Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Just quickly posting at the end of day 2.

Hi to Mama - good to be with you and welcome!

Well done to everyone else and hi to anyone new ive missed and best of luck tomorrow for paddy - in a few days you will feel so much better - I hope its not too rough.

Im not feeling so bad now I guess I didnt go as mad this last relapse but my body does not like it anymore not one little bit.

A few of my symptoms the past few days as a reminder to myself if I somehow think its a good idea to drink again:-

Queasyness
Panicy
Fidgety and restless
Severe painful indigestion
Bleeding from back passage (sorry but I need these reminders!)
Diarrhoea (sorry again)
Painful going to toilet because of the 2 above (ok ill stop now)
Guilt
Anguish
Aching kidneys
Lack of ability to function (barely at all yesterday - just about managed to work today)
Disappointment with myself
Fear and sadness

Theres probably loads more but Ill leave it at that.

I do not want to go there again!

Im very grateful to have the chance to make things better.

Good night everyone.

PS x
Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well paddy - have you considered AA or any other face to face recovery programme? I think support is very important.

Hope your insomnia settles down Citylights - I remember it took me a week or so, maybe?

Welcome to everyone - old and new
D
Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

HI Pumpkin: I am so sorry that you're going through the tough part of withdrawal, but I really appreciate you writing it down for all of us--I know I will look back at it when I feel like drinking so that I remember exactly what the past few days were like. How quickly we forget! And think, oh well, a few drinks won't make a difference, and then we're off. Hang in there and be strong, and in a few days, you'll feel so much better. Congratulations on Day Two
Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey all. I'd like to join the Juners if I could. I used to be a Marcher but have had a few struggles. Anyway, congrats to you guys for doing so well!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Saphira

D
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi pumpkin Soup. I keep a small postcard in my pocket listing all of my similar symptoms when I drank just to remind me, if the urge should arise. Please make this your last episode. It's really not worth it for a couple of hours of artificial happiness. On the other side of the card I have listed all of the things and feelings that bring a smile to my face, but did not, when I drank. Good Night Juners and June 6, 2011.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Newbie saying hi

Hi everyone, my first post on here...
Haven't quit yet but I thought joining this forum would be a good place to start. I'm a Brit living in Europe, happily married, functioning normally, good job, and never actually drunk.
However I'm an alcoholic because I drink every day and I have to accept what I am.
I think I just need a bit of encouragement in my period of cutting down prior to quitting, and you guys all seem so supportive.
Greetings from France and I wish you all well with your own individual battles and challenges.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, AlcoAbroad

D
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thx Dee74,
I'm just starting on this very tough journey so I have a lot to learn. It's great to know there are good people out there for when times get hard.
Warm rgds from the South of France
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Morning all,
Its 7.10am here in the uk, and cant do work today as legs are wobbling and panic etc, last drink i had was last night and as stated starting today, i have a question, i have told by boss i cant control my drinking etc and came clean with him, can my work sack me, been there 17 years????

Cheers
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know anything about UK labour laws Paddy -are you in a union?
they might be a good first call?

D
Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Paddy they probably can but it depends on the circumstances and you need to check your contract. If you have had alot of time off sick they will put two and two together - is it a big organisation or a small firm? If you have had no prior warnings about being off then you should be ok as long as you show them you are working hard at recovery - you will be under the spotlight from now on if you take any time off sick.

The most important thingis taking care of yourself through this withdrawal and then working to stay off the booze. Losing your job wont kill you. Whats done is done and you will find out soon enough what action they plan to take - I know its hard but try not to think about it and just look after yourself for now.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Soup View Post
Paddy they probably can but it depends on the circumstances and you need to check your contract. If you have had alot of time off sick they will put two and two together - is it a big organisation or a small firm? If you have had no prior warnings about being off then you should be ok as long as you show them you are working hard at recovery - you will be under the spotlight from now on if you take any time off sick.

The most important thingis taking care of yourself through this withdrawal and then working to stay off the booze. Losing your job wont kill you. Whats done is done and you will find out soon enough what action they plan to take - I know its hard but try not to think about it and just look after yourself for now.

