Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Giggle

D
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

into week 5

Hi everyone I am now 5 weeks sober.. I didn't post on this site until May so thats why I feel at home in this thread! Hope everyones going good! I have a bit o spare time up my sleave the next few days so have gone on a bit of a holiday. I think it's a good chance to study the big book a bit and reflect on life in general! I have been getting sick about every 2 weeks for the last year or so. Since I have stopped drinking I haven't had a cold or been sick once (fingures crossed). I have been eating quite a lot due to boredom the last few weeks hopefully I can reflect on that these next few weeks and make some changes.

How is everyone else going? Looking forward to being in this forum still one year from now!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

CoyotePete--, I took my wife out for a date a couple weekends ago and we had a tremendous time. It is great going out and being sober and social with the significant other, it kinda feels like a first date again when alcohol isn't the third wheel! Make a date night if you are able to do so on one night, and then try staying in and doing something else at home on the other. Do you guys have any common interests or hobbies? Shoot even a board game or reading together feels great when you are sober and reestablishing the connection that brought you two together! Good luck!

I also appreciate you taking the time to read the other post from a couple days ago. I know I've got work to do with my mom, I know I've got to take care of my wife and kid and that they should, and do, come first. The trick is knowing when to pull that card with my mom. I'll figure it out; I am committed to being the best man I can. Thanks for the support!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, had to recreate another account because I couldn't remember my username or email I had created about two years ago.....probably the booze clouding everything up. Anyway, woke up today and decided it I was going to get my head out of my ass and get serious about my drinking...so....hit up a noon AA meeting and another one at 7. Picked up the Big Book at the meeting tonight and am into 4 chapters already. I've told myself for years that I could quit whenever I wanted to....it's easy right....just don't drink! HAH! What a joke......for 20 years now I haven't stood a chance against the booze......When you realize how your drinking harms those around you and you don't do anything about it....then you have a problem. I came to that realization today...I'm powerless and I can't do it on my own......I swore that the AA meetings weren't for me but I now know that they are a HUGE influence and a MAJOR part of the recovery process......I've been a "professional drinker" for 20+ years, time to be good at something else......
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Black Francis!

Welcome back to SR. I can relate to what you mean about the cloudiness and memory! I was starting to forget good friends names!

I think realising that we are powerless is a great important first step. I have also had problems with alcahol for years and have tried giving up before. Whats different this time is that I am committed to the 12 steps and AA. Hope to see you as a regular in the June thread!

Cairns
Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone. Today I have far more peace of mind. The obsessional quality of focusing on alcohol and related issues is present a lot, but there is more mental space. I am much more at ease. I have decided to focus on gratitude to fill up the space in my mind. I have put off more vigorous exercise for the weekend. I went for a short walk at lunch time and it was amazing just to notice and think about all the normal things I have taken for granted.

I'm now getting to a stage I can make sensible decisions. In the past after a few weeks not drinking I had powerful urges come 'out of the blue' so I am very mindful of my risk. Take care all.

Last edited by instant; 06-09-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: missing word and spelling
Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm still here anyway. Day 10 now and we're approaching another weekend (my tough time).

I was at the gym on Monday and Wednesday this week and will be going again tomorrow.

I mainly use the weights and have spotted a very high quality set complete with the required rack and bench for a little over 900 euro.

That's quite a lot of money considering I only pay 15 euro per month for my current gym. However, if I had the gear at home, there'd be no time wasted travelling to and from the gym or waiting for the weights to be free when the gym is busy. I'd also not feel pressurised to finish quick when other people are waiting on the equipment. Finally, I'd probably be able to invite friends around for a training session at times (a couple are members of other gyms).

Therefore, I've decided to allocate 100 euro per sober week (less than I'd spend on drink) to a fund to purchase the set. I'm already sober a week so, if I remain sober until 2nd August, I'll buy the equipment in the knowledge that, had I not quit drinking, the money would have been spent on booze.

That gives me a tangible target and, as it's excercise equipment, a follow-on plan - I won't want to drink after purchasing it because:
  1. I've been sober for 9 weeks already
  2. I want to make proper use of the equipment

That's the plan anyway and I'm confident that it's achievable.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back BlackFrancis

D
Old 06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

3rd day- Ah, it feels good to have that separation! Withdrawals have turned out to be minimal, what a relief. Although I do have a sore throat I can't seem to shake. I have to hit the books hard again today, when I need a break I'll head out for a quick lap or two around the lake; the weather is cool and overcast, perfect for a nice run! it'sabouttime, that sounds like one heckuva plan! You're are going to be one svelte individual by the time it is all said and done. I like the fact that you have a week by week plan, it will give you a chance to really break things into shorter parts, and before you know it, you will have your very own personal gym! Nothing like saving money and waking up with the energy to get your body into peak physical condition! What is your end-goal for your body? Do you aim to be toned? slim? friggin' huge?

