Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely had time and memory hassles Cherry. I was really foggy for a while.
It's pretty normal I think

D
Old 06-15-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
instant

My thoughts are with you alco, cherryD I hope the fog lifts.

I am having some ideas about drinking that crop up unannounced- how am I going to reward myself now ? I'll work on it. At the moment the plan is an early night

Take care all
Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of ways to celebrate and reward yourself instant - you're only limited by your imagination really

D
Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Cherry - good job on 12 days! You are and will always be 2 days ahead of me!!!

While I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms I have noticed in the past week that my short term memory is CRAP. For some reason I feel like my brain is so used to blacking out that it is still doing it - or something (i'm not really blacking out - just looking back is hazy). For the life of me I couldn't remember what I ate for lunch 2 days ago. I would remember, then forget again. I sure hope this is not permanent. I'm foggy at times and more alert at others. Hoping it can all even out.

Instant - I started having some small hints of wanting to drink yesterday too. I put on some sweats, popped some popcorn with a big glass of iced tea (and some gummi bears) and curled up with my pup on the couch and watched bad tv. It was actually more indulgent, I think!! And I knew that the last thing I wanted was a hangover this morning. I think that is my biggest deterrent. I was living with wicked hangovers for awhile. Waking up clear and hydrated is a gift.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Today is half way through Day 3. It was real hard yesterday. I was real depressed and desperate. I wanted to cry but couldn't. I was thinking of the past (at least 6 yrs back) and wishing I could go back. Back to that life, back to the fun, back to the friends I have parted with (not due to drinking at all). It was just a real downer day all day yesterday. Luckily there were no booze in the house or I would of downed it.
This morning I made myself get up at 5:am and work out to a taebo video for the first time.
I worked out and am now at work and I am truely happy to have woken up sober and accomplished a small workout. I feel great for that. Still depressed but I feel clear headed and greatful as well.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

scared1, i am too about 1/2 done with day 3. unfortunately this time, it's not easy for me at all, still sick... still cannot eat. but i am feeling only so slightly better (there's a little more hope for tomorrow). i do pray for sleep... as i've only had a few hours in the past days. night time is the worst for me.

p.s. and i do know what you mean about thinking 6 years back and remembering all the fun/crazy/blissful moments. i can only hope to look back at this in 6 years and say: "i've come a long, and very positive, way since then".
Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome classical

Serious I hope you feel better soon. Maybe consider seeing a Dr if not?

D
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Can I join the Juners? Day one for me. I was a Marcher, but fell off the bus. Classical, we can start together, huh?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Welcome Classical and Lofty!

I'm doing pretty good. I had a job interview this afternoon, I'm really hoping I get it. I felt really good and the guy seemed to like me. It's the one at Ihop so no alcohol is served there, which will be really helpful. I'm not sure I could handle working around the stuff right now.

But the only problem is that I might have to work the late night weekend shift. In other words the drunk munchie shift. But that might not be too bad.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Welcome Classical and Lofty!

CherryD - best of luck on the job! Maybe seeing people act dumb and drunk can be a good reminder of what NOT to be anymore!!! It's always so funny when I am sober and around drunk people how ridiculous they are. (and no high horse here, I was the drunk more than the sane sober one!)
Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back lofty - best of luck Cherry

D
Old 06-15-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to join this group. I've been lurking for four days and have already found so much good advice, and have read so many inspirational stories on this site. Today is day 4 for me. Cravings haven't been too bad because of the site and because I had such an awful drunken experience on Saturday that I think I finally hit bottom and made up my mind not to drink anymore.

Thanks! I hope everyone had a great day!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Amanda

D
Old 06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! I just read through the posts from the past few days. It's great to see so many new Juners onboard. Congrats to you all and I hope everyone is feeling well today.

Pumpkin and Citilights - thank you for the well wishes and I hope you are both feeling good today. My surgery is next week and I'm a little nervous. I'll probably spend a lot of time here over the next few weeks while I'm doing double-recovery. Pumpkin it sounds like you're feeling a little better now. I'm glad for you. The lady problems are a drag, but we're tough and we get through it!

Cherry lol about the ciggs. I know the feeling, and that's my next fish to fry. Congrats on the job hunting and good interview! It could be once you start working the days will seem clearer to you.

