Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Paddy you are doing well if you want to eat much today - day 1 I had next to nothing, yesterday just a tiny bit to keep me going but a fairly decent dinner - today my appetite seems back to normal - sorry if im boring you I just thought you may like to compare.

My local town meeting is on Thursday too although there are plenty around not far away most nights.

I like getting in from work and feeling able to prepare a nice dinner for me and the girls if they are here (which they are most of the time) and it not feel like a chore or a mountain to climb just to get the basics done. I cant shake off a gloomy feeling today but maybe it will be gone tomorrow.

Dinner is nearly ready just waiting for the pasta - it looks and smells gooooood

PS x
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Pumpkin Soup;2992849]Paddy you are doing well if you want to eat much today - day 1 I had next to nothing, yesterday just a tiny bit to keep me going but a fairly decent dinner - today my appetite seems back to normal - sorry if im boring you I just thought you may like to compare.

My local town meeting is on Thursday too although there are plenty around not far away most nights.

I like getting in from work and feeling able to prepare a nice dinner for me and the girls if they are here (which they are most of the time) and it not feel like a chore or a mountain to climb just to get the basics done. I cant shake off a gloomy feeling today but maybe it will be gone tomorrow.

Dinner is nearly ready just waiting for the pasta - it looks and smells gooooood

PS x[/QUOTe

Enjoy it hun, the thought of food at the moment turns my stomach

How is every one else doing today???????
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I'm feeling great at the moment - although it's the weekends that I find tough. During the week is never a problem for me unless it's spillover from the weekend and I haven't drank in over a week.

I'm pretty tired but that's mainly because I've got into a routine of going to the gym before work. I may consider switching that to evenings at some point if I don't find myself getting used to the new routine - at the moment, I think I'd be tired even if I went in the evening. The other problems with the evenings is that the place is too packed and you've to queue for the weights.

I'm putting the money that I would have spent on booze away and will be able to buy a good weights set when I hit the one-month mark. That'll reinforce the advantages of not drinking because I'll have something tangible with the money that would've been spent on booze otherwise :-)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
clear coyote

glad everyone seems to be battling thru the day ok

my first target is to focus on a feeling of well being on saturday and sunday morning this weekend. nothing beats that feeling of waking up with a clear head on weekend mornings and thinking 'whooopeee' (or 'thank *insert expletive*!') I plan to be active with my family rather than stay in bed until lunchtime and reluctantly interact until the first glass.

between now and then I have some other targets (I believe in positive targets rather than "do not drink" etc) they are:

-drink lots of water (nice and easy that one but sssooo easy to forget )
-drink fruit juice / vegetable juice
-make smoothies (I like soya milk / oats / banana / strawbs)
-eat lean protein / good carbs / veg
-take vitamin supplements
-exercise daily (maybe only 1/2 hour but make sure the heart thumps)

nothing too drastic I know but these changes do make me feel better.

Pete
Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
instant

HI everyone
I need to be honest- I lied yesterday saying I was day 24- it's actually 24 today- it's a good sign that I am starting to lose track. Alcohol and related issues are usually the first thing on my mind in the morning as soon as I wake up. That may not have been the case today, I thought about all kinds of other stuff as well in that first five minutes. I feel a lot more at ease. Physically I feel so much better. I have not been motivated to exercise- but change is coming.

Hang in there Paddy
Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey gang--, Sign me up for the class of June, today will be another day 1. I know I have only myself to blame, but I have had a real struggle with my mother through the past 5 days. These struggles put an abrupt end to a wonderful 14 day "winning streak" of which I was truly proud.

I will be posting the details of these struggles in the newcomers to recovery forum in an effort to get some additional feedback, so if you have the time to read and/or respond, I would love the support.

Thanks SR friends
Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi all.

I'm on board for the June class! Day 2 for me right now.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reed22 View Post
Hi all.