Have a great day everybody, I'll check in with you all this evening. Let's all have another victory!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

itsabouttime, I'm on day 10 as well! Today has been good so far for me, but I do feel the weekend approaching... I feel like I'm going to be ok though. Last weekend I watched the documentary Rain in my Heart that somebody recommended watching on this website and ever since I watched that, I feel like something has crossed over in me. I still feel the mental battle, but it's like I KNOW that I just don't have the option to drink anymore. It's a very strange (but good!) feeling. As I was watching that movie, I just kept thinking "what a waste of life". That was the singular thought that I had with me. I looked at my own life and am just resolved now that I'm done. If any of you haven't watched it, I encourage you to. It's sad and graphic but it really puts things into perspective.
Anyway...it is BEAUTIFUL here in the midwest today so I am going to enjoy this incredible day!! I wish all of you a peaceful sober day today!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Less of the talk about good weather... the rain is pouring down here in Ireland.... lol :-)

Regarding my plans, I've already lost the amount of weight I want to lose - about 25 lbs during the past year.

I now want to pack on a little muscle, but not get totally huge. Also, a six-pack for the first time in my life would be nice :-)

I've been going to the gym for quite a while but progress is slow because I've been drinking and, as a result, missing sessions and eating crap when drunk or hungover. That's all about to change :-)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
clear coyote

25lb?!?!? Tremendous effort
Used to hate myself for the rubbish I ate when hungover
Glad those days are gone

Papa: thanks for the tips, I shall go with them

Saphira: glad u are well, let's all help each other thru the weekend*
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clearcoyote View Post
25lb?!?!? Tremendous effort
Yeah, but it should have been a lot easier. I cycle to and from work (8 mile each way) daily and went to the gym an average of 4 times a week.

It should be possible to lose 25lbs in 3 months but it took me longer because I'd lost 1-2 lbs during the week and put most of it back on over the (sometimes long) weekends.

Right now, I'm continuing to cycle to work and going to the gym three times a week but I'm adding a little extra food each week until I notice my weight starting to creep up again. Then I'll know how much I have to eat to enable me to pack on a little muscle.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Day 1, post 1. not looking forward to this.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
clear coyote

welcome JHM.. this is a great place to start

itsa.. me too, I run, go to the gym, play tennis & recently have only maintained my current weight
alcohol has a significant detrimental effect on my diet, especially on hungover but dry days
Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, JHM74
You'll find a lot of support on this site.

D
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone and welcome to JHM74. Day 26 for me. Weekends were my big drinking times. Over recent years I have not looked forward to them on one level. I knew I would struggle with the day hungover, get caught in an emotional tangle with myself, feeling angry and isolated, not get anything done and crawl into the working week hungover, desperate and with not much to give. Such were the benefits of alcohol in my life. I really struggled when I was looking forward to the buzz. I am really thankful that I was able to resist on that first weekend. I am finding peace, and SR has been a gift.

wishing you all a great day and JHM74 I hope you can take heart in your resolve as you withdraw

Last edited by instant; 06-09-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: needed to add a bit
Old 06-09-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Angry

After 53 sober days, I had a huge failure. Crap. All those who said I should have avoided Atlantic City were absolutely right. I couldn't handle it. I feel miserable on so many levels. Goodbye April club, Hello Juners. Effin' day # 1.

However, My resolve is stronger than ever.....
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Ouch 4thekids.

Sorry for lurking here but I'm a Mayer thats checking June posts to try to remember what detox is like. I feel like at the rate I'm going I'll be with you guys soon.

Can you share what happened 4tk or do you not want to talk about it? I feel like you might be able help some of us avoid the same mistake.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

4thekidz--> It is really tough when you have to start over on "effin' day one," I could not think of better words to sum up the feeling. Hang tough and there seems to be a lot of really cool and supportive people in the June gang. I am thoroughly in awe of your huge accomplishment of making it 53 days! What does it take, in your opinion, to get to the one and two month markers and beyond?

To the rest of the June Clan--, I didn't get my run in today but I ate healthily all day long! With the weight of the test bearing down on me, I guess my body wants brain food for all of the prep I am doing. I put in a solid 6 hours today before having to go to work for 5 hours, so I am bushed... sober and bushed!

I am going to set the coffee pot on strong brew for tomorrow so I can hit the books hard for one more day! Tomorrow I will also run some hills hard and fast to make up for the skipped workout today.

Gonna keep it brief for tonight, But I hope you all have great dreams and even better Fridays.

JHM74--, I hope you find this site as welcoming and useful as all of us do. It makes an immeasurable difference being able to find people whom you can trust and work with in achieving your goals. Welcome to the June Clan