Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

7)
Hey June crowd. Good to see we have some new people taking part in this awesome group. It is really warm here in Colorado today. I can't wait for the sun to go down so we can start cooling down a bit! I have a bunch more to get in before work, so I gotta keep it brief, I just wanted to give a quick welcome to all the new tribe-members. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

^^^ Hey we live in the same state. And yeah it's warm today, I'm loving it though. I don't do well with cold, but when it's nice and hot like this I'm in my element.

Bratnik yeah I've been trying to force myself to do something every day. Usually that just involves walking to the gas station and buying more ciggs but hey it's something.

Dee Volunteering is a good idea. I've been court ordered to before and I honestly enjoyed it. Maybe I can see if the place I was working at before needs someone.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Day 1

I read through everyone's posts to get familiar with the group. Congrats to everyone on their sobriety. It truly is a beast to deal with at times.

I wanted to just give a quick background on myself. I had trouble with drugs and alcohol (surprising?) starting when I was really young. Got cleaned up for a little over two years. Started wondering if I could return to "normal" drinking again. Resumed the habit late last summer. Held it together for a while but things got rocky. Withdrew from all my classes last semester because I was too drunk, or hungover, to study.

For the past few months, I'll get a few days under my belt, the pink cloud hits, and I go right back to the sauce. I'm here to check in and have some accountability to prevent that. My plan is to start going to AA and get involved in the process. I'm an avid exerciser so I'll be using that as a tool for releasing energy. Weight lifting/HIIT in the morning and a long, slow run in the evening.

Thanks for reading everyone. I look forward to tackling this monster together.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
instant

Hi to all the newcomers- wishing you strength.

Day 30 for me winding down. My fourth start to the week without the usual internal recriminations, physical problems and hangover workarounds- I am in a much better place than where I was. The sleep is fantastic. Now I have to hang onto what I have gained. A challenge for me will be to learn skills to deal with situations were I feel put upon and stuffed around. I had a couple of situations today and I feel the anger and resentment start (only smalltime). I am working on gratitude which I think will really help. Maintaining my surrender.

June is in full swing- and I am so pleased to be on this thread- Take care all
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hi Juners
I can now officially join the club, having quit on target, exactly 10 hours ago.
Thought I'd share with you what my lovely wife wrote on the mirror this morning...

"Today I make my first step towards a new life. My legs are heavy and the road is tough, but I know I'm going to a wonderful place. With every step I'm closer to it and my legs and heart will ease up during my journey. I know it's worth every effort!"

Nice words, I thought.

I'm not having any fun at all, but am just taking each moment as it comes.

Warm regards and "bon courage" as we say here in France,
The Artist Formerly Known As AlcoAbroad
Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread AlcoAbroad

D
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Morning all and welcome to all the newcomers - we're getting quite a crowd.

Day 10 - lovely day here in outer London. Saw a friend (one of the few true non AA ones left) cycling up the hill on my way back from dropping my daughters at school. She invited me in for a coffee and we had a good natter for an hour. She already knows about my drinking and that I am in AA so it was great to be able to talk about it openly with a "normie". Spending that bit of time with a friend has set me up for the day. Sometimes I need reminding that I am able to make conversation without needing a drink - I got to the stage where I froze up alot towards the end and thought I was unable to converse without the booze outside of work.

I hope everyone else is having a good day as well.

Im grateful for:-

The fantastic nights sleep I had
Seeing my friend and the opportunity to chat with her
My daughters, house and job
The lovely sunshine today
My 10th day sober
The moon and the stars!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Day 2

Good morning everyone! I'm glad to be a part of this group and I look forward to getting sober days behind me with you all. Reading everyone's posts helps me a lot. It's good to know I'm not alone in this struggle.

Instant - Your posts are very helpful for those of us just getting started. It's good to know that sobriety gets better as the days pass. I can empathize with your fear when dealing with negative situations throughout the journey. I find that my desire to drink increases exponentially when I feel I've been wronged by someone. Decreasing my sensitivity to feeling slighted will be paramount to my success.

AlcoAbroad - Welcome to the June group. I wish you the best with your journey.

I didn't sleep at all last night. I decided to just get up and start the day after thrashing around in my bed for a few hours. I know it'll get better and I will not be drinking today. My life, education, and success depends on it. Have a happy Tuesday everybody!

Last edited by ForLove; 06-14-2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Good morning,
Well made it my 1st day. It is crazy how much the devil tempts you. Yesterday after work I went to the market and the beer was on clearance rack. 6 pack for $3 and a tall can for $1. I thought wow that sucks, but I stayed strong and kept walking.
Later last night a gave my brother in law a ride home and we stopped to put gas. He bought himself a beer and offered me one. I declined and he said "are you sure?" I said ya I am trying to quit. He said good for you, (knowing how hard it is himself) I just thought to myself, where were all these deals and free offers for beer last week?
Oh well, I am proud to wake up sober this morning and being strong yesterday.
I hope all of you are all keep in strong as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Forlove - I too, have always used alcohol as a "weapon" to get back at the world when I have felt wronged. Even through years of therapy it still lingers as my number one "ammo". Just a few days ago I posted for advice on what to do when you can't control the world around you and the knee-jerk instinct is to drink. There was some great advice there. I would guide you to the link, but I don't know how (i'm only on day 10 and still learning the site) Lots of us are struggling with that and hope it helps you to know you aren't alone. I am learning I only hurt myself when I retaliate in that method - it's not solving or helping anything. I'll continue with that struggle - but with the help from everyone here I am anxious to change the pattern.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 3 still feeling down and shaky, but much better than yesterday.