Good luck.
Hi PS

Its a small firm and spoke to the boss today and he said they will support me in any way they can, but then in the same breath, we still have to run a business???
Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I guess as soon as you feel well enough to go in you need to assure them you are taking action to recover - ie seeing doctor - doing some sort of programme and then just listen to what they have to say. What he said is a bit ambiguous, they will support you BUT still have to run a business. Perhaps they will find it hard to manage without you if you are off for a long time in which case just get back as soon as you can and dont give them time to think of getting a replacement. Maybe he thinks you will need a long time to get through the withdrawals or maybe he doesnt have faith you will stop drinking? You really need to speak to them to find out where things go next. What did your doctor suggest regarding work and what you should do during withdrawal/how long it might take? For some people its a day/a few days for some they need treatment for months......

I think you are probably better and have a better chance of keeping your job with it being a small firm as long as they value you as an employee - the bigger ones have less personal interest imo.

Have you had much time off sick recently - particularly on Mondays? I nearly lost a job due to this a few years back - I didnt admit to the boozing although I think they knew - in the end I took redundancy which was the best solution all round I think and lucky for me to have that option. I am very grateful for the job I have now esp in the current climate and lucky ive ony had a couple of days off sick the past year so ive not had to admit to them about my problem (they are doctors - it probably wont go down well).

How are you feeling now?

PS x
Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi all, thanks for the info PS

well just over 12 hours since last drink and my daughter is here and she said i look good, but in side i am rattleing and anxious, back is starting to hurt, just drinking loads of tea, and took some vits this morning, no sweats as yet
Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just wanted to wish everybody the best in another day of sobriety and congratulate those who are just beginning.

I'm beginning day four. I didn't fall asleep until nearly 2am this morning. Friday night I blacked out in the late evening and woke after about 10 hours of 'sleep'. I can tell that I feel a hundred times better this morning than I did Saturday morning.

Paddy I'm glad that your daughter is there and your work is open to supporting you. Take good care of yourself today. Be proud of these first steps you are taking.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
clear coyote

urgggghhhh Day 1 again, still lying in bed. dog not walked. 4yr old not walked.

drunk thurs / fri / sat / mon... been in denial for so long about this, of course I don't have a problem (yawn)

anyways hi all... determined to quit. stopped for 3 months last year and look back on that period as one of relative happiness.

Paddy; I hope that your recovery enables you to tackle these issues as a stronger person.

Pumpkin Soup: I remember you from last autumn (& CrispLover???) Good to see you back (if you know what I mean

good luck all
Old 06-07-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clearcoyote View Post
urgggghhhh Day 1 again, still lying in bed. dog not walked. 4yr old not walked.

drunk thurs / fri / sat / mon... been in denial for so long about this, of course I don't have a problem (yawn)

anyways hi all... determined to quit. stopped for 3 months last year and look back on that period as one of relative happiness.

Paddy; I hope that your recovery enables you to tackle these issues as a stronger person.

Pumpkin Soup: I remember you from last autumn (& CrispLover???) Good to see you back (if you know what I mean

good luck all
Hi Clearcoyote

Same here for me day1, and just counting it hour by hour, god i keep looking at the clock then checking me pulse, cant wait to feel Norm, glad you back on board
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi all - and yes coyote I remember you and crisplover from before - wish I had stuck with it then - I know I am unable to disappear back "out there" again my body really cannot take the abuse anymore. I wonder how Crisp is doing - will see if I can find a trace later.

Day 3, feeling okish now, just a sense of doom when I look at the mess in my house and the state of my gardens - where to start etc. It emphasises my lonliness that I will have to try and tackle it all myself - I guess little goals and achievements and I will get there eventually. My eldest daughter might be encouraged to help me out now and then but I cant see the younger one being remotely interested. I realise I am jumping ahead of the gun hear and must put sobriety first - it just seems to be getting to me today. On the upside ive had very little thoughts about drink today and no desire to do so - its just a habit to come to mind - the past weeks of mostly being sober have thankfully gotten me used to not considering every day after work a reason to have a drink - to me thats a big part of the battle.

How are you doing now Paddy?

Better get the dinner on - nice chicken, peppers, mushrooms in tomato sauce with pasta for me and the youngest - with grated cheese on top - yum.

May check back later - hope all is well with all.

PS x
Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi June club

Ps, look forward to my first cooked meal, threw the toast up yesterday morning as was pileing the beers down me neck, and only thing i have had is a cuppa soup, as feel bloated and full, prob cos off the larger as made my inside swollen?

going to hit a meeting thursday as that is my local 1 in Basildon, and hope tomorrow i feel a tad better and panic level have eased. well done all members of the june club