for this reason.
You know what I really wish? That there was a non-alcoholic beer or wine that no one else knows is non-alcoholic....or a code word people could say to bartenders to make it appear as if we are ordering alcohol, but we're really not. LOL Would make social situations so much less awkward for people in recovery! Okay, just silly wishful thinking.

Originally Posted by sadsoul2011 View Post
This is prime time for me to say "see I haven't got a problem".
I think that's where I am right now. I keep thinking that I have just been "dramatic" about my drinking habits and that I don't really have a problem. I need someone to beat some sense into me!!

Anyway, I think it's AWESOME that you have already filled your weekend with plans. Wonderful idea! You will make it!

I ALMOST caved and drank last night. My husband went to an open mic night at a bar with a bandmate because they are seeking a frontman and thought it would be a good way to find local talent. He called me on the way home and was trying to make me feel better about my drinking habits. He said he couldn't figure out why I had such a bad hangover last Saturday morning, because I was only one drink ahead of him and unless I was sneaking drinks or got back up to drink after he fell asleep, he didn't see it as a problem...just a fluke. I don't remember fixing myself any extra drinks, and I actually have never hidden any of my drinking from him, so I really do think I was only one drink ahead of him, so I am not sure why I felt so sick the next day.

Anyway, by the end of the conversation, we were both chalking up that terrible hangover to me just drinking a little faster than I normally do, and it was a liquor we don't normally buy - some kind of rye whiskey. I told him that somehow I doubt that normal people have 6 - 8 oz of 80 proof liquor almost every night before they go to bed, like I do. He reminded me that his boss and wife drink every night and they seem like normal, successful, well-adjusted people who are good parents, yada yada. By the time I got off the phone with him, I was convinced that I have just been too hard on myself about my drinking and that it's really no big deal.

Luckily, it was midnight and I was very tired and ready for bed, so my desire to open up the liquor cabinet and have some more of that rye whiskey that made me so sick last weekend was not as strong as it would have been if it had been say, 9 or 10PM. But in my mind, I was already thinking about the weekend and the possibility of getting a bottle of wine and just having "a few" glasses to help relax me and put me more in the mood.

This morning, however, when I woke up and DIDN'T have that yucky alcohol taste in my mouth, or that confusing moment of not remembering the events of the evening, or the cloudy and depressed feeling, or the annoying (TMI) drinking diarrhea that happens the first part of the morning....I was thrilled that I did not cave and drink.

But I am afraid of what this evening will be like. I need a plan for the second after I put my daughter to bed.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

VelmaT - Congrats on hanging tough! Way to go! Victory!!

Tonight is a tough night isn't it? My husband (also a heavy drinker but with more control than me) and I often rationalize my drinking - I'm a pro at it. But NO more! I also tended to do whiskey shots with beer/wine chaser at night after the kids are in bed. I've also said that 8-10 shots of whiskey each night is not normal, but I could never just have a couple.

Have you come up with some things you like to do to stay sober?

I hop on SR before I leave work to read. Then, in the car on my way home I run down the list of everything I'm grateful for. Then, if I have to, I'll read when I get home because just recently, I've been having 1-2 shots right when I get home (trigger time). Didn't impair me dealing with the kids (yet) but got me "started". This is part of what was convincing me that I needed to change my ways.

Another little thing I've been doing is putting the kids in their room to read/play/wind down for just a little while after baths and before bed (even 15 mins. helps). While they're in their room I run to SR and read, read, read. This gets me in the right frame of mind before the major trigger time.

I envision sitting quietly reading, watching TV, doing needlework etc.. with a nice cup of hot tea and a content feeling of well-being. All the things I used to wish for when I woke up with a hangover and all the horrible feelings that used to go along with it. I'm a point where I want that sooo bad and when I think about it the desire to drink goes away. My kids are getting older and I want to be there for them and be a good example!

Stay on here and post away - I'll be on tonight We can all do it together!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Been MIA for a few days and I'm sure you guys could guess why. The past couple days have been a blur. I've been drinking to the point of blacking out which I haven't done in almost a yr probably. Going to try again and make today a sober. Also when I get home plan on finding some type of addiction councilor.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Hi everyone. Been MIA for a few days and I'm sure you guys could guess why. The past couple days have been a blur. I've been drinking to the point of blacking out which I haven't done in almost a yr probably. Going to try again and make today a sober. Also when I get home plan on finding some type of addiction councilor.
Welcome back! I'm very new here so not much advice - just encouragement - you can do it!

Getting some help sounds like a great idea. Keep posting and stay safe!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Sadsoul, glad you're on Day 4! It's good to be aware of those "see I've made it this far, I don't have a problem" thoughts.... they definitely clinked around a bit in in my head yesterday.

I'm still feeling good on Day 5, feeling like I can do this unless I allow my mind to play a trick on me or let my guard down. Not having a drink hasn't been that bad the last two days, though like many the weekend and its social opportunities worry me a bit.

Stay strong everyone!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
Sadsoul, glad you're on Day 4! It's good to be aware of those "see I've made it this far, I don't have a problem" thoughts.... they definitely clinked around a bit in in my head yesterday.

I'm still feeling good on Day 5, feeling like I can do this unless I allow my mind to play a trick on me or let my guard down. Not having a drink hasn't been that bad the last two days, though like many the weekend and its social opportunities worry me a bit.

Stay strong everyone!
You can do it! You're already on Day 5 - just think, by Monday you'll be Day 9 (almost double digits). "Play it forward" to how great you'll feel Monday morning. Do you have plans for the weekend? How are you planning to cope?

Remember - we'll all be here over the weekend - make sure to check in
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

I'm joining the Oct 2011 class.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Well done everyone.

It's day 5 for me and I'm finding today more difficult as the day goes on. I went to the store at lunchtime and found myself walking into the alcohol section. I talked myself out of it as quick as it started, telling myself not to listen to the 'addict' side of my head and do the complete opposite of what it's saying. I felt like a kid that had just been told they weren't allowed buy candy I'm snappy and irritable again today.

So far, the positives are:
  • My eyes are much clearer
  • I've saved some money
Eh... That's it really. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Maybe I'm just in a negative mood today. What gets me is I still feel slightly hungover in the morning (possibly due to dehydration) and I'm exhausted all the time. I thought I'd be full of joie de vivre when I quit. Guess I need to be more patient (which I'm not good at!).

One hour at a time today.

M