I'm on board for the June class! Day 2 for me right now.
Hi Reed, glad we have a 2 dayer, as now you will always be 1 day in front, and i wont need to count .Good luck
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Day 1 again for me!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back ClearCoyote & welcome Reed

I'll look out for that thread PN.

hope everyone else is doing ok

D
Old 06-07-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Today has been a great day for me! Like Itsabouttime, I do ok during the week. It's the weekends that are the challenge for me. But my son's school year is winding down, I had good quality "girl time" with my 5-year-old niece today, and now I'm about to start grillin' some pork chops and corn on the cob... yum. Definitely a good day. Hope everyone else is doing well this evening!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi All. Glad to see everyone's doing so well! Today was funny day but I made it through with a bit of anxiety. No cravings fortunately. Spent the evening with my son which was a total pleasure! Looking forward to day 5.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:45 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
instant

Hi Guys . I noticed some distinct times today when I realised I was not thinking about alcohol/ not drinking/ recovering/the negatives I have inflicted on myself. I was noticeably more productive, more relaxed and (I believe) more helpful to my colleagues. My pants are getting loose, I had to tighten the belt- despite the chocolate. Whilst I am on the chocolate issue the hunger for sweets is diminishing.

I took time to savour some moments just experiencing and reminding myself to be grateful (I can't recall which board member emphasises this- although I am grateful for that to). It puts my attention outside of "me" and it is very pleasant.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Here's to a great sober Wednesday!!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hello friends,

Just back from an unpleasant trip to the dentist - took a valium and was numbed up more than once - they had to keep stopping and starting cos it was so close to the nerve. So glad that is over now. It would of been an even worse experience with a hangover though! I have to go back next week to have the inlay put in but that shouldnt be quite as bad as today - no more drilling at least. Could do with a coffee but my mouth is all over the place and itd just dribble down me! Oh well ive been in much worse states when ive been Pi**ed!

Itsabouttime - good for you keeping up with the gym and putting the money aside for the weights is a good incentive.

Clearcoyote - I liked your positive targets, thinking about "not drinking" all the time is definately a downer - im going to copy your idea and focus on things to look forward to and that I can do to improve things in general.

Instant - down worry about getting the days mixed up - I say im on day 4 now but ive only had 3 full days sober so far this time until I hit the sack tonight. As long as the days are sober they matter no matter what number or label we give them. I cant seem to stop myself looking forward to getting further than I have before - to get to day 18 for the first time ever since trying to stop - then to get 3 weeks - then a month etc etc. Im trying hard to keep in mind that really its all about today - thats all that matters. Glad your "pants" are getting loose - I wish mine were - made me chuckle though as in the UK pants are knickers/underpants not trousers

Welcome Papanico and Reed, glad to have you along. Sorry for your troubles with your Mum Papa - hope they resolve. Did you start the other thread? Ill have a look if you have.

Hi Deb93 - my name is Deb too - good luck on your journey.

Saphira - im glad you had a good day - there are many more coming along.

Bee - I had a funny one yesterday too - funny as in not so good but not awful. Today im in a much better mood especially now the dentist bit is over with.

I had one of my recurrant panicy dreams last night - Im kind of 3/4 asleep 1/4 awake and paralysed - im trying to scream help at the top of my voice cos I know if someone gives me a little nudge ill wake up out of it. Whilst im trying to shout it just comes out as a tiny feeble quavering voice barely more than a whisper "heeeeeeeellllllpp" and me panting for breath. Luckily my daughter heard me came in and said mum are you ok and it got me out of it. She gave me a hug and I felt fine after and back to sleep no problem. I get this sort of dream alot and im so used to it that it doesnt upset me its just distressing while its happening and it worrys me when im alone how long I would be in that state.

Oh well ive waffeld on long enough now - hope you are all having a good day.

Paddy - how are you doing today - please update us?

PS x
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey Juners! Day 2 is off to a pleasant start. I have a bunch of studying on deck for today through Friday for an exam on Saturday, so my wife took a couple of days off to look after our little one; it is great having both of them around! Also going to tray and get together with a fellow ballplayer for a nice midweek run, but I am having some respiratory issues as a result of those wildfires burning in Arizona and New Mexico, so it may end up being a quick trip to the gym to bang out some miles on the treadmill. I wish everyone an extraordinary day... Let's all stay sober, happy, and healthy! I will check in this evening after work!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

day 2

Hi all
Hope all is well in the june club, and PS hope you stopped dribbling, reed hope you still a day in front, and the rest of you all, as the names keep growing.

Work were ok and had a 20 min meeting and asked after if job was ok, and they said lets just see how we go, they were more interested about the people at the meeting i went to, and didnt say to much, just it helped. could they have a problem deep down????

Just back from taking the mutt out and had an hour stroll, stopped and talked to people instead of hurrying back with me largers from the shop (dog out and back in 10 minutes) thats how it was last week and eaten carbs carbs today, just checking in

Paddy x
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hello to all fellow newbies...