The mornings seem to be toughest for me (I used to wake up and drink to stop the shakes). As the day goes on though, I feel better and better.

I'm also unemployed and the free time is a huge temptation to drink. I find that going out and taking a walk or run help relieve the anxiety though.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Put on Paxil

Great to read some of these posts....

Day 6 and the anxiety is getting intolerable. problem is, last month when I was on day 30 and 40 and 50 the anxiety was just as bad, telling me it was just suppressed general anxiety disorder and not all just alcohol w/d. Took my first Paxil- heck, my first anything- today, after my MD rx'd it yesterday. Hoping it facilitates my therapy and hoping for only 60 or so days of it. Anyone ever had any experience with it? I'm told 10 mg is a low dose.

Going camping with the kids tonite. Sweet...dreams.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

I came from a very abusive childhood. I've always been anxious and was diagnosed with GAD. I've been on Paxil and it helped a lot for depression, not so much for anxiety though.

I think the reasons I started drinking was because of my GAD. Unfortunately the drinking made my anxiety and depression much worse over time.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Hanging in There

8)
Hey all--,
I am having a decent week so far, I hope the same can be said for all Juners. It sure seems like this group is growing rather quickly, people must be feeling all the good vibes this group sends out!
4tk-- I sure hope you have a blast camping! I hope the weather cooperates with your plans and you find some peace in nature.There is nothing like a night or two away from society to clear the head and catch some breath.

I have a question. What is the "pink haze" everyone is referring to? I've seen it a few times now and the context in which it appears doesn't really lead me toward a definitive answer.

Pump--, It must be nice having a, what did you call them "normie", around to talk about your battles. The only person I have to discuss my stuff with is my shrink. She is well worth the money, but hey, if you can find that sort of confidential relationship for free, more power to you!

I have to go see my mom tomorrow, so I am a bit anxious about how that is going to go. I can feel my wife already anticipating what usually comes from a visit with my mom, so things are a little tense around here. On top of that, she is working a ton lately and must travel again next week. All of my work shifts are in the evening, so we aren't getting to see each other much at all lately.

Pressure is building, and I must find a way to manage it. I have something scheduled for every day of the week which will keep me busy, and I have been putting some decent miles on my Asics in an effort to stave off the creeping thoughts. I also have a pretty good line on a teaching gig for the fall, so now is the time for me to really make the push and set up a new chapter in my life. I have done this before and I will do it again; day 8 is just the beginning!

There were many more posts I wanted to reply to, however it seems like when I try to go back to review who said what, when I returned to the text box, all my work was gone. Does anybody have a way, other than copying and pasting, to get back to the thread's posts (previous pages) without losing all of the words?

Have a great day Juners!

PN
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only way I know to do that is to open each page of the thread you're reading on a separate tab PN

The pink cloud? It's not a term I use but this explains it pretty well -
A Pink Cloud? | Blisstree

A lot of folks seem to see it as a false thing, a thing to look out for, but I know many folks here - CarolD and Rusty Zipper come to mind - who happily insist recovery still gives them that feeling and after years, they're still on their pink clouds

D
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

DAY TWO - HELP

Just passed the 24 hour mark. I know we're not supposed to solicit medical opinion but I just want to know if something's normal or not and I hope that's allowed.

I didn't know their would be this much physical pain. I knew I'd feel lousy, knew about the dangers of DTs and a lot of other stuff. However the pain in my stomach, back and other places is just getting so much worse.

Is this normal? I don't even know if I can take painkillers. (I'm not on anything else.)

Any help appreciated, thanks,

AlcoAbroad
Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Administrator

Generally, any pain is always a sign thats somethings wrong Alco.
Please see your Dr. - it's especially important to do so now you're detoxing.

Thats the best advice you'll get here

D
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hi Dee74

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, I'll see him when he gets in (it's 1am here).

Best regards
AlcoAbroad
Old 06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlcoAbroad View Post
DAY TWO - HELP

Just passed the 24 hour mark. I know we're not supposed to solicit medical opinion but I just want to know if something's normal or not and I hope that's allowed.

I didn't know their would be this much physical pain. I knew I'd feel lousy, knew about the dangers of DTs and a lot of other stuff. However the pain in my stomach, back and other places is just getting so much worse.

Is this normal? I don't even know if I can take painkillers. (I'm not on anything else.)

Any help appreciated, thanks,

AlcoAbroad
I also had gnarly muscle cramps.

My day 2 was bad. In the US, if you have good health insurance they have inpatient detox clinics (they detox you in 5-7 days). I was also told I could go to a medical doctor and get meds to ease the pain.

If things got really bad, I would do either of the two options. (I'm currently on the evening of day 3 and I feel much better.)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I second seeing if you can get into detox. The week I was in there helped me so much. I don't think I could have gotten though the first few days without it. I went mainly because I got really suicidal. So I can't say much about what they would do for pain. But I know that they will help you through that. It was also nice to have people there for me because I went through some really horrible emotional ups and downs.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. You can get through this.

Is anyone else having problems with time and memory? The days keep blurring together for me. I was trying to count how many days I had and I kept forgetting how many days it's been or what day of the week it was. Everything just seems hazy and foggy and all mushed together.

It took me forever but I figured out that I have 12 days.