4theKidz - I went on paxil for about a year several years back to help with anxiety. A 10 mg dose as well. There were side effects, but over-all it did help in the sense that I used to be very shy unless I was drunk. However, the paxil seemed to make my filter fall off! Anyway, years later/no paxil - my filter has returned but it works properly now (for the most part

So I'm on day 12 now. I feel so much better and I guess it shows. My friend told me yesterday I looked beautiful. I haven't heard that in years. Guess I was really doing a number on myself.

This past weekend I took advantage of my presently firm resolve to face the alcohol demon head-on. I went out clubbing one night and didn't touch a drop inspite of several offers. I had dinner with a friend who had a drink and I stuck to soda water and lime. Hung out after work with a couple people who were drinking beer and wine. And I've been stopping by my favorite packie to buy cigs. I've had to say 'no thank you' dozens of times.

There are few people I know who rarely drink if they drink at all. I know I can't isolate myself because it's not healthy for me. So I want to be able to deal with it. I think most important to my success will be when I start dating again, to only date men who rarely drink and don't smoke, do drugs etc. I need a sober partner for sure. But aside from that, I think I can deal with the rest. ... I hope ...

Dee I wanted to say thank you for being such a welcoming and supportive moderator. You're right there for all of us and I know we all appreciate your commitment to the group and your willingness to share all of your insight.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hi Juners

I just thought I'd update you on my posting above about terrible stomach pains I was getting towards the end of Day One.

I have inflammation of the stomach lining and colon, a kind of gastroenteritis, according to my doc. It seems this was brought on by changing my diet when I quit. I was drinking far too much orange juice and eating fruits, and not enough 'normal' food. I now have meds for this and the pains should be way down in the next couple of days.

So it wasn't directly caused by quitting alcohol and I didn't want anyone (who is thinking of quitting) worrying about that. In my case it was simply that I OD'd on too much fruity acid!

I'm now on Day Three and it's great to wake up sober each morning! Detoxing isn't easy but with the right medical and other forms of support we can all do it.

Good luck to all
Alco
Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're ok AlcoAbroad, and welcome Amanda.

Bratnik- yeah I'm sure that could be good for me to see. Or at least entertaining. I've been in this same restaurant completely f*cked up and making an ass out of myself many many times.

I can't decide if this is just me being tired or what. But I am feeling super low right now and close to tears. I think it might be a combination of getting sunburned today, not sleeping well last night, horrible allergies and the fact that I've been barely eating the past few days. Because there really is no reason for me to be upset. I had a great day.

I've got a question though. I would kill for a good night's sleep right now and my allergies are horrible. I've got some benedryl so I was thinking I could take that to help me sleep tonight. It definitely makes me drowsy and helps with the allergies.

But I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I have a super addictive personality, if I could smoke peas and get high I'd be addicted to that. So I'm worried if I did that tonight I'd become dependent on it. I just feel so miserable right now.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people have posted over on the substance abuse board about being addicted to benedryl, Cherry.

If it was me, with my history, it wouldn't be worth the risk.

D
Old 06-16-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
instant

HI all. My thoughts are with everyone in the first week- wishing you strength. I am now at day 32. It gets better, and life is good. I am still finding it all very strange, but it is very enjoyable. The main thing is I am calmer, less "reactive", I have far more peace of mind. The torment I have been living in and with for so long is not with me. I still have that 'strange attraction' to a substance that is so dangerous for me.

I am in a very delicate but special place that I need to learn how to nurture and not take for granted.

Rock on the weekend !!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome, Amandaw. Your excellent journey has begun. This site is full of angels to help us with our daily struggles. With this decision, my personal angels will not be tired each day keeping me out of trouble and getting my home safely, so they'll now have time to enrich my life in other ways for my betterment and to the Gods glory. Keep at it!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!! I guess I'm gonna hunker down and join the June class~~ I came on board September '10 and went over 100 days on my first attempt.

Last time I didn't quit the ciggies and I think with booze and cigs going hand in hand I never really let go. Today is #20 w/out alcohol AND cigarrettes so that's pretty nice!

Speaking as someone who has been down the path before, don't get discouraged and never lose your focus. It get's better as time goes on. Everyone is doing great!