Day 7 sober. Went to my 1st AA meeting on Friday evening, with the mindset that it wouldn't be for me, that I couldn't possibly label myself an alcoholic... I don't drink every day, my work doesn't suffer etc etc. Okay, so when I drink, I find it difficult to say when and more and more frequently can't remember the last few hours of a night out- let alone how I got home etc etc

Boy, was I in for a shock... Every story told in the meeting resonated with me. Everyone I spoke to after the meeting said the same thing - it wasn't how often they drank, but the fact that when they started they couldn't stop.

Have read a lot of posts on this site which also resonate with me and one of the things I am grateful for is knowing there are so many out there going through the same things I am going through...

I woke on the Saturday following the meeting feeling the most positive I have in a long time, and loving the no hangover feeling. As the week has progressed it has got a bit difficult - particularly yesterday as Tuesday is usually our 'just for one club' after work. Became very stressed and agitated, and had to continually remind myself of the reasons I didn't want a drink... I hope it gets easier.

I have started cycling to work, to reduce the risk of going out after work and looking at signing myself up to a few classes in the evening, netball in the weekends etc all in the hope that my evenings and weekends will be busier, I will feel fitter and less inclined to feel like a drink. Am also really looking forward to the next meeting on Friday.

Right, thats if for me, I think I have waffled enough! I look forward to following everyones progress, and feel encouraged knowing you are all out there..

giggle
xx
Old 06-08-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Guys - Glad to see everyone is working it through another day. I just got home from work. I walked away from the party that was brewing even declined an offer of a cold one. Feeling a little down but I think it's just a touch of loneliness. Have to find new ways to fill the lonely void. Hopefully it won't be with cheese and ice cream.

Hi PS - yesterday was funny in tough way too. Started with a pre-op appointment 4 hours between the commute and visit. I talked with the doctor about alcohol and substance abuse. She told me to quit smoking cigs too or I'll end up with those little wrinkles around my mouth. Nothing about my lungs. Appealing to my vanity I guess. lol ... then later I learned that I wasn't the only one who had a rough weekend, so I shared conversations about the evils of alcohol and the desire to quit with a couple others. ... Funny thing is, I'm noticing that it was far less stressful to walk away from alcohol than it was to talk about how bad it is for me. I hope I continue to feel that way

Paddy it's great to see you're making it through. I would imagine that as long as you stay sober, your company will have no reason to let you go. Good to know you're eating again too.

Giggle - good for you for being so strong. It's hard when you get into that routine but you're obviously doing the right things to stay sober. It's tought though too because you have to say no to spending time with the group as well as to the alcohol. But maybe it gets easier and at some point we can spend time with the group without having to drink too. That's what I'm hoping for.

Hope everyone has a good evening/day/night/morning where ever you may be!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
clear coyote

Hi All

Giggle; interesting point about not 'how often' but 'can we stop?'. this often leads people to think that they do not have a problem. lovin the exercise plans

PS; dentists?? Arrrrgggg!!! your so right, much worse with a hangover.. I hate taking my son to football with a hangover.. the self-loathing?!

Paddy; I am sure that all shall be fine with work, you have done the right thing in telling them imo (not immediately obvious to me but see below re "brain fog")

Instant; sounds like you are in a better place, good to hear

Papa; read about your travails with your mother & omg you have had some challenges, and been a great son to her. Not my place to comment as who knows how one might cope, all I can say is that for us all, there can be times when we must put ourselves and our children before all else. Good luck with your journey.

Newbies / All: great to see everyone doing well. Looking forward to hearing us all loud & clear (headed) through the weekend.

Got sad today thinking about my dad who passed away when I was 15 (he was an alcoholic) Thankfully I am nowhere near the hellish place that he got to, but I get so angry with myself for even putting myself on the same page. So..been a bit low today but have been here before and am focusing on the knowledge that in a few days time I can feel that I am close to a breakthrough in terms of general well being. I am trying to build some momentum ahead of the weekend when cravings are more of a challenge to me.

Does anyone have a strategy in terms of getting through Friday / Saturday? These seem to be the days when some of us require a bit of extra strength? All I have done so far is suggest to my DW that we don't keep any alcohol in the house (the poor woman only really drinks when I do; not even sure she enjoys it to be honest... *I mustn't laugh*) Another idea was to have some ginger beer chilling in the fridge, and to keep up the exercise. Must still have brain fog, am right out of ideas.. Take Care All, Pete